What to get, 2016 GT or a 2013 SRT8 Challenger

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
I ordered my Mustang at the end of 2016. It has everything but the Recaro's. And I am still giddier than a 17-year-old girl who just got asked to go to the prom every time I take it out for a rip. Looked at the Challenger and am glad that I did not buy for many of the same reasons already covered. My wife has never driven it. We joined a local MCA affiliated Mustang club, and she was just elected Secretary of the club. I am quite active with them also. So, it has provided driving fun for me and opportunities to meet really good people in the club and we have made many new friendships. I keep my cars until the scrap yards won't give me $50 for them so I am looking forward to driving a classic in the club some day in the future.

In case you did not get it, my vote is for you to buy the Mustang.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The Challenger is a 2013 SRT8 6 spd with 18k, and itā€™s as nice as they get. The Mustang is $28k and the Challenger is $33k.
Those prices, esp challenger are beyond the or it of mars. Whack 10 large off that challenger price to start.

The challenger needs a healthy application of money to resemble something other than a dingy in 5ft swells. Until I drove one, I never imagined they made cars that bad.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I saw t

I saw that Challenger at Audi. Live down the street from the place. I thing you should stick with a Mustang. I looked hard and long for a 6 spd manual. Scats, Camaros. I ended up ordering a mach 1 hp. No regrets.
I literally work 5 minutes from Audi Of Nashua. That Challenger was as clean as they get, interior is pretty straight forward too (a little fancier than the Mustang). Anyway, I can certainly take a ride to Best Ford, I just feel like Iā€™m trying to stay under $30k at this point. I wouldnā€™t mind finding the premium and performance package together in a Mustang. And those Recaros which seem to be a little tricky to find, are pretty damn cool too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What did they say on the Challenger forum?
I havenā€™t asked. I already have accounts on most of the Mustang forums since Iā€™ve owned a few in the past. But it takes two seconds to create one so it couldnā€™t hurt?

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I havenā€™t asked. I already have accounts on most of the Mustang forums since Iā€™ve owned a few in the past. But it takes two seconds to create one so it couldnā€™t hurt?
Come over to challengertalk.com and we'll give you what for. šŸ˜„

At least you're not looking to trade your s650 for a Prius.

If you're standard size and height the recaro seats are fine. If you're of the large persuasion make sure you fit.

Aks550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ak
Vehicle(s)
2023 s550
The 6.4 Hemi is an amazing engine. Tons of low end torque which makes it a blast red light to red light. I've had several 6.4 and 5.7 Hemi's. Put a lot of miles on them and never had any issues. Only downside to them is they don't respond to mods very well unless you go boost. The 5.0 is a completely different experience. The harder you drive it the funner it gets. Way more options when modding the Mustang too. I personally don't think you can go wrong with either depending on your goal with them. The Challenger is a cool looking muscle car with a retro vibe and the S550 is on of the best looking cars on the road.
6.4 is a dog once you pass 80mph and up. Push rod always will be push ro.... Multi cam and valves like 5.0 builds steam at high speed.

Two happiest day of my life with charger scat pack Daytona, the day I got it and the day I sold it.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Buy the Mustang and with the money saved, get an ESS kit, lol.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
the interior on the pre 2015 challengers was cringeworthy IMO.
The 2021 is no great shakes either. I've got the fanciest seats they offer and the ergos and support are really bad. The seat pan and the padding is just mind boggling bad. I literally sag into my seat after a while.

I'm going to talk to a seat and upholstery guy to shore it up.

Sponsored

Johnny maverick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick xlt fx4 4k lux 89 cougar xr7 5spd 84
I literally work 5 minutes from Audi Of Nashua. That Challenger was as clean as they get, interior is pretty straight forward too (a little fancier than the Mustang). Anyway, I can certainly take a ride to Best Ford, I just feel like Iā€™m trying to stay under $30k at this point. I wouldnā€™t mind finding the premium and performance package together in a Mustang. And those Recaros which seem to be a little tricky to find, are pretty damn cool too.
You want an 18 or newer. Drive one and see. The guy that works with me at the restoration shop has an 17 set. I let him drive my mach and he said the the Mustang was leaps and bounds better than the dodge. In all aspects. Ride handling and overall tightness. I opted for the sport seats not Recaros. more adjustable. More comfortable. They hold you in just fine. Also if I want racing seats to track my car I'll have seats made for me instead of the one size fits all Recaros. They make shoes in all sizes. Bottom line you already have a fondness for mustangs. Get a Mustang.

Johnny maverick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick xlt fx4 4k lux 89 cougar xr7 5spd 84
You want an 18 or newer. Drive one and see. The guy that works with me at the restoration shop has an 17 set. I let him drive my mach and he said the the Mustang was leaps and bounds better than the dodge. In all aspects. Ride handling and overall tightness. I opted for the sport seats not Recaros. more adjustable. More comfortable. They hold you in just fine. Also if I want racing seats to track my car I'll have seats made for me instead of the one size fits all Recaros. They make shoes in all sizes. Bottom line you already have a fondness for mustangs. Get a Mustang.
My coworker has a 17 Challenger srt. Self correction sucks

Magnetic Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
6.4 is a dog once you pass 80mph and up. Push rod always will be push ro.... Multi cam and valves like 5.0 builds steam at high speed.

Two happiest day of my life with charger scat pack Daytona, the day I got it and the day I sold it.
My SRT wasn't like that. lol. It pulled hard until at least 130. MY R/T 5.7 however, it's a pig at highway speeds.
Sponsored