Sponsored

Track Prep & Recommendations Thread

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I should know this, but . . . what's the brake line construction? High quality SS lines, or a more typical OE rubber line?
Sponsored

jooyoung99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT350
it looks like rubber to me. Need to change that as well.

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
The reason I ask is because, maybe, just maybe, in addition to fluid concerns (though OE Ford fluid is tougher than folks might expect) the front lines could be swelling a bit under increased heat and pressure, which would contribute to the "soft" feeling and "longer" pedal strokes some of you are experiencing.

This is supposition in the absence of any data . . .

kirbydjohnson

Denver350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT350
Speaking of Track Days: My local track requires tow hooks. Has anyone seen any options/got any ideas?

Thanks!

Sponsored

jooyoung99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT350
The reason I ask is because, maybe, just maybe, in addition to fluid concerns (though OE Ford fluid is tougher than folks might expect) the front lines could be swelling a bit under increased heat and pressure, which would contribute to the "soft" feeling and "longer" pedal strokes some of you are experiencing.

This is supposition in the absence of any data . . .
Steel braided lines are no brainer if you track your car. But some older versions (Around $50) do need to be changed every few years. Small particles can actually can get into them. But there are newer multi-layer Teflon lines braided by kevlar with outer stainless steel braids (around $200). I forget the brand, but definitely the one to get.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Exactly. That's the key Achilles heel in the GT350 specifically on the track. One of my take aways from tracking it so far, while still very fun, is that I am focusing much more on weight balance & distribution in key sectors since the car's weight/heft sensitively affects its braking and turning at speed. Improper or ill-timed weight distribution adversely affects it at a greater result. I wish the GT350 was 300-400lbs lighter but that's moot at this point. In any case, I still really enjoy driving it knowing I have to go thru brake pads more often. I already have a new front OEM pad set to replace my fromt pads soon.
the pads on my 12 GT with TP and 15 GT with PP,, the OE pads are made by Brembo. Is that the case with the GT350 OE pad?

Part# please?

Thanks,

Essex Wire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 Tech Pkg
Sorry, not sure. Didn't realize I was in a GT350 thread. Just been searching threads related to track prep as I get ready for my first track day and remembered seeing this tow hook.

I recall reading that this tow hook mod is NOT recommened for the 350.

Sponsored

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Steel braided lines are no brainer if you track your car. But some older versions (Around $50) do need to be changed every few years. Small particles can actually can get into them. But there are newer multi-layer Teflon lines braided by kevlar with outer stainless steel braids (around $200). I forget the brand, but definitely the one to get.
I haven't looked into custom lines in a while, but they're easily available. Goodridge is a respected manufacturer and is used by a lot of performance suppliers for Wilwood, AP, etc. I won't be surprised if a vendor puts a set together in short order. And, yes, a covered braided line is the way to go to both protect the steel braiding (corrosion) and to prevent abrasion from the braided line. In fact, the typical aftermarket braided line these days is coated.

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I've put mine through 2 track days so far (Chuckwalla and Button Willow). The car definitely needs better track pads and brake fluids.

What kind of track pads are you guys using? Is the pads size compatible with any other cars? I couldn't find any track pads for sale on-line. I usually run Endless ME20s and Ferrado DS3000 on my other cars. Thanks for your help.
I knew the car needed better pads even before running them at Utah Motorsports Park last week. I have some G-LOC pads coming this week for an event at BIR in three weeks. They're equivalent to the Carbotech XP24 fronts and XP12 rears.

What do you mean it needs better fluid? Did you boil it? I'm planning to bleed with ATE as I go, but not necessarily planning to flush although I could. I bleed them before every event and I've never boiled ATE despite people that say they don't like it. I've almost always run Hawk DTC70 pads too so they get hotter than hell. The were using SRF in the Track Attack cars.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Sounds like boiled fluid, but even then I'm skeptical. Ford said the pads don't fade with pro drivers.

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Speaking of Track Days: My local track requires tow hooks. Has anyone seen any options/got any ideas?

Thanks!
No and this is a big problem, especially as often as I tend to break things. At this point we are totally out of luck. I think my fail-safe is going to be the strut tower brace. At least they moved it onto its own bolts and aren't tied into the strut mount so you won't screw up your camber. They're also using much larger bolts than on the S197s so it should be strong enough for a track side breakdown. Pulling you out of the gravel pit might be a different story. I really hope someone develops a solution soon. We're exploring the European bumper with screw in tow hook.

I haven't seen braided lines available as of yet. A friend of mine went through a set of front pads per day at VIR and was getting some pad fade, but didn't boil the fluid. Stock pads and fluid. I was getting pad fade toward the end of sessions at Track Attack and they weren't long sessions.

I think the stock pads and fluid will be more than enough for novice to intermediate drivers though. Just look at how frickin' big the equipment is compared to what we had on the S197s. That alone should help dissipate a lot of heat and energy.

The other question is how good is the factory ducting? We don't have the benefit of hoses which we know work great.