Sponsored

Track Prep & Recommendations Thread

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
G-locks have been mentioned, and they do work to an extent to keep you firmly in your seat. I am not a personal fan and have broken them in the past!

One option that folks might consider if they're concerned with head/neck restraint without a full harness is a hybrid unit like the Simpson Hybrid units. They work well with 3-point restraints, are competitively priced, and a few models are even sanctioned for competition use. As an instructor, this is a popular option because you will rarely have harnesses available in a beginner's car. As a driver they are attractive because of the protection without the requirement to install a harness system if you're not ready or willing to do that.
Sponsored

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
...As an instructor, this is a popular option because you will rarely have harnesses available in a beginner's car....
Yeah... I was staring at the windshield pillar of my student's Miata last weekend thinking it wouldn't be too good if we went off...

I have a new HANS so I'm probably going to end up installing a Watson 4 pt bar.

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Yeah... I was staring at the windshield pillar of my student's Miata last weekend thinking it wouldn't be too good if we went off...

I have a new HANS so I'm probably going to end up installing a Watson 4 pt bar.
I was having similar thoughts right-seating a student with a new M4 . . . Truly amazing what a world-class car can do to mask driving skill levels.

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
You don't yank the e-brake in a panic locking the rear tires. :lol:
And that assumes a lot of presence of mind by the driver and assumes a lot about how the car will react. No thank you on both counts.

jooyoung99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT350
I've put mine through 2 track days so far (Chuckwalla and Button Willow). The car definitely needs better track pads and brake fluids.

What kind of track pads are you guys using? Is the pads size compatible with any other cars? I couldn't find any track pads for sale on-line. I usually run Endless ME20s and Ferrado DS3000 on my other cars. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Ordering ...
AMpowerJ,

this will be my first event with the 350. I will be driving with the stock alignment. The supplemental has a recommended alignment setting that I know most have not been able to achieve without plates. There is also a recommendation for tire pressure. Is the tire pressure a recommendation with the alignment or individually? What did you run?
I haven't made it to the track yet but I would follow the tire pressure advice from Ford. Not having camber matching yet will not matter.

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Ordering ...
I've put mine through 2 track days so far (Chuckwalla and Button Willow). The car definitely needs better track pads and brake fluids.

What kind of track pads are you guys using? Is the pads size compatible with any other cars? I couldn't find any track pads for sale on-line. I usually run Endless ME20s and Ferrado DS3000 on my other cars. Thanks for your help.
Pagid is getting ready to release RS29s

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP

I just finished a whole day at Barber. Only adjustment made was the 28psi tire pressure recommended by FP. No brake fade what so ever! Sure better pads will stop better but this car has what it takes as is. Maybe carry more speed in the corners by braking less?

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
IMO, for a Novice. Find a reputable group to run with, that requires classroom time between track sessions. Bring a folding chair, small cooler filled with water, gatorade etc. snacks (carbs) bananas are good in between sessions. Typically you need long pants and long sleeve shirt (depends) - This is just for you.

Buy a quality torque wrench, 6" extension and a deep socket. Torque your wheels a few days before the event. The spec is in the OM. Get a decent dial tire gauge, maybe jack the pressures up a little on your way so you can bleed them down as the tires/track warms. Your coach can help suggest pressures to try. I found the fronts like to be 3-4 psi higher in the GT. Fill up before you get to the track, you will likely be buying fuel at the track (my car runs out by the 3rd session) Bring a qt of extra oil, rags etc in a small tool box. All your gear will fit in the trunk. When you get to the track, pick a spot for the day and unload, including the tire inflator, make sure the interior is clean (throw everything in the center console) - This helps greatly during tech in.

In my experience people at the track usually don't mess with other peoples stuff because they don't know who is watching.

After every session let the car idle down, check all your gauges, shut off your car in gear, don't set the parking brake! Open the hood. Drink a bottle of water. I usually leave my tire pressure screen up on my center stack during the sessions so I can track pressure vs. temp. Glance at it once in a while, make a note during the cool down lap what they are.

Before the next session is going to be called, torque your wheels again, check your oil, pressures and bleed them down to where you want them. Look at your tires, run your hands around them (I usually pit the car with the wheels at lock so you can see things better)

Safety: Buy a SA2010 helmet (Bell's are $400 online) - Safety discussion over. This is your first track day, you will have a coach, you will be learning lines, listening to your coach, probably one of the faster cars in the group. You are driving a street car to a race track on the public roads where you have a 1000% better chance of injury than you do in a controlled environment with cars all going the same direction.

If your car is older than 6 months, bring it to Ford and have them flush the brake fluid with the OE fluid. These cars have awesome brakes, leave it alone. YOU ARE NOT RACING. Depending on your group, coach etc. you will want the nannies on but in sport or track mode. As Elivan Goulart said to me after an off track excursion "It's a pretty car, lets keep it that way" VIDEO

Track insurance is a good idea.

Bring a Go-Pro and mount it to your helmet or dash so you can show off to your friends!

The idea is to have fun, become a better driver and enjoy tyour car. No one wins a track day, but you can always lose - My Coach

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
All good advise. One clarification, Do Not retourque wheels when hot

Sponsored

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
I just finished a whole day at Barber. ...
I need to get out there again. How did you like it?

edit - Coming up out of the bowl (turn 3?) in the damp is always a thrill as you crest the hill and hit that kink.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7

Where are you finding the limits of braking? Brakes have never let me down, but I've only had (well documented) up to 15 minutes in one session.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Are there any track pads available now?
Yes. I would send you a link to another forum but mustang6g doesn't allow it, check out track mustangs online in the brakes sub forum

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I am a novice to this, but I have found the posts by [MENTION=6571]Bossing[/MENTION], [MENTION=7132]Trackaholic[/MENTION], [MENTION=9080]Matt[/MENTION]lx and [MENTION=18795]Rogue[/MENTION] very helpful in what to expect with tracking these awesome cars.

I would like to have a central threat that hopefully Admin will sticky so that we can ALL learn from anyone hat has experience tracking so that ALL of us can benefit and have safe, fun and enjoyable experiences.

That being said, please post experience with track prep and recommendations for what to do to these cars for autocross or HPDE events, or just plain fun tracking.

Thanks.
I attend 2-3 events a year. I will say this for those that have not tracked their car yet. Do nothing to it! Just adjusted the tire pressure in accordance with the FP recommendations. You will be amazed! This car needs nothing!!!!! I am no professional driver but have had my fair share of track events to include the Green Hell. I ran in both the Intermediate groups, many cars with slicks and track only vehicles. I can tell you that I passed cars with slicks and cars that are supposedly much more capable. As I mentioned I am no professional and I know that skill plays a huge factor but! I can promise you the car is what made me stand out, not my skill. Or rather, the Car allowed me to drive faster, brake later, etc. The only modification I have done is the oil catch cans from FP and will eventually get in on the track key. But please take my advice, drive the car as is and you will see what I mean. 1st HPDE with Rezoom @ Barber MSP 02APR16. Low temp 59F and high of 70F. Ran all day, a total of five 30 minute sessions. No temp issues, no brake fade only cold tires between sessions. Give yourself a couple laps to put heat in the tires and they will grip better than expected. I hit 1.28G's to the left and 1.17G's to the right and well over 1g (can't quite remember but will post a pic soon) braking. Never once did I lose the car except for very little tire squeal throughout the day and I mean little. The tires held up well and have a little over 2k miles on them with 5/32 thread left on all four. : )
Sponsored