Sponsored

Things to check when buying a GT that was a rental!

UnkTob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible Premium
Hey! So I am trading in my 2014 V6 vert premium and upgrading to a used 2018 GT Convertible Premium. Seems like 80-90% of them out there were rentals. I took the risk with my '14 which was also a rental, and other than some pretty good valance chips and a few scratches, it really has been an awesome car! I have a good deal set up on a <30k miles one that I'm picking up on the 4th of July (happens to also be my birthday. Best Birthday Present Ever! lol) What are some things with the engine to look out for before I sign on the dotted line? Obviously I'll be checking the front for curb strikes, and the wheels for curb rash, and other general things I call "rental rash". Also planning on the usual suspects- groves in the rotors, worn bushings, etc. But and other common things to look for? And how about that engine?
Thanks in advance! If all checks out and goes well, I'll be posting pics of it soon! :)

**Update**
July 18 2019- There's been lots of great input and debates in this thread. (Thanks everyone!) I've created a summary with lessons learned along with what I decided to do in post #58 on page 3.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Is it equipped with the MT82 or the 10R80?

Is it being sold at a Ford Dealer, or elsewhere? If itā€™s a Ford Dealer, you can request the OASIS report which will include all service and warranty history IF it was serviced at any Ford Dealer in the US.

Is it coming with any warranty such as remainder of factory, extended ESP or....?

OP
OP
UnkTob

UnkTob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
Is it equipped with the MT82 or the 10R80?

Is it being sold at a Ford Dealer, or elsewhere? If itā€™s a Ford Dealer, you can request the OASIS report which will include all service and warranty history IF it was serviced at any Ford Dealer in the US.

Is it coming with any warranty such as remainder of factory, extended ESP or....?
Thanks Cobra Jet for the quick reply.

10 speed auto, and still has about 7K left on the main factory warranty, plus of course the 60k powertrain. Extended is $1700 for addt'l 3yr or 36K or 1900 for 5 yr 60k. I paid MUCH less for for the 3 yr 36k. But also a smaller lot, not a Ford dealership... I got my '14 used from a Ford dealership. (almost identical millage.) Car fax looks good, but I'm still going to run my finger along the gaps to feel for a paint line. (My '14 had no accidents listed, but when I did that I found out it was for sure painted, which after traveling 1400 miles to get there after being told it was never in an accident, they were pretty motivated to give me a crazy deal on the warranty. lol)

ArgentumS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, A10, PP1, Recaros, 07 4Runner V8
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, take the VIN to a dealer and have them run OASIS. I had taken one car to the dealer quick-lube where the did a basic look over. See If there are any codes that have been thrown. The car I have now had a bad knock sensor which should have shown up in the rental company's "comprehensive vehicle check" and fixed BEFORE it was sold to me. Part is on back order so I'm just waiting now.

Look at FloodFord for Extended Service Plans.

Sponsored

OP
OP
UnkTob

UnkTob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
Don't do it, I rented a GT not too long ago on the big island and dogged it the whole time. That's what they get every day.
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, i know how I treat rentals, but given the price and how hard it is to find 2018 Convertible GTā€™s (in Ruby, Magnetic, or Lightning) that isnā€™t a rental, I am willing to give it a go. Plus, still covered under the Ford warranty and drivetrain till 60K. I do get where you are coming from!
Yes, take the VIN to a dealer and have them run OASIS. I had taken one car to the dealer quick-lube where the did a basic look over. See If there are any codes that have been thrown. The car I have now had a bad knock sensor which should have shown up in the rental company's "comprehensive vehicle check" and fixed BEFORE it was sold to me. Part is on back order so I'm just waiting now.

Look at FloodFord for Extended Service Plans.
Iā€™m planning on taking my OBD2 Bluetooth reader and checking for codes. Great idea on OASIS! I totally forgot about that!

OP
OP
UnkTob

UnkTob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)

ArgentumS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, A10, PP1, Recaros, 07 4Runner V8
Vehicle Showcase
Yup!
I'm a newb here, but I've seen them recommended quite often. Planning on doing it myself when the time comes. Remember that its not 5 years added on top of the 3/36 B - B, so its only 2 years extra.

Excel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT and 2015 F150
I would never buy a rental of any type...They are always beat to death

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
One thing I never see discussed about rental companies is they self insure below a certain claim level if you opt for their insurance. So any minor or semi major below say $5000 will get fixed in house and never go on the car fax report. This helps them recoupe some of the cost of not having it show up on the car fax (diminished value).

I knew someone that bought a used rental car and had top coat problems on a repair about 2 years down the road. Not on carfax but odviously repaired. A paint thickness gauge will do wonders to tell the paints story. They are cheap on amazon $50-100.

I donā€™t know what the big deal is with beating the hell out of these cars. If Ford is going to warranty them, they will make them idiot proof. I would imagine you could drive this car across the country on the rev limiter in 3 gear and the besides the gas tank lid wear, wouldnā€™t have any ill effects.

If this car is an awesome deal buy the hell out of it. Just remember people kinda look at a rental car like a prostitute. Anyone could have spun her tires but after you make her honest no one needs to know.

Sponsored

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
I looked at a rental GT a few months ago. I recommend not doing it. People usually do not take care of rental cars.

Deleted member 35786

My 17 GT is a prior Avis rental beast. Runs perfect. PM me if you need tips, help on what to look for.

OP
OP
UnkTob

UnkTob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone for the input so far! Very interesting and varied opinions!

If this car is an awesome deal buy the hell out of it. Just remember people kinda look at a rental car like a prostitute. Anyone could have spun her tires but after you make her honest no one needs to know.
HAHA! You win for the best quote so far! When I got my ā€˜14, which was a rental, I did feel a little dirty. Lol But its been a great car and I fricken love it! Now though, Iā€™ve gotten the itch to move up to a GT, and specifically a 2018 GT. Thanks YouTube! Although not just YouTube... I do some of the coffee and cruises with my local club and love the sounds of the 5.0. Always have! But now that Iā€™m more active with the club I get V8 envy. ;)

Yup!
I'm a newb here, but I've seen them recommended quite often. Planning on doing it myself when the time comes. Remember that its not 5 years added on top of the 3/36 B - B, so its only 2 years extra.
Yeah, true!