Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

Sick03L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang Premium Automagic
Have a look at my posts 1767 (on page 118) and post 1773 (on page 119).
I wanted to take the guess work and subjective part out of the equation, so I purchased this Audio Spectrum Analyzer for just a few bucks from the App Store. The problem is shown very clearly on the screen, as is the result from my at-home DS balance. It's a very small investment which could help your dealership visit a success.

Cheers
At home Balance FTW here too!!!! Not sure why everyone is fighting this so hard. Its a shit balanced ds / yoke combo. Balance it per the instructions and be done with it.. enjoy your car.
Sponsored

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150
I have improved the NVH with my stock DS on my new 2016 GT PP by:

-raising the rear of the IRS cradle .250" by removing the sag in the rear bushings

-dropping the front of the IRS cradle down .551" via shims

-dropping the transmission angle down, by shimming the cross member down .250"

This has resulted in the best working angles I have found, basing the results strictly from driveline angles and how they relate to the NVH of the driveline at multiple driving speeds.

The above has placed my engine/trans angle down 3.5~degrees, and the rear pinion flange angle up about 2.9~degrees.

Now, I have not had much time to test this modification for durability, or for negative consequences, or ill wanted suspension geometry changes - as I have been simply working to improve the NVH that I believe is affiliated with the driveline due to what I believe to be poor working angles..
Wow, that is some serious shimming- 1/2 in on the cradle and 1/4 in on the cross member. Makes you wonder why Ford set the car up this way in the design and if the angles are much different for GT, EB and V6.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
I returned my car to stock and test drove it after each removal. I was surprised that when I removed my CB005 a TON of the 55 and 80mph vibration went away. Not sure I guess they locked the cradle in and the vibration that is already there showed up more. Now the question is how do i get ford to fix what is obviously a drive-line vibration but will not show up with the stock rubber.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150
I returned my car to stock and test drove it after each removal. I was surprised that when I removed my CB005 a TON of the 55 and 80mph vibration went away. Not sure I guess they locked the cradle in and the vibration that is already there showed up more. Now the question is how do i get ford to fix what is obviously a drive-line vibration but will not show up with the stock rubber.
You might want to try the Steeda subframe braces. They keep the subframe from moving but don't change any of the mounting bushings/rubber. No increase in NVH and they reduced the power on/off vibration my car had to negligible. But, if the DS is not balanced, the only fix for that is to get it balanced. Take it to a different dealer, call Ford customer service, etc.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
You might want to try the Steeda subframe braces. They keep the subframe from moving but don't change any of the mounting bushings/rubber. No increase in NVH and they reduced the power on/off vibration my car had to negligible. But, if the DS is not balanced, the only fix for that is to get it balanced. Take it to a different dealer, call Ford customer service, etc.
We can help!

You can shoot me an email at [email protected].

Best Regards,

TJ

Sponsored

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
I have a 15 GT convertible, 1375 miles. Parked the car in the garage a few weeks back. All was fine with it the last time I drove it. Took it out for a spin today and when I got going about 40 mph it started shaking like I was driving on a square wheel. I said screw it and punched it and took it up to about 90 mph. Figured if it broke they could tow it and fix it. After hitting 90 the car smoothed out a bit. I turned down a road that has expansion cracks about every twenty feet and they are bumpy. Drove a mile on that road and the vibration went away.
I'm not trolling, I don't really like the car. When I first got it I was going to mod it and do a supercharger. I haven't used it much in the year and three months I've had it. I also have a 16 Challenger ScatPac and I love that car. I've owned a number of Mustangs going all the way back to 1969 when I bought my first new car, a 69 Sportroof. I really wanted to like this car. I love the styling and the interior. I hate the auto trans and the convertible doesn't handle all that well.
I would have gotten rid of the car long before now but the wife really likes the way it looks and I was hanging onto it to give her some pleasure taking rides in the country with the top down. She's disabled and doesn't get to do too much anymore. Now I just need to figure out what I want to trade it in for.

