Sponsored

twitchy car issues after putting new wheels on

AttiS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I put new (for me, so used) wheels and tires on my car today and they look amazing but the car is now "twitchy" while accelerating hard. I haven't accelerated super hard too many times but it feels like the car is jumping left and right almost like wiggling. I have a feeling this may have something to do with my front toe (specs below) but I am anything but an expert at this.

I had PP wheels and tires on the car before and now I have 20" Stance SC-1 wheels on the car with MPSS 275/35/20 F and 295/35/20 R. The tread is good on the front and decent to not great on the rear.

I had the FRPP track pack installed in the car a few weeks ago and these were my alignment specs directly after the install:

Left side front:
Camber: -1.4
Caster: 7.7
Toe: -.01

Right Front:
Camber: -1.1
Caster: 7.4
Toe: .01

Total Toe: .01
Steer Ahead: -.01

Left Rear:
Camber: -1.1
Toe: .17

Right Rear:
Camber: -1.3
Toe .16

Total Toe: .33
Thrust Angle: .01

I feel like maybe the alignment specs might be different now that the new springs have settled a little but I am not sure.

I am wondering if putting on new wheels could somehow change the alignment or possibly change how the car needs to be aligned? Anybody else have any issues like this? I have a lifetime alignment from Firestone on the car and I figure I will take it there to see if they can help and if that doesn't work I will look into a serious alignment shop :shrug:

Thanks in advance!

Also to be clear it does not feel like vibration like an unbalanced tire and I checked and rechecked that the lugs were torqued to 150 lbs on all wheels.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Curious too. Put my summers back on after an alignment while wearing winters and the car feels weird.

If I recall the guy put my rears at -1.3 and fronts were -1.6. I'm on Steeda Progressives. I had asked for -1.5 to -1.7 in rear but he said the toe kept going way out of wack every time and I'd be waiting for a few hours for him to perfect it.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
From what I've heard from other, it's probably to do with the toe. I'm sure the front, I think rear toe more effects the wear and isn't felt as much. I see your left front is toed out -0.01 and right front is toed in 0.01. My guess is that's the problem. I'm definitely not an alignment expert but people I respect here have said shoot for total toe in target of 1/16 (+0.10).

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
Have your alignment rechecked brotha its $60 bucks or so well worth it get that all hammered out and it should get resolved.

OP
OP
AttiS550

AttiS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Have your alignment rechecked brotha its $60 bucks or so well worth it get that all hammered out and it should get resolved.
Yeah I am going to go take it in this week, I will update after the alignment

Sponsored

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
If it wasn't twitchy until you put the new to you wheels and tires on then alignment isn't the first thing I'd look at. I haven't seen tire pressure mentioned by anyone, so have you checked that?

OP
OP
AttiS550

AttiS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
If it wasn't twitchy until you put the new to you wheels and tires on then alignment isn't the first thing I'd look at. I haven't seen tire pressure mentioned by anyone, so have you checked that?
They are all at 36-38 psi according to tpms

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
They are all at 36-38 psi according to tpms
Ok, well, that's not anything extreme but depending on the TPMS error could be in the too high range for the tires (potentially). It would be a simple thing to try setting them between 33-35 psi with a real pressure gauge and see if that makes the car drive any better. Just a thought.

How wide are the wheels?

OP
OP
AttiS550

AttiS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Ok, well, that's not anything extreme but depending on the TPMS error could be in the too high range for the tires (potentially). It would be a simple thing to try setting them between 33-35 psi with a real pressure gauge and see if that makes the car drive any better. Just a thought.

How wide are the wheels?
I will give it a shot, I am taking it in tomorrow to have it looked at so if it isn't resolved after that I will try this. The front wheel is 9" wide and the rear is 10.5".

Sponsored

bodam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
I've experienced this too. Went to a staggered setup. 9 front 10 rear.

After new wheels and tires the car reacts to the road differently. Any crack and the car will drive into it. It will actually pull the steering wheel on me.

OP
OP
AttiS550

AttiS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I've experienced this too. Went to a staggered setup. 9 front 10 rear.

After new wheels and tires the car reacts to the road differently. Any crack and the car will drive into it. It will actually pull the steering wheel on me.
I feel like there are so many people on this forum with aftermarket setups that this cannot just be "normal". I am having the tire balance and alignment checked tomorrow.

Like I mentioned I had my suspension changed out a few weeks ago and had it aligned directly after and I know suspension can settle after a bit of time after install so I suspect my alignment specs may be slightly different now.

OP
OP
AttiS550

AttiS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
So i went to Firestone yesterday and had them align the car and rebalance the tires. I haven't really had too many chances to ring her out but right off the bat the car feels much better. The toe was off on the front left and the right rear.

Now obviously Firestone isn't a fantastic alignment shop, they just get it into factory range. I am going to drive the car hard some more this week and weekend and see how it feels. If it still leaves some to be desired I am going to take it to a professional alignment shop and have them really dial it in instead of just being within a certain range.

Will continue to update for scientific research purposes.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
So i went to Firestone yesterday and had them align the car and rebalance the tires. I haven't really had too many chances to ring her out but right off the bat the car feels much better. The toe was off on the front left and the right rear.

Now obviously Firestone isn't a fantastic alignment shop, they just get it into factory range. I am going to drive the car hard some more this week and weekend and see how it feels. If it still leaves some to be desired I am going to take it to a professional alignment shop and have them really dial it in instead of just being within a certain range.

Will continue to update for scientific research purposes.
Good to hear! So what did they get your toe to in the front? left, right and total?

OP
OP
AttiS550

AttiS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Good to hear! So what did they get your toe to in the front? left, right and total?
I dont have the specs in front of me unfortunately. What is strange is that one side is still negative while the other side is positive for front toe. But this is within the acceptable range according to factory specs :shrug: I know VERY little about this kind of stuff so I don't know how much this would truly affect driving :confused:
Sponsored