Sponsored

Rumor: 500bhp GT in 18 months?

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I always thought BHP was Brake HorsePower, which means HP on an engine dyno as opposed to WHP (RWHP or AWHP or FWHP) which would be a Wheel HorsePower as measured on an engine dyno. But you are implying that there is some other BHP that is different? Where is this coming from and what is the conversion? I've also heard of PS, which is German HP I think, and has a slightly different value (I know McLaren rates their model numbers by their PS power rating).

As far as Mustang power goes, 500 in a couple years seems high, but would be pretty sweet, especially if coupled with some form of direct injection for better fuel economy.

-T
Sponsored

Supa LA

Drop a gear and disappear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic Mustang GT PP
Subscribed for details/info, however, i doubt that it will happen as others have stated. Why throw another competitor at the GT350?

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I always thought BHP was Brake HorsePower, which means HP on an engine dyno as opposed to WHP (RWHP or AWHP or FWHP) which would be a Wheel HorsePower as measured on an engine dyno. But you are implying that there is some other BHP that is different? Where is this coming from and what is the conversion? I've also heard of PS, which is German HP I think, and has a slightly different value (I know McLaren rates their model numbers by their PS power rating).

As far as Mustang power goes, 500 in a couple years seems high, but would be pretty sweet, especially if coupled with some form of direct injection for better fuel economy.

-T
Yep, bhp is power at the flywheel. 500bhp = 507PS.

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
Look at the top of the picture above the article.
It's titled "from it's new Ford Performance Division"

I would take it in that context to mean that the 500 HP reference is to the GT350.
For all we know, across the ocean Ford might decide to designate it as just an upgrade to the current GT for some reason. Perhaps some countries make you pay extra and jump thru more hoops for each model designation and they are trying to get around having to charge an unnecessary premium.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Look at the top of the picture above the article.
It's titled "from it's new Ford Performance Division"

I would take it in that context to mean that the 500 HP reference is to the GT350.
For all we know, across the ocean Ford might decide to designate it as just an upgrade to the current GT for some reason. Perhaps some countries make you pay extra and jump thru more hoops for each model designation and they are trying to get around having to charge an unnecessary premium.
Nice try, but incorrect. The rest of the article relates to a potential new Fiesta RS from Ford's Ford Performance division.

GT350 is not going global :(

Sponsored

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Yep, bhp is power at the flywheel. 500bhp = 507PS.
Yes, but HP is NOT measured at the wheels.........that's rear wheel horsepower. The 435hp of the Mustang is NOT at the wheels :)

However, trying to get a clear answer on the differences between HP and BHP is hard! I've just spent a while Googling, and it's not helping lol. The best I've found is:

It can be explained that BRAKE HORSEPOWER is NETT Power available for 100% utility. Then NETT HORSE POWER + LOSSES in conversion of energy will be the H.P.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Anyway, whether its HP or BHP the magazine is saying it's gonna get a boost in power, whatever way it's measured :p

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I could see 475HP and 420 TQ...but 500 is a bit much.

Now DI+5.2 could very well equal 500.

A lot of people are assuming the GT350 will ONLY have 500hp, my guess is 525-550 is going to be closer to the truth.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, but HP is NOT measured at the wheels.........that's rear wheel horsepower. The 435hp of the Mustang is NOT at the wheels :)

However, trying to get a clear answer on the differences between HP and BHP is hard! I've just spent a while Googling, and it's not helping lol. The best I've found is:

It can be explained that BRAKE HORSEPOWER is NETT Power available for 100% utility. Then NETT HORSE POWER + LOSSES in conversion of energy will be the H.P.
I think HP = BHP, just BHP is the common lingo used by everyone outside of 'Murica. Now I'm second guessing myself lol.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Found a (slightly) clearer explanation:

1. HP is the output horsepower rating of an engine, while BHP is the input brake horsepower of an engine.

2. BHP is the measurement of an engine’s power without any power losses, while HP is BHP less the power losses.

3. HP is measured by hooking up the engine to a dynamometer, while BHP is measured in a controlled environment without anything attached to the engine.

To be honest, using online conversion tools, there's not much it in, so you're probably right that in this day and age, it doesn't make a massive difference which one is used. For example, the 435HP of the S550 equates to 429BHP. I don't think my butt dyno would notice the difference :D

Sponsored

B-52 Jetman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT, Johnny Cash Edition
Don't think so, they might be confused with the GT350 that's about to come out. Why would Ford boost the 5.0 HP the same as the 5.2 VooDoo...makes no sense.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
I can't see that much of a power hike coming for the standard GT. Direct injection is said to add about 10%.

I'd rather 460hp/440tq than 500hp/410tq anyway. Their target should be trying to match LT1's torque in case Alpha-Camaro SS is around the same weight as the GT.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I can't see that much of a power hike coming for the standard GT. Direct injection is said to add about 10%.

I'd rather 460hp/440tq than 500hp/410tq anyway. Their target should be trying to match LT1's torque in case Alpha-Camaro SS is around the same weight as the GT.
Oh I agree, 460hp (or BHP :p ) and 440/tq would be VERY hard to resist :headbang:

DJGold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2015 V6 Manual (3.55 diff)
That article is bogus. "The US will get an option for a 3.7L V6"...??? When was this article written? 2010? I'm sure the 500hp Mustang they are refering to were early rumors of the GT350.

c3po

CNCforlife
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion- company car
Ok, I've always thought that brake horsepower (BHP) is the power put down at the wheels, and that horsepower was the rating at the crank, and that the difference between the two were the reciprocating losses- usually about 10-15%, depending on power train.
Sponsored