Sponsored

What to get, 2016 GT or a 2013 SRT8 Challenger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Like the title says, I need a little persuasion. Yes, I’m on a Mustang forum so I’m already leaning in that direction. The 2016 is a 6 spd GT with the performance package and 61k. The hood has some of that corrosion that seems to be common on these and a decent nick on the passenger door. The Challenger is a 2013 SRT8 6 spd with 18k, and it’s as nice as they get. The Mustang is $28k and the Challenger is $33k. That hemi lifter issue scares me, but I’ve owned other hemi cars without any issues. Which ever car I buy will see maybe 3-4k miles a year. I think this generation Mustang lowered with some nice wheels is about as good as a car can look too
Sponsored

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Performance Package
Like the title says, I need a little persuasion. Yes, I’m on a Mustang forum so I’m already leaning in that direction. The 2016 is a 6 spd GT with the performance package and 61k. The hood has some of that corrosion that seems to be common on these and a decent nick on the passenger door. The Challenger is a 2013 SRT8 6 spd with 18k, and it’s as nice as they get. The Mustang is $28k and the Challenger is $33k. That hemi lifter issue scares me, but I’ve owned other hemi cars without any issues. Which ever car I buy will see maybe 3-4k miles a year. I think this generation Mustang lowered with some nice wheels is about as good as a car can look too
Honestly, given what you've shared, it seems like you've already made up your mind on the Mustang. Because on paper, the Challenger feels like the obvious choice in my mind. 43k fewer miles, "as nice as they get," and only $5k more than the Mustang? If you were indifferent, I'd think that would be pretty easy. Can't blame you if you go for the Mustang, of course. As you mentioned, this is a Mustang forum, so we've all obviously chosen Mustangs over the competition for one reason or another.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
That’s exactly what I keep telling myself, it’s only $5000 more but it adds up. It’s 43k less miles (and I love a low mileage car) but mileage can also be deceiving. Had a WRX with 49k miles that was the biggest piece of crap, while my Lincoln with 165k was immaculate. It’s justifying the payment for a car I don’t NEED. But the other caveat is the dealer with the Mustang is giving me $7000 for my trade. I haven’t been able to find anyone else willing to pay more than $4000. So it’s about $7k difference between the two cars.

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
That’s exactly what I keep telling myself, it’s only $5000 more but it adds up. It’s 43k less miles (and I love a low mileage car) but mileage can also be deceiving. Had a WRX with 49k miles that was the biggest piece of crap, while my Lincoln with 165k was immaculate. It’s justifying the payment for a car I don’t NEED. But the other caveat is the dealer with the Mustang is giving me $7000 for my trade. I haven’t been able to find anyone else willing to pay more than $4000. So it’s about $7k difference between the two cars.
I see where you're coming from. I suppose the next couple things to consider are the purpose of the car and whether either option fits exactly what you want. You mentioned this car would only get 3-4k miles per year, so I'm guessing it's just a fun car? In that case, while $7k is a good amount of money, if you're simply choosing the cheaper option because of the money, are you at least as happy with what you're getting over what you're passing on? As for either of these being what you want, does either car check most, if not all, of your boxes? Or are you just eager to get something now and are actually settling? I know it's hard to wait when you're all set to get a new toy, but if these aren't quite what you would pick if building them yourself, you may find yourself wishing you had waited just a little longer when one becomes available later.

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Don't get a Fiat, go for the Mustang easy choice. Plus the Challenger is 3 years older. Coyote being a high revving V8 and the sound it makes is something else. Plus the after market for the Mustang is excellent.

60K is nothing. My Coyote had 130K miles ran perfect, just like new.

Sorry I am biased. LOL

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’ll say this, in my 20’s getting a new car (even if it wasn’t anything special) was always exciting. I’m definitely a “car” guy, and I can finally afford something I like, but I just can’t get excited about anything I’ve looked at (maybe I’m just getting old, being 40 sucks). I like Mustang’s and this generation, even if I’m not showing it with any emotion. And I know I want a toy, because for the last 10 years I’ve always had one. My daily driver is a POS Honda Odyssey, so it’s kind of a need too. I like having something I can look forward to driving once in a while (or something I can use when my van is down or my wife’s car isn’t available).

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Don't get a Fiat, go for the Mustang easy choice. Plus the Challenger is 3 years older. Coyote being a high revving V8 and the sound it makes is something else. Plus the after market for the Mustang is excellent.

60K is nothing. My Coyote had 130K miles ran perfect, just like new.

