Sponsored

What Warranties to get?

francisco511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I got suckered into getting the extended 8yr warranty. I called my dealership to cancel it yesterday but they said I would have to go in to sign papers. I'm out of town for another 3 weeks hopefully it doesn't increase the cancellation fee by too much. Anyone else have past experiences with canceling extended warranties?
Sponsored

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
I'll be heading into the dealership next week to place my order for my Eco Boost Premium. What warranties should I get/avoid? This is my first time purchasing a car.
If you aren't planing on modding or racing at all and like the piece of mind of a warranty, extend the warranty as long as you're going to keep the car.
Beware, the temptation to tune that ecoboost is going to be huge!

Hw5252

1st Mustang!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt convertible
I got suckered into getting the extended 8yr warranty. I called my dealership to cancel it yesterday but they said I would have to go in to sign papers. I'm out of town for another 3 weeks hopefully it doesn't increase the cancellation fee by too much. Anyone else have past experiences with canceling extended warranties?
Look like being in Cali you don't have a cancellation fee for 60 days. Don't let them sucker you on the way out too.
https://www.floodfordesp.com/Ford%20ESP/Brocures/ESP_cancellation_state.pdf

OP
OP
detailz03

detailz03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
77 Corvette Black W/Flames
I may buy one this time around, but this time i wanna be clear on what it covers. I bought one for my Taurus (its expired now) and one time when i went in to get a repair under the warranty i was told it was not covered. I was under the impression it was like the 3/36 bumper to bumper, but i was later told it was not. So, basically i wasted $1400 for nothing. Lesson learned, make sure you are clear on what it covers. If its nothing like the standard warranty ill decline it.
Good point, and you're talking about the extended warranty, correct?

OP
OP
detailz03

detailz03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
If you aren't planing on modding or racing at all and like the piece of mind of a warranty, extend the warranty as long as you're going to keep the car.
Beware, the temptation to tune that ecoboost is going to be huge!
Ooo I already got the itch to tune and change some things. I'd like to balance MPG & HP or at least not sacrifice too much MPG so who knows. But changing things on it is all brand new to me so it'll be exciting to learn how to do stuff.

Sponsored

Jeepwx03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang, 15 Mustang GT PP, 13 F150 FX4
Adding a tune won't necessarily effect your warranty. Many have done so, including myself with no issues. I even had a second gear synchro replaced on my 08 and I had a CAI and tune. Dealership didn't mention that at all.

Jeepwx03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Jeepwx03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a sticky in the 5.0 mod section.

OP
OP
detailz03

detailz03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Jeepwx03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

kc3333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 YB Boss, 2012 SGM MCA
It's been said, but I'll sum up my view.

If you get the warranty, get it from the mfgr. They want to build brand loyalty in their product more than the more insurance oriented offerings. I find them price-competitive, too.

You don't have to be in a rush, unless you want to roll the cost into your auto loan. You have up until your 3-yr bumper-to-bumper expires to purchase it, although I think the cost goes up a little each year.

On the mods front - both the B2B, 5-yr, and extend warranties will not be voided outright if you mod, from what I can tell after 3 years reading these forums including Ford Cust Srvc responses. I have a Boss, and the track key was of some debate for quite a while. Only if the mod can be shown to have caused the problem will they deny your claim. And, here is where the dealer becomes important. Some issues are certainly judgement calls.

As said above: shop online. I like Flood Ford. Online prices are often 1/2 the 'list' price your dealer can quote. I bet they will negotiate, just like on invoice vs. MSRP.

Ford's plan, probably others, offer a pro-rata refund if you sell your car, or you can transfer it to the new buyer for a small fee. To me, it helps makes this a low-risk purchase and may offer some real peace of mind to a future buyer if you don't trade your car.

I understand when people decide not to buy the plans. I've just had enough very expensive repairs among all the brands I've owned, that I find it's worth it - more than broke even. And, with Ford's, you can pick more 'catastrophic' coverage focused only on drivetrain, or the works covering all the schmancy electronics, or something in between.

OP
OP
detailz03

detailz03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
detailz03

detailz03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
It's been said, but I'll sum up my view.

If you get the warranty, get it from the mfgr. They want to build brand loyalty in their product more than the more insurance oriented offerings. I find them price-competitive, too.

You don't have to be in a rush, unless you want to roll the cost into your auto loan. You have up until your 3-yr bumper-to-bumper expires to purchase it, although I think the cost goes up a little each year.

On the mods front - both the B2B, 5-yr, and extend warranties will not be voided outright if you mod, from what I can tell after 3 years reading these forums including Ford Cust Srvc responses. I have a Boss, and the track key was of some debate for quite a while. Only if the mod can be shown to have caused the problem will they deny your claim. And, here is where the dealer becomes important. Some issues are certainly judgement calls.

As said above: shop online. I like Flood Ford. Online prices are often 1/2 the 'list' price your dealer can quote. I bet they will negotiate, just like on invoice vs. MSRP.

Ford's plan, probably others, offer a pro-rata refund if you sell your car, or you can transfer it to the new buyer for a small fee. To me, it helps makes this a low-risk purchase and may offer some real peace of mind to a future buyer if you don't trade your car.

I understand when people decide not to buy the plans. I've just had enough very expensive repairs among all the brands I've owned, that I find it's worth it - more than broke even. And, with Ford's, you can pick more 'catastrophic' coverage focused only on drivetrain, or the works covering all the schmancy electronics, or something in between.
I'll probably wait a year till I actually get insurance since a main point was, you can buy it before it expires so that'll help with the cost and I'm definitely avoiding the dealership's "warranties".

I have to agree with you on this. Being a college student I rarely have the time or the money to take my car to a shop if something happened. So if I get some warranties and never use them, I can't complain much because I rather not have to deal with that. I'll have to navigate through all of those with a fine pick comb. It's so hard because in general, you just never know what you'll need.

RisingForce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90 tempo.
Since mine isnt a daily driver, I wont put that many miles on it. I ended up purchasing an 8 year 75000 miles Premiumcare with $0 deductible and Tirecare option.
Sponsored