Sponsored

Thumb Drive formatting

Audioninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Eco pp
Hey all, So i have a nice 128GB thumb drive and I want to put all my music on it and keep it in the car so It can have a jukebox vibe. I have dragged all the folders with my music tracks over but the car won't read the thumb drive correctly.

what formatting should I do on the drive?
FAT32?
Also , should the .mp3's be taken out of their individual folders, or will the system in the car be able to shuffle within the folders?

thanks in advance.
Sponsored

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
I believe it has to be FAT32.

And it should have no problems with folders.

wireless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White Ecoboost Premium
Mine is FAT32. Works perfect.

I have mine organized into folders by CD, genre, etc. You can browse folders, artists, albums, genre, etc. Pretty nice.

LHousePhoto

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lhousephotography.com
First Name
Lane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT Premium - Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Some systems can't read drives over certain sizes. Could be the problem here, try formatting the drive progressively smaller, make a 64 GB partition and try it, then 32 GB.

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
You figured this out?

Sponsored

Xantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Accord Touring
Format your drive in FAT32. I just have one folder that contains all my music and playlist files.

CrummyArchitect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP, 401A, "MGNETO"
I bought a 64Gb SanDisk (one of the real tiny ones) and opened it up, plugged it in my computer, and copied my entire iTunes library over to it - so there's a root music folder, with artist subfolders, and then their album sub folders in it - I didn't format it or anything and my car recognizes it and can play all of the files. Plugged it into the USB port in the console and just leave it in the car all the time. Love it because I have ALL my music in the car now. Not sure if this helps with what you're asking, but that's just what worked for me.

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
Yea, I got a 32gig 5mm "large" USB stick in my current radio, guess I can just bring it over then :D

SC_Ruby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Ruby Red
Sync 3 Format?

Anyone with the Sync 3 format a thumb drive yet for their music? Just bought one of the SanDisk 64GB thumbdrives and will be transferring my music from iTunes. Thanks :cheers:

Adam99SVT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR Mustang GT PP, 1971 Datsun 240z SBF 80mm
Is anyone having a problem with it saying indexing? Mine did this for over 6 min. before I got pissed and came back inside.

Sponsored

Adam99SVT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
I bought a scan disk 64gb and formatted it to fat32...... I dragged all my music over from my Itunes library which took about 3 hours 8600 songs. This is the second time for me trying this but it wont ever come out of the indexing screen.

Xantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought a scan disk 64gb and formatted it to fat32...... I dragged all my music over from my Itunes library which took about 3 hours 8600 songs. This is the second time for me trying this but it wont ever come out of the indexing screen.
It will do that every time you reinsert the drive. Indexing takes time and with 8600 songs I can't imagine how long that would take. I have a 32GB drive and don't have anywhere near 8600 songs. I only put songs from playlists on my drive. Sometimes if I add new music or add a playlist I will turn the radio on and plug the drive in and let it index while I do something else.

Even if you get 8600 songs to index they will be a nightmare to sort through. I suggest you create some playlists in iTunes and only put those songs and playlists on the drive. You will need to edit the playlists so your head unit will recognize them as well. I use Notepad++ and use a "regular expression" find and replace to modify the playlist files.

Adam99SVT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=11501]Xantom[/MENTION]

I think I might have to do what you were saying and back off on the available songs. I let it try to index all the way to work this morning (23 min) and it still never quit indexing.

Does anyone know what all formats of music the head unit will play? Aka mp4... mp3...etc.

Xantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=11501]

Does anyone know what all formats of music the head unit will play? Aka mp4... mp3...etc.
My entire library is MP3. I would assume it will play a variety of formats. You can find out pretty easily by putting one of each format in question onto your drive and see what will or won't play.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
[MENTION=11501]Xantom[/MENTION]

I think I might have to do what you were saying and back off on the available songs. I let it try to index all the way to work this morning (23 min) and it still never quit indexing.

Both of those (in fact, it will play the audio from an MP4 encoded video file, nothing like driving around _listening_ to the Spongebob Movie :D).

Also of note, it will play FLAC files!
Sponsored