Too bad my local John Deere dealer doesn't take cars in trade. I need a new tractor. :D

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I have a 15 GT convertible, 1375 miles. Parked the car in the garage a few weeks back. All was fine with it the last time I drove it. Took it out for a spin today and when I got going about 40 mph it started shaking like I was driving on a square wheel. I said screw it and punched it and took it up to about 90 mph. Figured if it broke they could tow it and fix it. After hitting 90 the car smoothed out a bit. I turned down a road that has expansion cracks about every twenty feet and they are bumpy. Drove a mile on that road and the vibration went away.
If the car sat for a couple of weeks, then the tires were flat spotted and smoothed back out after driving - normal behavior. I see that on my 2015 GT all the time if the car sits for a week or more between drives. Takes a few miles of driving for the tires to smooth back out.

mbaran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My dealer replaced my driveshaft, even though they're insistent that "we can't feel the problem, before or after"

Why replace the DS if they can't feel it?

They want me to take the foreman on a drive tomorrow.

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
Got a call from the second dealer today, they replaced the driveshaft (again), but they say that there is still a vibration. They have ordered a wheel bearing to install tomorrow but we all know that is not going to fix it. But I am just happy that the dealer drove it and said that we still feel a vibration. That's huge. Maybe next step is FSE. I wish I had one of u guys who could do the whole assembly balance with me. I would PAY! I have a sloped driveway and can't do this at home. So far I am not touching the car, letting the dealer try first.

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
If the car sat for a couple of weeks, then the tires were flat spotted and smoothed back out after driving - normal behavior. I see that on my 2015 GT all the time if the car sits for a week or more between drives. Takes a few miles of driving for the tires to smooth back out.
I thought the newer tires weren't subject to flat spotting anymore? In this case I don't think it was flat spotting. It was a very violent vibration. May just be coincidence but the right front strut started leaking after the vibration episode.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I thought the newer tires weren't subject to flat spotting anymore? In this case I don't think it was flat spotting. It was a very violent vibration. May just be coincidence but the right front strut started leaking after the vibration episode.
I was working on my GT today and had the front wheel off the ground. Could spin the wheel and see the flat spot on the tire ... so yeah, modern tires will still flat spot of the car sits for a few days. Of course the flat spots go away with a few miles of driving ... at least they are supposed to.

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
For those of you with driveshaft concerns, check out these comments:
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Mustang/2015/drivetrain/driveshaft_vibration.shtml
Nothing there is anything new to us, but thank you for sharing. My car is actualy at a dealer that gives a crap now. They did a 2nd driveshaft replacement, and a wheel bearing. They still say not fixed. They admit that They and Ford know about the problem and My diff is likely already damaged. Waiting to see what's next. I hope they can fix it, cause they are really trying. But I fear that a boring car is in my future.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150
Nothing there is anything new to us, but thank you for sharing. My car is actualy at a dealer that gives a crap now. They did a 2nd driveshaft replacement, and a wheel bearing. They still say not fixed. They admit that They and Ford know about the problem and My diff is likely already damaged. Waiting to see what's next. I hope they can fix it, cause they are really trying. But I fear that a boring car is in my future.
Are they telling you that the DL vibration causes diff damage that quickly? How many miles on your car?

Chevy has amazing deals on Camaros right now... if you can stand the styling. I'm thinking maybe back to a truck although my car is actually good now. But the AC evap problem makes me really nervous since it will be out of warranty soon and it looks like at least a 1000.00 job to have it replaced.

team_car

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
Just picked mine up. This is the receipt:

TIRE ROAD FORCE BALANCE, DRIVESHAFT SWAP, CHECK DRIVESHAFT RUN-OUT, BALANCE DRIVESHAFT, R AND R REAR HALF SHAFTS, REMOVE REAR AXLE TO INSPECT INTERNAL COMPONENTS, REINSTALL ALL COMPONENTS AND ROAD TEST, REPLACE REAR AXLE ASSEMBLY. ROAD TEST TO VERIFY REPAIR.

A quick test drive and everything seemed good. Fingers crossed.
Sponsored