Sponsored

Rumor: 500bhp GT in 18 months?

Boss Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C43C
Interesting.

Talk about the potential to piss on the competition if this was to debut at next years Detroit auto show. Its possible and would be a brutal move if played.
Sponsored

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
The upcoming GT350 will be at least 500hp (read: more than 500hp, but they're not done certifying the final # yet). I remember in 2005 when Ford announced the 2007 GT500 would have at least 450hp (and it ended up arriving with 50 more hp at 500hp).

A 5.0L Coyote with 500hp? Easy! Add direct injection (we all know it's inevitable) for an extra 10% and you're over 480hp. A little tuning and/or better flowing exhaust on top of DI and you're there. Heck, my '14 GT is at roughly 485hp currently with just tuning & exhaust mods (435 rwhp). DI would easily get my car over 500hp.

And here's a thread elsewhere in these forums with a '15 GT with exhaust & tuning at 440 rwhp (about 490hp at the flywheel assuming a 10% drivetrain loss): click here.

Last edited:

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
Interesting.

Talk about the potential to piss on the competition if this was to debut at next years Detroit auto show. Its possible and would be a brutal move if played.
You mean like when Ford announced the 662hp '13 GT500 just ahead of Chevy unveiling the 580hp ZL1 Camaro?

Dosia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
This is the kinda shit that makes it hard for me to put an order in for a 16. I would hate to get a car and a yr later it gets a big hp/tq boost. :frusty:

USPSALIMITED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 GT PP Guard
Ok, I've always thought that brake horsepower (BHP) is the power put down at the wheels, and that horsepower was the rating at the crank, and that the difference between the two were the reciprocating losses- usually about 10-15%, depending on power train.
BHP and HP are exactly the same thing, but some countries have different sized horses.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
This is the kinda shit that makes it hard for me to put an order in for a 16. I would hate to get a car and a yr later it gets a big hp/tq boost. :frusty:
The current 435hp/400 lb/ft are hardly to be sniffed at..........but I know what you mean.....460hp/440lb/ft would be even nicer :D

Just keep reading these forums though. If there's a sniff of a rumour, chances are you'll read it here first :thumbsup:

Dosia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Yep. I am curious to see the new Camaro. That will tell us all we need to know about Fords next move.

Dannyho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP DIB
interesting, to add to the conjecture... if the GT350 comes in at ~540hp, the GT at 460-470, and the EB stays at 310 or so, I would think that might leave enough room in there for a v6 ecoboost. this is probably getting off topic, but I don't think they would want to have much of a performance gap within their models.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Yeah, I'm not buyin it.

Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I like how people pretend like DI is this simple thing that can just be slapped on a motor for big HP gains lol. If it were that easy, why wouldn't Ford have already done that I wonder? Shoot, why isn't every motor DI?

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
Just be glad if you didn't buy a 2010 Mustang, the last year of the 4.6L. Then a year later the V6 Mustangs were putting out almost the same HP as you and the GTs were +100 HP and blowing your doors off.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I like how people pretend like DI is this simple thing that can just be slapped on a motor for big HP gains lol. If it were that easy, why wouldn't Ford have already done that I wonder? Shoot, why isn't every motor DI?

There are several drawbacks to DI including the commonly known issue with carbon buildup, more noise at idle, of course cost to build, also cost to maintain, then the unknown R&D to design a system that eliminates or minimizes as many of these drawbacks as possible.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
There are several drawbacks to DI including the commonly known issue with carbon buildup, more noise at idle, of course cost to build, also cost to maintain, then the unknown R&D to design a system that eliminates as many of these drawbacks as possible.
Precisely. I'd like Ford to do a little more than just slap DI on every motor willy nilly just so that owners can say theirs is bigger to Camaro owners.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
There are several drawbacks to DI including the commonly known issue with carbon buildup, more noise at idle, of course cost to build, also cost to maintain, then the unknown R&D to design a system that eliminates or minimizes as many of these drawbacks as possible.
I guess there are pros and cons to most engine technologies.

As to why Ford didn't have DI on the Coyote from day one? Probably cost for one thing........but they'll always hold back so improvements/efficiences can be made further down the line.

Now, the 5.2 Voodoo uses Port Injection.........I need to do some Googling, but could that be an option? I wonder what the pros/cons of that are?

:)
Sponsored