D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Ford put heat extractors in the hood of the GT cars to help lower the temps. Wouldn't a v6 benefit from lower temps also? I have a CAI but wonder about lowering my IATs even more. I've even thought about insulating the outside of the CAI. Way back when I was young and smart, unlike today, we used to put spacers between the hood and hinges to raise the rear of the hood and ventilate it that way. Course this probably wouldn't get me enough gain to make a couple of hundredths. Am I crazy??
Sponsored

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler
Hood spacers that's funny as a gear head from the mid 60's I had a 57 chevy, 327/375 FI 4 speed out of a wrecked 65 vette. Ran 14" reverse chrome front wheels 15" reverse chrome in the rear with slicks. Raised the back of the hood with about 4 washers in the back bolt ane 3 wasters in the front bolt raising the back of the hook a couple of inches. I'm looking for a way to get rid of the heat in my 2015 V6 in southeast florida on a day when the temp in the 80's my IAT over a 100.

OP
OP

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
I knew there would be another old guy here. Kind of sad to think that my last car wasn't much faster than my current car but I sure wish I had it back. 72 Skylark, 455 CID, auto, 256 gears, minor upgrades, ran 13.60s all day long shifting itself at 4200 RPMs. Torque is king, it made over 500 footpounds and still got 15 MPGs. Had a 55 Chevy too plus many Mopars. I really do think if you raised the back of the hood and remove the rubber seal it would probably vent more than the factory heat extractors. Doubt most people would notice the change, and would be easy to test the effects if any.

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
Actually if you lift the back of the hood air will go in, not out. This is how cowl induction hoods work. If you want to get air out you need to vent closer to the front of the hood like where the GT350 has its vent. The GT extractors are better than nothing but they don't work as good as the one on the GT350.
[ame]

OP
OP

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Thanks for the video, the sad thing is I already knew that the base of the windshield is a high pressure area, which as you said is the rational for cowl induction. Never even thought about what effect that fact would have on my idea. After watching the video I'm thinking that sitting still there is hot air being pushed out the hood gap by the fan, and moving there would be cooler air being pushed into the engine bay due to the high pressure at the windshield base. Of course this whole idea would probably only produce a very small increase in performance, if any at all!!:frusty:

Sponsored

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
My guess is that the radiator wouldn't work as well because the engine bay would have higher pressure air.

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I knew there would be another old guy here. Kind of sad to think that my last car wasn't much faster than my current car but I sure wish I had it back. 72 Skylark, 455 CID, auto, 256 gears, minor upgrades, ran 13.60s all day long shifting itself at 4200 RPMs. Torque is king, it made over 500 footpounds and still got 15 MPGs. Had a 55 Chevy too plus many Mopars. I really do think if you raised the back of the hood and remove the rubber seal it would probably vent more than the factory heat extractors. Doubt most people would notice the change, and would be easy to test the effects if any.
I wish I could fine someone that can press the old hood louvers like we had in the 60's in my stock hood just one row in the front center. Hang in there old times.

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 DIB, 2018 HD Iron 1200
You could always try to source a GT hood. IMO a lot of work for not much return unless you are racing.

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You could always try to source a GT hood. IMO a lot of work for not much return unless you are racing.
The problum is in southeast florida your intake air temp is always over a 100 degrees and if you read the thread earler the GT hood doesn't work very well.

OP
OP

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Hood louvers, brilliant idea, haven't seen those in a long time. Didn't JC Whitney used to sell a tool so you could make your own at home? It's certainly a better idea than the guy I saw on Youtube ventilating his hood with a holesaw.

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hood louvers, brilliant idea, haven't seen those in a long time. Didn't JC Whitney used to sell a tool so you could make your own at home? It's certainly a better idea than the guy I saw on Youtube ventilating his hood with a holesaw.
I'm looking for a custom body shop in southeast florida that presses hood louvers. Looking to put 4 - 3/4" high at the front center of the hood were the GT350 has its opening. My thoughts are since the back of the hood is a high pressure flowing forward under the hook with the louvers at the front center would help create an outlet flow of the heat under the hood.:doh:
Sponsored