Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rampantrenders.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
MBC (for now)
Hey guys, I was just curious as to how many Mustangs are actually V8s?
And, do you think the EB-4 will take from the GT market to reduce the percentage of GTs? Or, will it take from the V6 to raise Fords per-vehicle sales price?
Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Neither.

The new Mustang will pull in buyers who would've NEVER considered a Mustang before.

Those new buyers will probably opt for the efficient model, & enjoy the new proper ride qualities.

KZStang

Disagree, I think it will be both. If the I4 is priced only $1500 above the base model, it will be an easy entry level performance Mustang for would-be V6 buyers. With the rising cost of the V8 both here and particularly in Europe, and the EcoBoost PP likely to be a VERY competent performer, the I4 will easily steal sales from both ends.

The new Mustang will pull in buyers that would never have considered it before, but that is less about the new engine and more about new styling, more modern tech, and better quality fit and finish (hopefully).

As for current take rates, for 2012 the numbers looked like this:

GT Vert: 4.6%
GT Coupe: 27.2%
GT500 Vert: 1%
GT500 Coupe: 4.4%
V6 Vert: 16.3%
V6 Coupe: 46.5%

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
ALL of the above.

It will pull in some new owners that have never owned a Mustang before.
It will take a few former GT owners on the low end.
It will take a few V6 owners on the higher end.

What the percents are, I have no idea.

Callie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 GT Convertible
Hey guys, I was just curious as to how many Mustangs are actually V8s?
And, do you think the EB-4 will take from the GT market to reduce the percentage of GTs? Or, will it take from the V6 to raise Fords per-vehicle sales price?
V8 sales as a percentage will decrease simply by Ford adding another engine. Ford wouldn't go through all this trouble if it were only to take away from V6 sales. More choices are great for the brand.

That said I think total V8 sales numbers will increase heavily from non-pony car cross shoppers with the GT benchmarking moving up another level.

Sponsored

BLITZM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBA
Neither.

The new Mustang will pull in buyers who would've NEVER considered a Mustang before.

Those new buyers will probably opt for the efficient model, & enjoy the new proper ride qualities.
Correct and incorrect.
Yep - keen as on this new Mustang - and gonna go for a V8.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
If Ford hits the weight goal, I will be one of the folks leaving the GT ranks for the EB4 with Performance Package. My desires are for more than just the sound of a V8 and burning down the strip. I need useable power for autocross on street tires (the current 5.0 is already over that number) and the lower overall weight. If Ford delivers, that is where I go. If they don't and it weighs more than I think it should, I'll keep my 09 and go nuts on it.

GMAN6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Focus
Yes, it depends on the final numbers. I'm really up in the air right now. I want the PP and the price and gas mileage is a factor.

If the I4 comes out light and powerful, capable of 13.4 stock and 13.1 with tune and tires, then I would enjoy outrunning some base SS Camaros with my 4 cylinder:)

On the other hand, If the GT comes in lighter and more powerful running 12.3 stock and it can go in the 11's with just tune and tires....well, it would be a hard choice:)

OP
OP
Rampant

Rampant

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rampantrenders.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
MBC (for now)
So, let's assume a 100 pound weight savings on the EB-4 -- is that enough of a weight savings to choose the 4 over the 8?

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
So, let's assume a 100 pound weight savings on the EB-4 -- is that enough of a weight savings to choose the 4 over the 8?
If the 450+ HP rumors for the GT are true, I don't think the I4 will even be close to the V8, 100lbs difference or not.

Will the I4 be fun to drive? I bet so.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Yes, it depends on the final numbers. I'm really up in the air right now. I want the PP and the price and gas mileage is a factor.

If the I4 comes out light and powerful, capable of 13.4 stock and 13.1 with tune and tires, then I would enjoy outrunning some base SS Camaros with my 4 cylinder:)

On the other hand, If the GT comes in lighter and more powerful running 12.3 stock and it can go in the 11's with just tune and tires....well, it would be a hard choice:)

Automatic 5.0's are already running upper 11's with nothing but tires and a tune.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
Depends on the final numbers. If the EB4 comes in 3300lbs or less, I'm game, if it's over that, the handling dynamics are going to have to be astronomically better for me to make the leap... otherwise my GT has the same power, same torque, similar weights (My car sits at 3425ish in competition trim). The only advantages the EB4 would have would be better weight distribution (this is an assumption, my car is already 52.6/47.4), more torque down low, and better fuel economy. Not enough to justify a car payment again.

Mriley

Depends on the final numbers. If the EB4 comes in 3300lbs or less, I'm game, if it's over that, the handling dynamics are going to have to be astronomically better for me to make the leap... otherwise my GT has the same power, same torque, similar weights (My car sits at 3425ish in competition trim). The only advantages the EB4 would have would be better weight distribution (this is an assumption, my car is already 52.6/47.4), more torque down low, and better fuel economy. Not enough to justify a car payment again.
I guess a nicer interior and new design doesn't register for you?

I think the question of would you get the I4 instead of the V8 is assuming you would buy the new GT and not keep your current car. That is the only way the question makes sense since a big reason to go for the I4 instead of the V8 is the price savings. Obviously if keeping your current car is very much still on the table for you, that's not a big factor for you.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
I guess a nicer interior and new design doesn't register for you?

I think the question of would you get the I4 instead of the V8 is assuming you would buy the new GT and not keep your current car. That is the only way the question makes sense since a big reason to go for the I4 instead of the V8 is the price savings. Obviously if keeping your current car is very much still on the table for you, that's not a big factor for you.
No, a new interior wasn't a factor because my current 2009 interior is more than satisfactory in my eyes. The interior on the new one will be more of the same or better. I don't find myself fondling every square inch of an interior so so long as the things I touch frequently are solid and feel good, the rest doesn't matter. If anything, I prefer the looks of my 2009 interior over that of the new one but that is all visual.

I will not be keeping my 09 if I get a new one because I can't afford the insurance on the 09 in addition to the new car and new car payments. I will be using my 09 as a trade in to keep payments low. I also don't have any place to put them both, yet.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
No, a new interior wasn't a factor because my current 2009 interior is more than satisfactory in my eyes. The interior on the new one will be more of the same or better. I don't find myself fondling every square inch of an interior so so long as the things I touch frequently are solid and feel good, the rest doesn't matter. If anything, I prefer the looks of my 2009 interior over that of the new one but that is all visual.

I will not be keeping my 09 if I get a new one because I can't afford the insurance on the 09 in addition to the new car and new car payments. I will be using my 09 as a trade in to keep payments low. I also don't have any place to put them both, yet.
In your initial answer you said that you'd take the EB4 over your current car if the weight was right. I think the question was more along the lines of "how much would the weight reduction need to be to choose the 2015 EB4 over the 2015 GT?" If you were answering that question, I didn't pick up on it.

For me, if the GT was 3600 lbs or less I'd go for it.
If the GT was 3700 lbs I'd probably pass, unless it was really, really good.
In that case, if the EB4 was 3400 lbs or less, I'd consider it. I'm not a fan of boosted 4-cylinders, so I'd need to prove to myself that I enjoyed the engine (and car) before going that route.

-T
Sponsored