Sponsored

What oil are you using?

What Oil are you using?

• Total voters

searsman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 GT Premium, 08 GTCS Convertible, 15 GT Premium, 17 GT Convertible, 19 Ecoboost
I've been considering using Royal Purple and change it once a year. I will only put about 5000 miles a year at most on the car. I have used Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra in everything else for years and absolutely no problems at all, but I'm interested in reading what others are saying.
Sponsored

2Cool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP in CO
Rotella T6 5W-40 with a Motorcraft FL820S filter.

OP
OP
Varekai

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Well I was at Walmart today and decided to pick up some oil since I am at the 1k mark, tho I won't do the change until 1500 miles. Actually picked up Pennzoil Platinum. It was slightly cheaper than the Mobil1 and seems to be getting great reviews.

2015-MUSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
I ve noticed some people recommending the semi synthetic for the first oil change and then switching to synthetic. Is there any logic to this or do most go strait to synthetic?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Varekai

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Nope, no logic at all. If you are going to go the full synth route just do it your first change.

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I ve noticed some people recommending the semi synthetic for the first oil change and then switching to synthetic. Is there any logic to this or do most go strait to synthetic?
The logic is that the engine will break-in (wear) faster with non-synthetic oil.

Most people that are anal about lubricants will put at least 1000 miles on the factory fill and then change out to a synthetic of their choice.

Some engines come with synthetic oil from the factory so take it for what its worth.

Chaos_Being

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Premium, 2006 Scion tC
I haven't changed it yet, but I'm planning on using Mobil 1. It's what I have used in my old car for years, and the same weight even! So when I buy oil I can buy two of the bulk 5 quart jugs and have the amount I need to change the oil in both cars :)

I'm halfway tempted to try something else, but I plan on changing my oil at 5k intervals so any decent oil should work. I tend to be able to get Mobil 1 on sale around here anyways, so bonus there.

CooterK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot GT PP
Rotella T6 5W-40 with a Motorcraft FL820S filter.
I know the Subaru and other turbo car guys love that stuff, but I was under the impression its benefits were more for turbo engines than anything else. What would be the benefit of using it in a NA engine?

Sponsored

Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang
I've been using Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic on pretty much all of my vehicles for years because it's relatively cheap, readily available, they provide me stickers, and it seems to work just fine.

Sinnah

Mustang Newb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Genesis
I know the Subaru and other turbo car guys love that stuff, but I was under the impression its benefits were more for turbo engines than anything else. What would be the benefit of using it in a NA engine?
I'm interested in hearing the explanation as well. I do know they recommend that oil for my Genesis which I've been using. Before that I had an Ion redline with a TVS and used Mobil 1 for the 7 years I owned that car and never had an issue. But I was also under the impression it (Rotella) only benefits Turbo cars as well.

Process

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche 911 Turbo S & 2016 Shelby GT350R
Amsoil Signature Series 10w30. Switching to Amsoil Dominator 10w30 once my Procharger and E85 swap happens in a few weeks.
Sponsored