Sponsored

The Nissan Z

corvettez06usa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
A friend and I had a discussion recently about the future of the Z. In its current form, it started waaaaaay back in 2003 (Christ, it doesn't feel all that long ago) and is in dire need of a "refresh" or "reboot". Not so much the styling or its performance, but in that its market segment is leaving it behind. While I'll be the first to point out the Z is a sports car and not quite there with Mustangs and Camaros, I think this car does get cross shopped a lot with them because of its price and relative performance. Also the Z has a rich heritage in the US much like the other two, I don't think it is an insult to consider them all peers. Anyway I was curious what others thought. I see 3 possible scenarios, all of which I like, but one more than the rest:

With the rise of interest in lightweight RWD platforms thanks to the BRZ/FRS, Nissan has stated considering throwing a car into the mix. While rumors suggest they would add a car to their fleet to fulfill it (possible Silvia revival?) I think it would be possible for the Z to go on hiatus and return completely different to fit into this market segment (and would be true to its roots to boot.)

Get a hand-me-down from big sister, the GTR. Not sure if the package would fit, but I do remember way before the GTR was born they used a G35 as a test mule. I also think the GTR has Z/G coupe underpings does it not?

Take the Titan V8 and rework it for sports car use. I like this idea a lot mainly because Toyota has a wicked V8 in their RC F. Would allow for a Lexus competitor in the form of Infiniti.

While I think a V8 in the current Z would be bad ass, I think it would alienate the tuner type folks who might be the only ones keeping this thing alive. Nissan has had a hard time moving the car that they even chopped off a sizely amount from the MSRP back in 2013 I believe. They also rank pretty high in insurance premiums because they are expensive to fix, so that could support the first scenario. What y'all think?
Sponsored

AZStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium /Performance
I actually wanted one myself but i was looking at the Nismo Tech and they wanted like 45 grand for it, and that price for what I got was a joke compared to other cars in its price range IMO

OP
OP

corvettez06usa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I actually wanted one myself but i was looking at the Nismo Tech and they wanted like 45 grand for it, and that price for what I got was a joke compared to other cars in its price range IMO
Yes. I shopped for a Z a year before the 2015 Mustang came out, and ultimately it was the fact that for 32-35K I could have a Mustang GT. It would be cheaper to insure and it would be cheaper to maintain. Things like a staggered wheel set up shied me away from the Z even though I absolutely love that car. Things I think Nissan needs to look at if they want to get the car moving off lots again.

CliffClavin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Van down by the river
I havent taken a z car serious since the 300zx. Just my .02
Yep - bring back the twin turbo 6! Seems most manufacturers are headed to turbo platforms anyway.

Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I absolutely love the current 370Z. I am a previous Z owner (1990 300ZX non-turbo). I'd love to have one in my massive (in my head) car collection. From a practical standpoint, I can live with the 2+2 size benefits of the Mustang, along with the tire serviceability, as compared to the Z.

I wish I could get one of these now.

OP
OP

corvettez06usa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yep - bring back the twin turbo 6! Seems most manufacturers are headed to turbo platforms anyway.
This would be the second scenario: The V6TT engine from big sister the GTR.

I absolutely love the current 370Z. I am a previous Z owner (1990 300ZX non-turbo). I'd love to have one in my massive (in my head) car collection. From a practical standpoint, I can live with the 2+2 size benefits of the Mustang, along with the tire serviceability, as compared to the Z.

I wish I could get one of these now.
If I had the money, believe me, a Z would be in my garage for sure. Only mod I would do is swap the "370Z" tag on the back for a "Fairlady Z" from Japan. I absolutely love the car as it is.

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
Well, I'm moving on from a 370 Nismo to the Mustang GT. I could have kept both, however with future plans to include a VW camper within 2 years ( yeah I'm old, it won't be), my wife's car (Seat Leon FR) and a willing buyer waiting for my Z, it all didn't add up! Too many cars.

To compare the two, I agree with the op, they're not really comparable, the Z is pitched as a sports car, sort of GT (the road noise can be terrible on a long journey), whereas the Mustang is a true Grand Tourer, made to rip up the vast expanse of the USA, in a comfortable, effortless way. I plan to use my Mustang to do similar on mainland Europe ( unfortunately the UK roads were built for the horse and cart, more suited to the Z over the Mustang probably).

The fun, however, that can be had with a Z on our country roads or indeed alpine passes will be a hard act to follow. What I want and believe that a Mustang will give me is, that sense of occasion, UK and Europe certainly, maybe not in the testosterone fuelled American 'muscle' market ( I say muscle with a caveat, the Pony is not pure muscle but 'Pony', IMO).

The Z, 350, 370 will be a classic in the not too distant future, the 370 Nismo, certainly, there are only a handful for sale on Autotrader in the UK and they have reasonably strong residuals, just look at the 240/60 and skyline's, they're going for amazing money for a well restored one.

The Z has heritage in spades, not too unlike the Mustang, I hope I love my Mustang as much as the Z.

One of the drawbacks of the Z is that it's pretty maxed out on power without going FI, then there's not enough reliable tuners, here in the UK at least, who you could trust with confidence.

Nissan will probably go along the 2.0 twin turbo route in the future when they come back with a Z car. With the mighty, and make no mistake, it is mighty, GTR in the line up, I don't see another V6 in the mix. Gents, if you've got a Z or have a hankering for one, get one as a weekend plaything, keep the Mustang for doing that 'Road Trip'

I can't wait for my bit of Americana, God less you for keeping V8's affordable :hail::thumbsup:

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
I've had 3 Skylines all gts-t and loved them. Nissan lost thier way when they killed off the Silvia, Split the Skyline from the GTR, offered no affordable GTS and stripped the z of turbos and went for displacement instead :crazy: . Ford did what the Japanese did to them in the 90s made an affordable rearwheel drive sports car with small displacement to keep the tax, insurance and fuel companies out of your pocketbook and a turbocharger to help it stomp on bigger engines.

Had there been a $24k 315+ hp turbo Silvia, Skyline Gtst, or Z car available I wouldn't be driving a mustang. The current Zs were never even on my radar. An ecoboost with a 500 dollar access port will walk one all day.

GuardEBP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 ATS 3.6L RWD Prem. Perform., 17 350 R ordered
I drove a Nismo before ordering the Mustang and the ride was terrible! So uncomfortable.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
I've had 3 Skylines all gts-t and loved them. Nissan lost thier way when they killed off the Silvia, Split the Skyline from the GTR, offered no affordable GTS and stripped the z of turbos and went for displacement instead :crazy: . Ford did what the Japanese did to them in the 90s made an affordable rearwheel drive sports car with small displacement to keep the tax, insurance and fuel companies out of your pocketbook and a turbocharger to help it stomp on bigger engines.

Had there been a $24k 315+ hp turbo Silvia, Skyline Gtst, or Z car available I wouldn't be driving a mustang. The current Zs were never even on my radar. An ecoboost with a 500 dollar access port will walk one all day.
Totally agree with you in regards to the Skyline range. Earlier this year I was thinking of getting an R32 from japaneseclassics.com since they have some nice examples of GTS-T's every now & then. Good thing I don't have enough garage space... :D

I'd even debate that a 3rd gen GTS-T is a better proposition to own & enjoy than the full blown GT-R V-Spec. After all, these are still older cars with many years and/or mileage of wear & tear, and therefore maintenance/replacement items/restoration need to be seriously factored in.
Sponsored