Sponsored

This is the brand new 2021 Mustang Mach-1

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I added it b/c someone here said it will be subject to the tax. From a quick search of the GT350, the Gas Guzzler tax is a federal, IRS-collected tax. Destination and guzzler tax is about $8,000 for the GT350. Destination might be similar but the tax on this car will be bit lower because it costs less. Fuel economy comparing the GT350 and Bullit are not that different Bullit: 15 / 24, GT350: 14 / 21)
Right, but Ford lists the Bullitt as 15/25, which is exactly the same as the GT's mileage. But it seems to be printed differently on some window stickers (and not all Bullitt stickers even have the same values). Like I said, there's some weirdness going on there, so who knows. As for the GT350, I think the difference between 15/24 (or 15/25) and 14/21 is enough to make the difference. I'm sure even if there is a guzzler tax, it will be a good bit less than on the GT350. I don't think the guzzler tax is based on the car value, either. I think it's just based on the fuel consumption, but I could be wrong.

I know it's a federal tax, but I was saying I'm not sure if some states might have their own tax on top of that, and maybe that's where you're getting the $1-2K from. The Bullitt has never had a guzzler tax above $1K from my understanding, so I don't think the Mach 1 would, either.
Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Right, but Ford lists the Bullitt as 15/25, which is exactly the same as the GT's mileage. But it seems to be printed differently on some window stickers (and not all Bullitt stickers even have the same values). Like I said, there's some weirdness going on there, so who knows. As for the GT350, I think the difference between 15/24 (or 15/25) and 14/21 is enough to make the difference. I'm sure even if there is a guzzler tax, it will be a good bit less than on the GT350. I don't think the guzzler tax is based on the car value, either. I think it's just based on the fuel consumption, but I could be wrong.

I know it's a federal tax, but I was saying I'm not sure if some states might have their own tax on top of that, and maybe that's where you're getting the $1-2K from. The Bullitt has never had a guzzler tax above $1K from my understanding, so I don't think the Mach 1 would, either.
Based on the fed
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/41995.shtml

The fuel economy on the 2020 Bullit went down to C/H/Combined - 14 / 23 /17

not that different from 2020 GT 350 of 14 / 21 / 16

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/41994.shtml

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The Mach1 will absolutely have the guzzler tax. No 2019 Bullitts have it. MY20 Bullitts manufactured in 2019 don't have it. I don't know if the magic date was 12/31/2019 or not but if you get a lucky/early MY20 it appears you can duck it. The guzzler on Dodge 6.4 is like $1600. The Camaro 6.2 ducks it entirely because of the '1-4 skip-shift feature'. Since the Mach1 uses the same Tremec family product I suppose it's possible Ford pulled the same rabbit out of the hat and all us Ford drivers will be treated to that lovely feature.

I guess Ford could have done the same all these years with the GT350 but chose not to. It doesn't take much at all to trigger the 'disable slip-shift lockout mode' - I only run into it very occassionaly if using tiny amounts of throttle in which case I just select third. Or there is a $20 defeat device you can buy from Amazon that lies to the ECU about the state of the solenoid.

Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kinda sucks since the guzzler tax is one of the handful of reasons I chose not to get a GT350, but whatever, let's see what happens here. As long as the final price isn't much more than the well-equipped GT I would otherwise be eyeing, then I'm still game.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Is anyone else obsessed with the Handling Pack wheels? Those are sharp AF and would look great on my Orange Fury...:inspect:
I really like them too, I’d like to see them on a loud coloured GT along with the front arch trims.

I think the back panel without the lines is another nice touch - I can’t see people swapping that one out for a plain version though ... lol

WD :like:

Mhawke7894

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic
One thing I'm not understanding is why some people think that (assuming a roughly $50k starting price) it is a bad deal. I've been playing with the regular online mustang builder, and a GT Premium with a performance pack and the technology pack comes out at about $50-53k msrp. Considering the bump in horsepower and extra equipment, it seems like the Mach 1 is being put in a fair, or at least consistent, price bracket.

Not trying to attack anyone's opinion. I'm genuinely confused.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One thing I'm not understanding is why some people think that (assuming a roughly $50k starting price) it is a bad deal. I've been playing with the regular online mustang builder, and a GT Premium with a performance pack and the technology pack comes out at about $50-53k msrp. Considering the bump in horsepower and extra equipment, it seems like the Mach 1 is being put in a fair, or at least consistent, price bracket.

Technology pack? Do you mean 401A?

But you're right, once you add in packages to make a GT comparable, it gets into $50K territory quickly... The thing is there are a few things the Mach 1 doesn't seem to come with standard that you get in a PP2 equipped GT premium, such as leather seats and the PS2s and nicer wheels (not that I really need PS2s on a car that will see limited track time). In any case, I agree LOW 50 range would be within reason, depending on option pricing and whatnot. But if it got any higher than that, it's going to start looking pretty silly IMO. Too many unknowns to speculate right now, though. I'm cautiously optimistic at the moment.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I think the back panel without the lines is another nice touch - I can’t see people swapping that one out for a plain version though ... lol
I hadn't noticed that, good catch. Yeah, I guess maybe the Mach I they wanted to use didn't fit between the insets of the MY18+ version[?]

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Yeah, I've seen that, but again, there's still window stickers on Bullitt's out there on dealer lots for 2020 showing higher gas mileage and no guzzler tax, and Ford hasn't updated their site. I dunno, it's all really weird.
It depends on when the car was made. Early 2020 Bullitt's did not have the GG tax, later ones did. I do not know the exact date of the change.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Because there are people that need to have something to bitch about. Same thing happened when the Bullitt came out. Some folks were screaming it was nothing more than a green GT for $xxx more. Turns out the Bullitt had a comparable MSRP to a equally equipped GT. Now of course the Bullitt wasn't discounted originally and the ADM's hurt but Ford's pricing was almost identical. For the Mach 1 there is a lot more standard content (Tremec, coolers, etc.) so we will have to wait until Ford releases their pricing.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I'd bet money if
Can’t we all just be happy that Ford is still making cars like this? With everything going on in the world right now, and the future of automobiles all but certain, in this moment we still have a naturally aspirated 5.0 liter V8 that sounds amazing. I’ll take it! :rockon:
I have read articles that compare this passing decade to the 60s, in regards to the muscle car boom. It was fairly stagnant since the 90s then 2010 hit and bam.

Mustang Maverick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible; 2006 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
If I recall correctly the Mach 1 was never made in a convertible. Based on that a new Mach 1 vert would have been extremely unlikely. And now that we know the 21' Mach has the Tremec and coolers the additional weight of a vert would have likely hurt the track performance this car is going to known for. That said it would have looked really cool.:like:
Yeah, like I said, Ford Designers forgot about the enthusiasts aka old guys like me who would spend lots of money on GT500, GT350, and Mach1 Convertibles for the Coolness.

So, I'm doing the next best thing - modding the way I want the car to look.
Basically, mine will look a bit like a Shelby Signature Series or Super Snake with the Hood, Rear Spoiler, and Front Splitter when I'm done - But as a Convertible!
But no Stripes or Winglets - not my thing - but again for those who love stripes and or winglets - do what you like and makes you happy.

supersnake_gallery_13.jpg

SAI23378_Red.jpg
Sponsored