Sponsored

Tuned EB vs Scat Pack Challenger

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
I had a 2015 gt pp and now a scat pack charger and honestly the 5.0 is not even close . I have raced stock mustang 5.0's aloot of times and its not even a race
I also had a 15 GT and sold it for my 15 Scat Pack. The Scat Pack is faster no question and an ecoboost would get torched by me.
Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I think a lot of people are missing the point (or maybe I am). To me, the OP seemed to be asking about Seat Of The Pants (SOTP) feel, not outright speed.

In terms of SOTP, the EP and GT give totally different experiences behind the wheel.

The GT has a very flat torque curve, and maintains it well at high RPM. It is a very fast car, but needs to be driven hard and revved out to achieve peak performance.

The EB is definitely not as fast objectively, but the surge of low-end torque due to the turbos makes it feel fast. Also, since that torque drops at high RPM you tend to short shift which can make the engine feel like it isn't working as hard since you aren't revving it out as much. Of course, after 4000 RPM the torque drops pretty fast, so you lose that Net Torque that mustang_guy is talking about.

Still, for day to day driving, squirting in and out of traffic, putting the car in 3rd or 4th and blasting around canyon roads, it can feel quite strong.

I have seen many people say that the Coyote doesn't feel that special, as opposed to something like an LS/LT type engine (or the Hemi), with that big low end punch.

Heck, even the GT350 feels pretty weak under 3500 RPM, but really shines above that.

It just depends what you are going for, from a SOTP perspective.

-T

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I think a lot of people are missing the point (or maybe I am). To me, the OP seemed to be asking about Seat Of The Pants (SOTP) feel, not outright speed.

In terms of SOTP, the EP and GT give totally different experiences behind the wheel.

The GT has a very flat torque curve, and maintains it well at high RPM. It is a very fast car, but needs to be driven hard and revved out to achieve peak performance.

The EB is definitely not as fast objectively, but the surge of low-end torque due to the turbos makes it feel fast. Also, since that torque drops at high RPM you tend to short shift which can make the engine feel like it isn't working as hard since you aren't revving it out as much. Of course, after 4000 RPM the torque drops pretty fast, so you lose that Net Torque that mustang_guy is talking about.

Still, for day to day driving, squirting in and out of traffic, putting the car in 3rd or 4th and blasting around canyon roads, it can feel quite strong.

I have seen many people say that the Coyote doesn't feel that special, as opposed to something like an LS/LT type engine (or the Hemi), with that big low end punch.

Heck, even the GT350 feels pretty weak under 3500 RPM, but really shines above that.

-T
You were nicer than I was. My patience on forums isn't exactly high. Someone outta buy you a beer for the exemplary patience you put forth. :cheers:

Zimm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6
Scatpack is faster than a stock GT. There's no way you're keeping up with a Scatpack without an upgraded turbo in an EB if the SP driver is even remotely competent.

Scatpack is a beast at almost all RPMs and the A8 shifts so fast its crazy.

Sponsored

OP
OP

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP

-T

This. Thank you lol :cheers:

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0

-T
Basically this, the motors just feel different. A 350hp LS1 "feels" stronger than the 5.0 but doesn't make as much power. Same reason GM went with the LT1 back in 1990 rather than the more powerful DOHC LT5, in a blind test people liked the instant torque of the pushrod motor better. I was never impressed with the 5.0 feel when I owned one for a short time, but I was coming straight off of a KB Terminator that made over 500 lb-ft at 2500rpm.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus

-T
Hooooo Boyyyyy, are you TRYING to ruffle feathers? How dare you say the GT isn't the king of cars.

8borerifle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Mustang
I tried to explain before that each driver has a different idea of what he wants. I indicated I have owned a variety of different cars including a 2012 GT auto premium and now a 2015 Ecoboost premium PP with the FP tune. I love the way it drives and handles and is much more fun to drive every day than the 2012 GT. Yes, the GT is faster, but the 2015 isn't that far behind with the FP tune. I could have bought a 2015 GT as there was one at the same dealer, but I chose the Ecoboost. The OP only asked a question as to how a Scatpack feels and all kind of weird postings started about "part throttle" racing, what ever that is! There are a ton of new cars faster than the GT including the Scatpack and new Camaro SS and many BMW and Mercedes. Who cares? I can't own them all so bought what I feel suits me best!

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Hooooo Boyyyyy, are you TRYING to ruffle feathers? How dare you say the GT isn't the king of cars.
How could it possible be king? It's fast. But doesn't ("FEEL" fast). It'll lost a race to an EB at part throttle. It handles better when comparing magazine test data. Yet every EB owner on the planet claims their car handles SOOO much better. I guess I should have bought an EB.:shrug: And experienced. All these warm, fuzzy "FEELINGS" Reality is so over rated.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Post cute pics on the interwebs. Or bring your car down to Atco raceway and show me all this 4 banger performance. Interested??? Then you can have your own little youtube videos to post of your car taking down the big bad V8s.

Last edited:

jcart953

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Premium
Post cute pics on the interwebs. Or bring your car down to Atco raceway and show me all this 4 banger performance. Interested??? Then you can have your own little youtube videos to post of your car taking down the big bad V8s.
Oh snaps I didn't know Paul was back. But ugh:
image.jpg

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
Oh snaps I didn't know Paul was back. But ugh:
Trust me, you wont lose anything by putting him on ignore other than constant idiotic ego posts and disagreements. Bitches about EB being a 12-13 second car with a tune, when over half of the bolt-on V8 times are...can you guess it? 12 to 13 second cars! Damn that overrated reality.

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
Trust me, you wont lose anything by putting him on ignore other than constant idiotic ego posts and disagreements. Bitches about EB being a 12-13 second car with a tune, when over half of the bolt-on V8 times are...can you guess it? 12 to 13 second cars! Damn that overrated reality.
Not sure what you mean but bolt on 5.0's are in the 11's especially on E85 or auto's with a stall converter.

I like the EB for what it is, a gas saver that has the good looks. From what I seen around SoCal, EB's on a 91 tune (no 93 here), IC, CAI won't beat a stock 5.0. The tune has to be at least on E30 to keep up.

There are of course hero runs with an auto, E30 tune with full bolt ons running low 12's or even high 11's.. But those are hero runs, not the average.

I drove both, a stock and tuned EB.. on 91 from 3-4.5k it has a really good punch. A stock 5.0 with PP (3.73 gears) have a similar punch as well. The difference is the 5.0 will pull hard to redline.
Sponsored