Sound tube delete

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
It would be interesting to see a dyno comparison but even then I doubt you would ever notice it considering that no 2 dyno pulls are the exact same.
Sponsored

Silver6Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT
10mm deep socket, left handed rubberrized glove (latex, gardening, dishwashing all work) and Kung fu grip/old man strength and you're looking at 3 minutes to get it off. Maybe 4 minutes if you have to break it free with open ended wrench.

Firewall and intake plugs can be sourced at Ace for less than $5.

atekido

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
i think its more a placebo effect than anything rofl thats just me :p

Sponsored

NCFlyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HE
Another Sound Tube Gets Yanked

Since I have the engine and coil covers out for paint I decided it was time for that damn thing to come out. I used a 1/4 drive with deep socket and took my time. Backing that nut was slow going but it eventually loosened enough that I could turn it by hand. Biggest pain was from the oil dip stick tube rubbing my forearm but I took a few breaks and was finished in ~ 30 min. Used Boomer's chair cap idea to seal off the manifold and a bought a seal from CJPony to take care of the firewall.
Tip: I wrapped my left pointer finger with tape sticky side out to hold the seal while I slid my hand up to the firewall.

I have a Roush exhaust so the tube didn't make a difference in the cabin.

Now what to do with the hideous tube...
IMG_3278.JPG

TricarboNate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT
Since I have the engine and coil covers out for paint I decided it was time for that damn thing to come out. I used a 1/4 drive with deep socket and took my time. Backing that nut was slow going but it eventually loosened enough that I could turn it by hand. Biggest pain was from the oil dip stick tube rubbing my forearm but I took a few breaks and was finished in ~ 30 min. Used Boomer's chair cap idea to seal off the manifold and a bought a seal from CJPony to take care of the firewall.
Tip: I wrapped my left pointer finger with tape sticky side out to hold the seal while I slid my hand up to the firewall.

I have a Roush exhaust so the tube didn't make a difference in the cabin.

Now what to do with the hideous tube...
Sell it to me. :)

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Had no idea that they had this thing on this generation. I told myself I am NOT GOING TO MOD A THING on this ride.

Wrong.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Well, disconnected and capped the end to see how different it is. It is like a low output sub woofer for the exhaust note. Not extremely noticeable, more subtle quiet. I'm going to leave it like I have pictured for a while to be sure I do not want it.
sound temp.jpg

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
^^^ Looks like the protective film is still on your "5.0" emblem on the intake cover.

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Well, disconnected and capped the end to see how different it is. It is like a low output sub woofer for the exhaust note. Not extremely noticeable, more subtle quiet. I'm going to leave it like I have pictured for a while to be sure I do not want it.
I ended up ordering a silicone cap online. Probably paid too much but I am a bit anal about that stuff, and didn't want that rubber to break down from the heat and cause a vacuum leak at some point and/or suck bits into the intake. The chair leg may be fine, but I didn't have enough info on it. In fact, I drove around with one on there for a couple of weeks.

That subwoofer sound you mentioned is why I did not like the sound tube, too much like drone to me.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Well mine came off. Soooo easy...

....said no one ever. There'll be a special ceremony(bonfire) to commemorate that annoying POS. It was bad enough I simply can't throw it in the trash...it NEEDS to die!

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
I used the blowfish kit from AM. I want to say it was $12. Pretty easy install. I pulled the sound tube out. I tried getting to the nut but it wasn't feasible. Pulled out pretty easy. The cap on the firewall can kind of tricky. I found that pulling the line coming from the brake reservoir made it super easy to get my hand in there to push in the plug.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Is the sound tube hole on the interior side in a spot where cables/wires could be run though it once the tube is removed? I have several aftermarket cables I will need a place to run through the firewall.

Thanks!

NCFlyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HE
I pulled mine last month but just installed a Roush CAI and it came with a firewall cap. If anyone is looking for a cap I'd be willing to drop it in the mail for you. Send me a PM with your address and I'll get it in the mail.

Claimed!
IMG_3336.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited: