Sponsored

Sound tube delete

rj67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP Competition Orange
Vehicle Showcase
^^^ Did you get the firewall and intake tube plugs in a kit, or find them at a hardware or auto parts store?
They weren't in a kit. Got them from JLT when I dropped my covers off to have them painted. The fire plug was 1 1/4" I think. The silicone cap on the intake tube was one they had laying around. Might have been 1" ID. It had to stretched a bit to fit.
Sponsored

rj67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP Competition Orange
Vehicle Showcase

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
OMG, 12 pages on this. Same questions, answers, and techniques over and over.
NOT complaining! Just observing, lol. Besides, I enjoy this forum too much.

I am not bothered by the presence of the ST. "Less clutter?" There are plenty of wires, tubes, pipes, and lines in the engine bay already, so what's one more?

Anyway, it seems that removing the tube's filters could pipe in a little more sound for those of us still running the stock exhaust, right? Wonder if the sponges are really an EPA thing. IOW, keeps any engine bay air out of the cabin.

Who has removed the inline filters?

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
OMG, 12 pages on this. Same questions, answers, and techniques over and over.
NOT complaining! Just observing, lol. Besides, I enjoy this forum too much.

I am not bothered by the presence of the ST. "Less clutter?" There are plenty of wires, tubes, pipes, and lines in the engine bay already, so what's one more?

Anyway, it seems that removing the tube's filters could pipe in a little more sound for those of us still running the stock exhaust, right? Wonder if the sponges are really an EPA thing. IOW, keeps any engine bay air out of the cabin.

Who has removed the inline filters?
Where are the little filters located in the tube?

Sponsored

Aznjason02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Gt PP
I wasn't going to remove my sound tube, but my and most Cai require you to remove the sound tube.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
The upper part of the sound tube is sealed as far as I can tell. When I cut mine off I blew in one end and it held pressure. I couldn't get any air out the other side. I seriously doubt those prices of foam are the only thing holding manifold vacuum.

Wally-Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wally-Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP 50AP
There is a diaphragm in the tube assembly to prevent unmetered air to enter the intake system, in other words by passing Mass Air Flow sensor. This would cause major air/fuel ratio problems if air were to flow through the tube into the engine. The diaphragm acts like a drum skin to allow the sound to pass through to the cabin.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
There is a diaphragm in the tube assembly to prevent unmetered air to enter the intake system, in other words by passing Mass Air Flow sensor. This would cause major air/fuel ratio problems if air were to flow through the tube into the engine. The diaphragm acts like a drum skin to allow the sound to pass through to the cabin.
Just like an ear drum in the ear canal.

ridenfish39

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT PP
I ripped this bitch out the other day.....best thing ever. It definitely makes a difference with the interior noise. Much cleaner sounding inside now....

Sponsored

Boomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Hey guys, this was my 2nd mod (after removing the clutch spring), and I found some great caps on eBay that are a perfect fit on the intake nipple. They are thick vinyl "leg tip", so I'm thinking will last a long time too.

Looks like an OEM part, tight fit with no clamp needed, and seem to have no problem with under-hood heat. Look better than the big rubber caps to me.

Pack of 4 on eBay is just over $5, and I've got three left I'll send out if anyone wants one. (free)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shepherd-4pk-1-Black-Vinyl-Leg-Tip-19213-/131721641398?
20160129_183411 (Small).jpg

Boomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Hey folks, I have 4-5 people responded to my offer for the caps, so they're gone, thanks!

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Just found this on another site. I figure someone here may be able to clarify this as I find it hard to believe but what do I know.

http://www.ehow.com/info_12156112_air-intake-resonator-do.html
The sound tube and the intake resonator are 2 different things. The resonator is the big squarish piece attached to the top of the intake box right up close to the radiator. Removing the res may alter the sound a bit. Performance difference is probably negligible. Most cars have them. The one on my Accord sat down in the fender well, about half the size of a PC cabinet (no kidding). Cold air intakes don't have them due to a simpler, cleaner design, and people like to hear the intake too.

My sound tube removal had no effect on performance that I could tell.
Sponsored