Track Prep & Recommendations Thread

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I need to get out there again. How did you like it?

edit - Coming up out of the bowl (turn 3?) in the damp is always a thrill as you crest the hill and hit that kink.
It was fantastic! The track is known as a technical track but not difficult. The car performed stellar. Brakes, engine transmission, diff all within normal operating range. The capabilities of this car to me seem endless. After every session I gained more confidence and never did I reach its limits. I will attend Barber every year from know on, hopefully twice a year. I started in sport mode and finished the day in Track mode. the car is very balanced and only had some under steer, operator error.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jooyoung99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT350
Are you guys replacing your brake lines to steel braided lines? If so, can anyone share where I can purchase one?

My first track day was at Chuckwalla Valley Race way 90 degree temperature / 100 degree track temperature. Brakes were pretty good. But towards end of the day, I've notice substantial fade.

Second track day was at Button Willow 75 degree temperature. First 3 laps were pretty good, but the brake fading was much worse than the first track day. On the 2nd session, brakes went down all the way to the floor and I used my toes to bring it back up. I probably boiled the brake fluids. I took a look at the pads, and it's already looking pretty thin. Also, I've notice that that lines were rubber.

Anyway, my car is at a dealer getting some funny noise looked at, I'm trying to get some pads and brake lines to replace while the car is in the shop. Also, I'm replacing the fluids to motul 660 RFP.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I've put mine through 2 track days so far (Chuckwalla and Button Willow). The car definitely needs better track pads and brake fluids.

What kind of track pads are you guys using? Is the pads size compatible with any other cars? I couldn't find any track pads for sale on-line. I usually run Endless ME20s and Ferrado DS3000 on my other cars. Thanks for your help.
That's surprising since neither of those are hard braking tracks. What lap times do you run?

jooyoung99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT350
That's surprising since neither of those are hard braking tracks. What lap times do you run?
Have you been to these tracks? Only other track in Socal that's more brake intensive is SOW. Even lighter cars like GT4s have brake fades at the same event.

Anyway, why is this is even a relevant question? I'm glad you guys have no brake fade. That's fantastic and I'm happy for you. I just want to see if there are better track endurance pads available.

Why is it surprising to see a 3800 lb car having brake fades at a 100 degree track temp?

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
There are, go to the site I mentioned above. I would start with fresh fluid first since you mentioned the pedal going to the floor, the stock motorcraft stuff is decent but not the best available.

Sponsored

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
There are, go to the site I mentioned above. I would start with fresh fluid first since you mentioned the pedal going to the floor, the stock motorcraft stuff is decent but not the best available.
Didn't I just read that they switched to Castrol brake fluid in the Track Attack cars?

jooyoung99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT350
I'm putting Motul 660 RPF. I found this fluid to be the best one on old GTR. But I think on hot days with Cup 2s, no matter what fluid you use, you'll need to bleed the brakes after every track day. Also, you'll need good endurance pads. The pad wear is pretty high on this car.

jooyoung99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT350
Thanks. I did take a look at the forum you mentioned. Looks like Pagid and Carbotech are still developing the track pads. There aren't any track pads ready to purchase now. Maybe I missed a thread, but I looked pretty carefully.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I think the pagids are ready from what I read. Fronts are the same as an Enzo and the rear the same as a C7 Z51. But yeah, some guys have gone through the stock pads in 2 days.

jooyoung99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT350
There are guys who test the first batch, but the pads won't be available for 2 to 3 weeks.

"As far as availability - YES !! Pagid is asking that I take orders now, with the first sets of pads being available in 2-3 weeks. The MSRP pricing for the pads is as follows:

GT350 Front RS-29 $675.00
GT350 Rear RS-29 $315.00"

Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Have you been to these tracks? Only other track in Socal that's more brake intensive is SOW. Even lighter cars like GT4s have brake fades at the same event.

Anyway, why is this is even a relevant question? I'm glad you guys have no brake fade. That's fantastic and I'm happy for you. I just want to see if there are better track endurance pads available.

Why is it surprising to see a 3800 lb car having brake fades at a 100 degree track temp?
Many times, and SOW is a low speed parking lot and not very hard on brakes compared to ACS or if you go north to Laguna Seca or Thunderhill let alone Sebring, Road America or COTA. It's surprising because the car was tested and developed at tracks like Sebring and VIR and had no brake fade issues with pro drivers.

Having been there it would be interesting to see what kind of times the 350 is able to turn... So what did you do?

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Yes, you can order them =)

jooyoung99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT350
3 weeks seems like an eternity. I only have 5 more track days left until it's gets too hot.

jooyoung99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT350
Many times, and SOW is a low speed parking lot and not very hard on brakes compared to ACS or if you go north to Laguna Seca or Thunderhill let alone Sebring, Road America or COTA. It's surprising because the car was tested and developed at tracks like Sebring and VIR and had no brake fade issues with pro drivers.

Having been there it would be interesting to see what kind of times the 350 is able to turn... So what did you do?
I have to go back and see my telemetry data, but ACS does not need more braking than CWVR and BW. Also, Laguna seca is generally lot more cooler than CWVR and most of the hard braking is done uphill (except obviously turn 3).

Not very good lap times. Not to make any excuses, but it was very hot at Chuckwalla and my brakes were already fading at Button Willow.

Best time at CWVR CW is 2:03.85. BW 13CW is 2:04.71. I also ran 2 minutes flat on a GT4 at BW the same day.