Sorry I am biased. LOL
I like hearing that you got yours to 130k. Makes me feel a bit better buying something with 60k.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I’ll say this, in my 20’s getting a new car (even if it wasn’t anything special) was always exciting. I’m definitely a “car” guy, and I can finally afford something I like, but I just can’t get excited about anything I’ve looked at (maybe I’m just getting old, being 40 sucks). I know I want a toy, because for the last 10 years I’ve always had one. My daily driver is a POS Honda Odyssey, so it’s kind of a need too. I like having something I can look forward to driving once in a while (or something I can use when my van is down or my wife’s car isn’t available).
I am 37 and I absolutely love driving my 6 speed Mach 1 daily. Whipple your Mustang and you would have the perfect beast of toy. lol

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I like hearing that you got yours to 130k. Makes me feel a bit better buying something with 60k.
Yep there is tons with high miles and people boost them to the moon if you look around the forums. In stock form well maintained the Coyote is very reliable. I think even some folks boosted have decent miles on them. Just make sure the one you are buying is stock and maintained well.

Sponsored

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
I’ll say this, in my 20’s getting a new car (even if it wasn’t anything special) was always exciting. I’m definitely a “car” guy, and I can finally afford something I like, but I just can’t get excited about anything I’ve looked at (maybe I’m just getting old, being 40 sucks). I like Mustang’s and this generation, even if I’m not showing it with any emotion. And I know I want a toy, because for the last 10 years I’ve always had one. My daily driver is a POS Honda Odyssey, so it’s kind of a need too. I like having something I can look forward to driving once in a while (or something I can use when my van is down or my wife’s car isn’t available).
Well, I do want to be clear, I'm only raising the questions to help you consider things that you may not have already. Obviously, it's not like you can make a wrong decision here. Maybe one that's better or worse for you, but not necessarily right or wrong. That said, looks like you're in NH? Which likely means anything you buy probably won't get much use for the next few months anyway? If so, the good news is you can afford to be patient. Whether that is in deciding between the 2 options you've mentioned or for something else entirely if you decided to go that route. But if I'm being honest, what it sounds like to me is, you've got enough to afford a toy, you really want one now, these are the best 2 you've found so far, and you'd like to make something happen sooner rather than later. It'll be totally fine if you get either the Mustang or Charger now. But, it'll also be totally fine if you wait a bit for something that does get you excited.

Magony15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP Base/Prem, 2009 Ram 1500
2016 was the best year of the S550. Having said that, my '09 Ram is the best vehicle I've ever owned. Took over 150,000 miles to develop the Hemi tick. No other problems.

Shadowdriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 1994 Corvette 1984 Corvette 2015 Kawasaki ZX14R 2000Suzuki TLR1000
Drive them both as much as they will allow and decide what you really want and plan to do with the car . It's a apples/oranges comparison. I put 110k hard miles on my SRT8 , loved it, lots of road course time actually , and the occasional drag strip runs. The car was bulletproof and the handling belied its weight, But it is a large heavy musclecar that can corner well , for a large hevy machine. The Mustang is a pony car and true to its roots. its a revver not a torquer, and the driving experience is quite different. If you get a base GT I highly recommend suspension upgrades if you push cornering limits. Both are amazing machines - they just have different missions. There's no wrong choice here if you get what you want in the end.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I see where you're coming from. I suppose the next couple things to consider are the purpose of the car and whether either option fits exactly what you want. You mentioned this car would only get 3-4k miles per year, so I'm guessing it's just a fun car? In that case, while $7k is a good amount of money, if you're simply choosing the cheaper option because of the money, are you at least as happy with what you're getting over what you're passing on? As for either of these being what you want, does either car check most, if not all, of your boxes? Or are you just eager to get something now and are actually settling? I know it's hard to wait when you're all set to get a new toy, but if these aren't quite what you would pick if building them yourself, you may find yourself wishing you had waited just a little longer when one becomes available later.
Well, I do want to be clear, I'm only raising the questions to help you consider things that you may not have already. Obviously, it's not like you can make a wrong decision here. Maybe one that's better or worse for you, but not necessarily right or wrong. That said, looks like you're in NH? Which likely means anything you buy probably won't get much use for the next few months anyway? If so, the good news is you can afford to be patient. Whether that is in deciding between the 2 options you've mentioned or for something else entirely if you decided to go that route. But if I'm being honest, what it sounds like to me is, you've got enough to afford a toy, you really want one now, these are the best 2 you've found so far, and you'd like to make something happen sooner rather than later. It'll be totally fine if you get either the Mustang or Charger now. But, it'll also be totally fine if you wait a bit for something that does get you excited.
I want a toy now, and I know I should wait until spring (that’s what I keep telling myself). Unfortunately, I’m so damn stubborn and once I start thinking about something (like getting a car) I can’t stop until it’s done. But I also want to get rid of my trade before it turns into a heavy paperweight, if you get what I’m saying. I also feel like Scat Pack’s, SRT8’s are expensive for what you get? I was looking at Charger Scat’s and I couldn’t find one for under $36-37k. And I can afford the toy, but a $5k difference in price is something to consider for a household income around $140k.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
2016 was the best year of the S550. Having said that, my '09 Ram is the best vehicle I've ever owned. Took over 150,000 miles to develop the Hemi tick. No other problems.
Really, why is that?
Sponsored