Sponsored

The one thing i truly HATE about the new S550 is the Bumpsteer and Twitchy Steering

BathS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 50th with PP
The premium version comes with 3 different steering settings, (Sport, normal and comfort) does this help with bump steer?

I have the Premium - PP and this does not help with bump steer ... all the Normal and Comfort mode do is make steering less precise and more vague feeling ... cruising on the highway I tend to leave it in "Normal" mode ... the rest of the time I think Sport feels markedly better.
Sponsored

benni302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red PP GT
I have the Premium - PP and this does not help with bump steer ... all the Normal and Comfort mode do is make steering less precise and more vague feeling ... cruising on the highway I tend to leave it in "Normal" mode ... the rest of the time I think Sport feels markedly better.
Ever since driving in "sport" mode with "sport" steering, nothing else will suffice for me; i set it as soon as i get in the car everytime.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Ever since driving in "sport" mode with "sport" steering, nothing else will suffice for me; i set it as soon as i get in the car everytime.
Same here. Sport mode on the steering is always set. I switch back and forth between sport+ and track mode, depending on weather and outside temps.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I couldnt disagree more. Compared to my E46 M3, E92 335i or other cars I've driven lately (RS5, BRZ ... even a MK7 GTi) I feel as though this cars handling/suspension is a mess ... that being said, I feel as though this is completely fixable with the right suspension components: Shocks/Struts, Springs, Sway Bars, Vertical Links, Adjustable toe links, proper tires and getting the god damned wheel hop situation under control.
The E92 didn't hold a candle compared to the E46. My E92 has tons of roll by comparison to my S550; it's just far more well damped and the steering is in another league.

The S550's steering is far from horrible, especially if you drive in the lighter settings. I'd say the "sport" mode is a useless waste of additional heft. It just adds slop and makes the nose feel like there's an anchor sling underneath. I'm actually really liking comfort mode for hard driving. The resistance is incredibly linear and the front end changes directions the way you'd expect it to.

Some shocks and springs would go a long way with this car.

Mr.Solis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future GT350 Owner
Sounds like you may not understand what bump steer is. Bump steer happens when the alignment of the hub/wheels is dynamically altered when encountering a "bump". Bump steer will not give feed back to the driver via the steering wheel, the path of the vehicle will change due to deflection in the suspension WITH OUT ANY OR VERY LITTLE STEERING WHEEL FEEDBACK.

For instance; if you are traveling down a straight road with the steering wheel straight then you hit a bump and the car darts to the right with little or no steering wheel movement, this is bump steer.

What you are feeling is a direct connection to the road imperfection which is vital to piloting a performance vehicle at " racing" speeds.

Good news is the steering feel can be improved as there is heavy aftermarket for the mustang.

Sponsored

EngineerDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, 401A + Extras, 98 F-250LD
Same here. Sport mode on the steering is always set. I switch back and forth between sport+ and track mode, depending on weather and outside temps.
On the Auto at least (I'll have to double check, but I noticed this over the weekend) D - Setting A, S - Setting B when it comes to steering. If you flick the lever down to Sport it seems to always have the wheel set for sport, even if I had the wheel in comfort or Normal in drive.

Daytona Coupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2017 Explorer Sport, Ducati Diavel
These cars do have bumpsteer issues (front and rear, actually)

They also have some geometry deficiencies. This is one of the primary areas that we are concentrating on, with our handling specific K-Member.
Kelly, I know you've measured and graphed the bump steer. Bring the tech!

John

VTECSAUCE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB PP GT w/ RECARO's & ITR swapped '94 hatch
Hard to diagnose, but I'd guess you're just not used to the electric steering? There are so many variables in a suspension its hard to say, especially in the front end. My car is bone stock and I can't say I notice anything worth complaining about. How many miles are on your tires? Any mods to suspension, tires or wheels? What tire pressure are you running? I can see the factory GT maybe not cutting it performance wise, especially with a completely brand new suspension that may not have gotten the testing it needed, but I wouldn't go as far as saying the Gt350 is going to be garbage as well. I did notice the front end feels rather loose compared to the rear and I think I saw something posted with the spring rates being stiffer out back which would create oversteer especially in a rwd car. In any event, I would be surprised if a good suspension upgrade wouldn't fix the issue. Oh, and I don't think more camber is going to fix anything in a straight line, if anything that'll make it worse as it essentially narrows your contact patch on the road.

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
It does have some bump steer after lowering it a bit. Waiting on some camber plates before I dive into getting the front end geometry correct.

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I'd like to see some proof that the S550 has bump steer. It's a pain to measure it with a bump steer gauge because you have to take the strut out but I don't think Ford would design it with bump steer.

I'm not really sure why lowering would change bump steer because the control arms and tie rod should be parallel all the way to the bump stop. If you change to different ball joints to raise your roll center after lowering then that's a different story.

My S197 didn't have bump steer even after it was lowered. I went to a performance shop to have Steeda ball joints installed and we measured before and after with a Longacre bump steer gauge. The bump steer kit was only needed after the balljoints were installed.

Sponsored
OP
OP

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
guys i am going to make a short video in the next day or so and show everyone what i am exactly talking about. its driving me CRAZY. i have owned and still own some very true sports cars and this steering feedback is just awkward to deal with. the steering wheel has so much free play left and right with no front wheel movement its just ridiculous. in sport mode steering is the worst, normal slightly better but overall it just isnt right for a proper sport car feel. the Camaro and Challenger do not have this issue and true sports car in higher price do not as well

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
guys i am going to make a short video in the next day or so and show everyone what i am exactly talking about. its driving me CRAZY. i have owned and still own some very true sports cars and this steering feedback is just awkward to deal with. the steering wheel has so much free play left and right with no front wheel movement its just ridiculous. in sport mode steering is the worst, normal slightly better but overall it just isnt right for a proper sport car feel. the Camaro and Challenger do not have this issue and true sports car in higher price do not as well
That sounds like there's a problem in your steering. My car feels nothing remotely like what you've described.

VTECSAUCE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB PP GT w/ RECARO's & ITR swapped '94 hatch
That sounds like there's a problem in your steering. My car feels nothing remotely like what you've described.
^x2 probably need to go to the dealer asap that just seems unsafe

tyshenry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT w/ PP
I have driven a lot of "sports cars," including some high end exotics (R8 V10, 458, Ariel Atom) and have no idea how anyone could say that the steering feel is bad in this car. I ALWAYS know what the front end is doing and the car is easy as pie to place. The only bad trait I have noticed is low speed understeer. Other then that, car is fantastic for a stock car. Direction changes are immediate, rear end is planted, car is exceptionally balanced and easy to correct.

First auto-x in the car, bone stock, smoking....

[ame]

bigspoondude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Scion xB
The premium version comes with 3 different steering settings, (Sport, normal and comfort) does this help with bump steer?
Base model has those as well.

I personally don't find anything wrong with the amount the steering wheel moves but I drive on Normal not Sport and haven't got Steeda springs yet.
Sponsored