Sponsored

The one thing i truly HATE about the new S550 is the Bumpsteer and Twitchy Steering

OP
OP

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
funny none of you guys are driving on roads in the NYC tri state to realize what i actual complaining about. I am going to have a friend lend me his Gopro this weekend and il try to make a video showing this.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Roads are roads. Some are bumpier than others. No one else is having the same types of issues you are, and in the good amount of seat time I've had in S550s, I did not notice what you're talking about. Feedback is good through the steering wheel and you can feel the front end working. Bumps are transmitted but not harshly. I think you should take your car in and have it looked at.

bigspoondude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Scion xB
funny none of you guys are driving on roads in the NYC tri state to realize what i actual complaining about. I am going to have a friend lend me his Gopro this weekend and il try to make a video showing this.
The roads here are generally well maintained and even the gravel driveway I live on isn't all that bad. I would also add that this is one of the best handling cars I have ever driven, if not better than the Hyundai Genesis sedan, which was my previous top-pick.

I agree with Bmac to go get the dealer (or your local shop (I work for a dealer so I just pull it in when we aren't busy)) to inspect for any damage or possible misalignment (if the roads are really that bad its quite possible). Perhaps while it's in the shop if you are at the dealer, go bug a sales rep to let you test drive another one and see if it's your car or a quirk of all S550s.

2Cool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP in CO
One other area to check, what are your tire pressures? If you never checked from the dealership you could be running over 40psi, which is shipping pressure. Make sure you are at 32psi all around as listed on your car door sticker.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Kelly, I know you've measured and graphed the bump steer. Bring the tech!

John
Actually, I have not. I will get there though.

At SEMA and PRI, I spoke with several engineers who know more about these cars than most, and they (multiple) had told me the Bumpsteer in this car is "crazy". I was shocked to be honest.

So, when we got our car on our rack and hooked up toe gauges, it was apparent that the toe change was more drastic than we had imagined, when we loaded and unloaded the suspension.

Generic test, but it's a good way to see what the suspension does. Just like, on my drag race cars when I align them, I always ensure the toe is slightly in with the front of the car raised about 2.5".

These cars are UN-orthodox in several ways. The wheel rates, the camber settings from the factory, etc.

On my car, I was able to improve the traction out back by simply getting rid of some negative camber. I have also found out that running the camber more positive out back, assists with wheel hop problems (ssshhhh!) :cool:

Sponsored

OP
OP

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
Actually, I have not. I will get there though.

At SEMA and PRI, I spoke with several engineers who know more about these cars than most, and they (multiple) had told me the Bumpsteer in this car is "crazy". I was shocked to be honest.

So, when we got our car on our rack and hooked up toe gauges, it was apparent that the toe change was more drastic than we had imagined, when we loaded and unloaded the suspension.

Generic test, but it's a good way to see what the suspension does. Just like, on my drag race cars when I align them, I always ensure the toe is slightly in with the front of the car raised about 2.5".

These cars are UN-orthodox in several ways. The wheel rates, the camber settings from the factory, etc.

On my car, I was able to improve the traction out back by simply getting rid of some negative camber. I have also found out that running the camber more positive out back, assists with wheel hop problems (ssshhhh!) :cool:

thank you for confirming this because i am well aware of how these issues feel and the Mustang has it bad if you ask me. is it correctable i have no idea but im not looking to reinvent the wheel here i just want to fix it within reason.

95cobby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
That sounds like there's a problem in your steering. My car feels nothing remotely like what you've described.
Completely agree! To the OP.. Your first post is full of so much no and nonsense I can't even comprehend how you think the steering on the s550 is so bad let alone get over how you're comparing it to older gens and other manufacturers. Do yourself a favor and take it to the dealer. :crazy:

yellowstangatl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Orange Fury GT
I think lowering the car is causing your bumpsteer issues. You're going to have to fix the geometry of the front suspension. Perhaps the 15s are more susceptible to this than the previous mustang. I'd lowered my 14 and never had a bumpsteer problem and there's a lot of rough roads in Atlanta. Now lowering that car introduced other issues and I'm not in any hurry to lower my 15. Do you have your alignment specs?

VTECSAUCE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB PP GT w/ RECARO's & ITR swapped '94 hatch
I am from PA myself, now stationed in Florida. There is good reason I waited until I moved down here to get a car like this. I would have a conniption hitting potholes in a brand new mustang. I get your frustrations, don't get me wrong, but you're getting on to this forum and coming off slightly abrasive imho. The first thing I would have done is gone to the dealer if the car is as bad as you say. Not get on a forum full of mostly biased mustang owners and rant about how awful the car is. Lol. Kelly did say the car is subject to having some bumpsteer issues which I can't say I am completely surprised at as this is the first year for this new suspension set up. Just my $.02.

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I am from PA myself, now stationed in Florida. There is good reason I waited until I moved down here to get a car like this. I would have a conniption hitting potholes in a brand new mustang. I get your frustrations, don't get me wrong, but you're getting on to this forum and coming off slightly abrasive imho. The first thing I would have done is gone to the dealer if the car is as bad as you say. Not get on a forum full of mostly biased mustang owners and rant about how awful the car is. Lol. Kelly did say the car is subject to having some bumpsteer issues which I can't say I am completely surprised at as this is the first year for this new suspension set up. Just my $.02.
Just so you're aware, he has a pretty extensive collection of Mustangs, some high dollar stuff that has very, very trick suspensions on it.

OP
OP

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
let me add my steering felt this way stock from day 1. i brought the car twice to two different dealers months back and they said its operating as normal. I brought the car to a performance shop yesterday who does most of my work and they said it feels like there is a rubber steering dampener connecting the steering column to the rack which is giving this feel im complaining about. they didn't have time to really tear into it but next week i plan to leave the car for a few days to see what they come up with. they also measured bumpsteer when they did my alignment and said it was off the charts as well as major caster changes as the suspension moves.

racer24crm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
One other area to check, what are your tire pressures? If you never checked from the dealership you could be running over 40psi, which is shipping pressure. Make sure you are at 32psi all around as listed on your car door sticker.
^This. My car was sitting at 39psi in each tire when I picked her up. car felt like it was bouncing off any imperfections in the road and tramlining like crazy. Dropped to cold tire psi specs (32psi) and it fixed the problem instantly.

Daytona Coupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2017 Explorer Sport, Ducati Diavel
^This. My car was sitting at 39psi in each tire when I picked her up. car felt like it was bouncing off any imperfections in the road and tramlining like crazy. Dropped to cold tire psi specs (32psi) and it fixed the problem instantly.
Thanks for bringing that up. My tpms usually shows 39-41. It has since I got it. I just assumed (yeah, I know) that was the spec. I'll change it to 32 and see how it feels.

Has anybody done any testing to determine optimum pressures? I'm hoping to find something more informative than the sticker.

John

tyshenry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT w/ PP
I can tell you that if you run 32 psi in the front for an auto-x, you will get excessive tire roll over. Need to be above 36-37 psi. Sidewalls on these tires aren't stiff enough for all that weight up there.
Sponsored