Sponsored

Things to check when buying a GT that was a rental!

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I rented a 2016 Mustang GT a few years ago. The rear was humming. I am sure most of them have been beat on.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Don't do it, I rented a GT not too long ago on the big island and dogged it the whole time. That's what they get every day.

I drive every rental car like a stole it...I would never buy a rental, ever.

JPSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
They way I see it is this, yep it's a rental most likely got beat on. And also this, yep it's a private party most likely got beat on. You think when I sell my car private party I'm gonna tell them what I did to it, hell no.... moral of the story rental private you never know it's all a gamble, if you want what you know buy new... in the end just buy it if you check it out and she looks good. Oh and I would make sure to bring it to the mechanic of your choice and get it up on a lift to check all the things you can't see in the parking lot, shocks, struts, drive shaft, and leaks...

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I drove a rental 5.0 and noticed a huge gash under the lower side and the plastic trim bent and scraping under, I am thinking some user before had jumped or turned onto a curb. I was a bit nervous if they would blame me for it upon return, since I didn't see it on the checkout inspection.

Sponsored

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
OP, do the same checks you did on your current ride. If you're worried about anything, have the dealer fix it or don't buy the car. For extra security you can get that extended service plan.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
The rental cars use to not have comp!ete sets of airbags on some vehicles. May not be like that now. Also other deleted items.

They order a lot of vehicles so they equip them how they want.
Do they still have door trim on doors to stop parking lot bumps?
I would check wheels for out of round, bends etc..

Deleted member 35786

The rental cars use to not have comp!ete sets of airbags on some vehicles. May not be like that now. Also other deleted items.
What are you talking about... If a car is manufactured with airbags, then that is what they have. You cannot remove or order less than what is equipped from factory. It’s federal law regarding safety standards. Lol seriously...

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
As long as it looks good, runs and functions well. I wouldn’t worry to much. I’d take it home and wash it during the test drive. Thats when I seem to find any misfortunes with my vehicles, door dings etc. Not everyone beats on a rental. Me personally, I’d be more concerned with damaging something I’d have to pay extra for. And I’d imagine, the rental fees for a GT vert will weed out most dipshits that just want to rag the hell of it. Not saying someone hasn’t ran over a curb or something. But as soft as these cars today, any abuse should show up somewhere or if it looks new it probably was replaced from damage.

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
And I’d imagine, the rental fees for a GT vert will weed out most dipshits that just want to rag the hell of it.
I only get sports cars as rentals while on vacation and I beat the hell out of them. They’re actually not as high priced as you would think.

upload_2019-6-30_13-18-38.png

upload_2019-6-30_13-19-17.png

Last vacation.

upload_2019-6-30_13-6-58.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
What are you talking about... If a car is manufactured with airbags, then that is what they have. You cannot remove or order less than what is equipped from factory. It’s federal law regarding safety standards. Lol seriously...
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rental-cars-missing-airbags-hit-used-lots/
Copied link so it may not work, if not search "rental companies save money by not installing airbags"
Really don't like being called a liar by someone too lazy to do a search before they command a statement as fact

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
No, you are not the only one. There are at least two of us, and probably many more. :sunglasses:

Deleted member 35786

Last edited by a moderator:

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I can't imagine that this is still the case. Imagine the lawsuits if someone got hurt because there was no airbag!!
That's when air bags were optional.
Fleet vehicles often do have unusual equipment packages though...sometimes not offered to the general public.

OP have a mechanic go through it if not yourself.
Brakes tires wearable items are likely due if not done yet.
Do not buy the small lots extended warranty unless you have fully researched it. Ford's will serve you better in the long run. But you may find the car in ineligible for anyone s extended warranty because it was a rental. Sure someone may sell you one but until you have a claim you may not know any better. Devil is in the details
Sponsored