Sponsored

SCCA F-Street Setup. What's Everyone Done so Far?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The limitation on offset has always been part of 'Stock' category (used to be ±1/4"), which has recently evolved into 'Street'. SCCA's reasoning for this minimum-prep category has never considered appearance preferences to be legitimate basis for technical allowance.

Norm
Sponsored

ABQautoxer

Autox Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
are their any 18s that we can run in FS? Jesus this is rough
Yes. This is Street class, which means you have to think in terms of custom wheels on many cars. Personally I don't think 18s will be the way to go. I researched it a ton, the thrust curve is just garbage, the Gen6 Camaro manual will walk the car so badly on the same size rears. Better off shifting as needed and having one of the top 3 thrust curves in the class and nothing seems to put down power quite as well. The new top dog in thrust is a big unknown for putting power down, Gen 6 camaro SS automatic.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
are their any 18s that we can run in FS? Jesus this is rough
Off the top of my head, your best bet would probably be to find a vendor willing to get involved with Forgestar. Their range of offsets for at least some of their wheels ought to have some combination that meets SCCA's offset requirements.

Norm

thevillageidiot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT premium with PP 6speed
i assume spacers can't be used to fix offset problems correct? my primary reason for going with 18s isn't only the weight its the cost of the tires.

ABQautoxer

Autox Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
i assume spacers can't be used to fix offset problems correct? my primary reason for going with 18s isn't only the weight its the cost of the tires.
Yes they absolutely can as long as you have enough thread engagement to pass tech/be safe. The problem is all decent offerings for fronts have offsets the wrong way where spacers would make the problem worse (ET35 for example). You'd instead have to mill 3mm off the wheel to make it ET38.

Sponsored

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
Enkei PF01's in 18x9 and 18x9.5 are both available and in legal offsets (45mm both). They clear the front brakes with a small spacer. I test fit them with 5mm but was worried about stud length. I'm pretty sure a 2mm-3mm would be more than enough and would provide the same engagement as the stock wheels + the 5mm spacer. Relatively light weight too at 18lbs up front and 20lbs out back. $1400ish from the Tire Rack... otherwise you are looking at Forgestars for legal 18" wheels.

275/35/18 RE71R's would be the ticket for those wheels. Probably looking at an observed second gear speed of 57ish... third gear somewhere in the mid 80's.

ABQautoxer

Autox Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
275/35/18 RE71R's would be the ticket for those wheels. Probably looking at an observed second gear speed of 57ish... third gear somewhere in the mid 80's.
The way our limiter works, I think you'll more realistically high 55.9mph in 2nd.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
The way our limiter works, I think you'll more realistically high 55.9mph in 2nd.
Either way, too short to be realistic in 2nd gear and not short enough to use only 3rd. IE: Probably not the best solution. I'm not sure the extra MPH from the 285/35/19's over the 275/35/19's is worth it either. Still going to have to shift on most courses and learning to properly down shift wont kill me! :)

Heck, villageidiot was there, he saw me running the car out in 2nd and shifting to third in a parking lot course and then downshifting again! Getting better! ;)

thevillageidiot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm currently emailing apex to see if they plan on making changes to their fitment for the mustang or if we are out of luck. because their wheels are super light and pretty strong. But thanks whiskey

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Off the top of my head, your best bet would probably be to find a vendor willing to get involved with Forgestar. Their range of offsets for at least some of their wheels ought to have some combination that meets SCCA's offset requirements.

Norm
Several FS autocrossers with 2015 GT PP cars have purchased FS legal 19 inch Forgestars from Sam Strano. Offsets are 39F/48R vs oem 45F/52.5R. Also Tire Rack (and probably Sam) sell OZ's with the oem offset that are a bit lighter than the Forgestars which are already lighter than the oem wheels.

Sponsored

dontlifttoshift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Yeah, that.

I don't think 18s are the answer, despite the 200 dollar savings per set of tires. I went through 3 sets this year and that still isn't enough to make me want to look at skateboard wheels on my car or shift to 3rd more often.

z3papa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW M3
I'm currently emailing apex to see if they plan on making changes to their fitment for the mustang or if we are out of luck. because their wheels are super light and pretty strong. But thanks whiskey
I've got multiple sets of Apex ARC-8's for my M3. Nice light, relatively strong wheels at 19# per corner. Their offsets are doable for my car but I don't think you can mill off enough to make the rears work in 18". The drop in diameter for me works as it brings me to 69 mph at top of second which is a good sweet spot.

thevillageidiot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several FS autocrossers with 2015 GT PP cars have purchased FS legal 19 inch Forgestars from Sam Strano. Offsets are 39F/48R vs oem 45F/52.5R. Also Tire Rack (and probably Sam) sell OZ's with the oem offset that are a bit lighter than the Forgestars which are already lighter than the oem wheels.
do u happen to know the model>

thevillageidiot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Either way, too short to be realistic in 2nd gear and not short enough to use only 3rd. IE: Probably not the best solution. I'm not sure the extra MPH from the 285/35/19's over the 275/35/19's is worth it either. Still going to have to shift on most courses and learning to properly down shift wont kill me! :)

Heck, villageidiot was there, he saw me running the car out in 2nd and shifting to third in a parking lot course and then downshifting again! Getting better! ;)
yeah, i really wish we had the 3.55 rear ends

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
do u happen to know the model>
CF5. One is a deeper offset than the other. Your choice of several color options since the wheels are made to order. Mine are piano black. Talk to Sam about lead time but assume roughly 6 - 8 weeks plus shipping from California where the final machining and painting is done.
Sponsored