Sponsored

Time to replace timing belt?

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I want to make sure I don't have catastrophic engine failure from a failure of a timing belt... any idea on how often it should be checked to make sure it doesn't need to be replaced? Every oil change? More often? What about preventative care changes before it actually starts to show wear? At 10,000 miles, maybe?
Sponsored

robb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Typically it's 60K miles on most cars. I know some of the older cars a broken timing belt could bend valves, but hope that's not the case in these never engines.

Steve44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP
I am not 100% sure, but I thought almost all cars now come with maintenance free timing chains?

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
All engines in the S550 utilize timing chains...

Belts are different for every engine. My Volvo is done at 120k, Ranger is every 100k. Knowing if you have an interference or non-interference engine can help with some piece of mind if a belt does break. The Ranger has a non-interference engine, meaning the valves and pistons will not collide if the belt does break. Although it is a lot easier to time the engine if you take off a belt that hasn't been broken yet...

Sponsored

Dannyho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP DIB
if you go onto the owner.ford.com site you can look up the recommended maintenance plan for your vehicle. I was amazed it was so minimal for the ecoboost. essentially oil and filters and inspection for the first 100k. then it was time to change out some of the fluids. Very minimal compared to what I'm used to. perhaps the inspections will turn up more than I bargained for though, but I feel it's a long time off.

Qwkynuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT
if you go onto the owner.ford.com site you can look up the recommended maintenance plan for your vehicle. I was amazed it was so minimal for the ecoboost. essentially oil and filters and inspection for the first 100k. then it was time to change out some of the fluids. Very minimal compared to what I'm used to. perhaps the inspections will turn up more than I bargained for though, but I feel it's a long time off.
What cracks me up is when I am sitting in the dealer's service department and hear the guy at the desk telling a customer: "If your owner's manual indicates a service interval, like 30,000 miles, then you should have us change it then. If it says 'Service not Required', we recommend changing it every 60,000 miles."

This was in response to how often the customer should have his transmission fluid replaced.

I guess I need to find my dictionary and look up "not required". Apparently it doesn't mean what I think it means.

Highwayman

Been there.. Done that..
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kraig
Vehicle(s)
15 OW Base GT/PP/Recarros,Built STI,Built Jeep JK
I wouldn't laugh too hard. Sounds like an upfront dealer to me, I'd keep em on the list.

That's because that dealer cares more about the longevity of the guy's car vs Ford's concern over cost of ownership figures on window stickers. Service stuff that doesn't affect short term owning, but definately long term ownership when the manufacturers not paying the bills for repairs. Ford isn't paying the bill at the end of the term when the trans burns up, because of no maintenance ever done. Kinda like those touted low cost 100k + tuneups when the plugs snap off in the head, when the owner finally does have them replaced. The manufacturer isn't covering labor costs on headaches like that. You can believe those owners wish they'd of known of servicing sooner.

If you lease or get rid of cars every 3 or 4 yrs, don't ever service em other than LOF's. If you're a long term keeper like myself, don't believe any major power / drivetrain component requires zero maintenance. Unless you'd rather replace down the road vs maintaining.

Nothing wrong at all recommending a trans service at 60k. Personally an auto, Id recommend servicing every 30k (15k for serious duty). Manuals and diffs 50k. Not a crook, just a good guy that previously had wrenched for a long time for a living with a long list of regulars and always offered opinions to customers as if their car was mine. Don't get me wrong, I have zero issues calling bs on un-needed service recommendations, that guys isn't.

Last edited:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Well put Highwayman.:thumbsup:

There are very few components with fluid that don't require any maintenance whatsoever. Things like transmissions(especially automatics) have had a 'fill-for-life' stamped on them but in reality spending a few hundred on flushes over a few years will save you from thousands of dollars in inevitable repairs.

Sponsored

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
You can replace the chain when you swap out the cams. ;)

Dirtleg

BoostCreep
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
15' EB Prem PP, 07' GT (track Car), 01' RC51, 16" S1000XR
I want to make sure I don't have catastrophic engine failure from a failure of a timing belt... any idea on how often it should be checked to make sure it doesn't need to be replaced? Every oil change? More often? What about preventative care changes before it actually starts to show wear? At 10,000 miles, maybe?

By timing belt are you referring to the band on your watch?
I'd recommend changing it when it looks worn or scuzzy. More often if you sweat profusely.

NavyChief

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
GT Mustang TY
No ford have timing belts. They all have timing chains. They are not jap cars
Sponsored