Sponsored

Roush CAI and/or Tune How is it? How is the sound?

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
Many have predicted the Roush CAI and Tune will be identical to the Ford Racing CAI and Tune coming out soon.

How much of a difference do you feel seat of the pants? Better throttle response? Engine Breaking? Driveability?

How did it change your exhaust note? Do you have a more snap, crackle and pop than a snarl? How is the engine overrun noise?
Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
I could give you my butt dyno results but I'm hitting an actual dyno next week if you want something definitive.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Any update on this?? Roush is claiming 25 hp and 30 ft-lbs @ 4,300 and I'd trust them as they work VERY closely with Ford.

leszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 CO GT PP vert
I received my power pack level 1 Roush package (intake + tune combo). I'm still waiting for my J2534 device to arrive from China so for now I only installed the intake. Couple of notes:
  • The instructions do not mention at all whether you need to keep or remove the 85mm restrictor/insert from the intake tube (without the restrictor the MAF portion of the tube has 105mm. I called Roush and they said that you need to keep the restrictor with their tune. They said that they did not get any additional power from the larger tube due to the throttle & manifold restrictions so they decided to have one tune fits all.
  • I have a Toyota compatible J2534 and I can use it with the Roush software to read data from the car, but it fails programming. I'm now waiting for the Ford/Mazda specific one.
  • For now with intake only my butt dyno says no change. :) However the removal of the sound tube makes the cabin quieter even with the Roush intake. IAT stays about 6 deg F (4 deg C) above ambient as long as you're moving at least 15mph. The seal seems to be working well.

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
I could give you my butt dyno results but I'm hitting an actual dyno next week if you want something definitive.
Look forward to seeing those numbers. Did your dealer install and if so what was their take on warranty? My dealership doesn't handle Roush and didn't even want to install the Roush side scoops on my car.:crazy: They did say though they wouldn't have a problem with anything that was FRPP as long as they installed and did the tune. Then again they never returned my call when I called to ask about getting a set of FRPP lowering springs installed a while back which is poor service and kinda pisses me off....

Sponsored

ZombieHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red California Special
CAI & TUNE, SOUND AND MORE

Hi All,
Just giving my feedback as I just added CAI,tune and Custom Granatelli Coolant tank [hated the bubble tank] to my GT/CS this weekend. [pic below, before I removed the sound tube] I got everything from Livernois Motorsports [Thanks Daniel!] and went with the Severe Windstorm CAI and the My Calibrator tuner plus the coolant tank. Anyhow at first I liked the stock sound that the under hood tube made. Then I installed a Serve Windstorm CAI with the tube still connected and oh my god, the noise was so loud I couldn't heard the exhaust etc at all even had to turn the radio up.. So I capped it of with the parts that came with the CAI and now it sounds great! I actually like it better than the stock sound it sound like its the engine under the hood [which it is] but not in the car like the tube kinda was.. With that and the 93 octane tune I can tell it makes more power but how much I don't really know as I haven't dyno'd it or been to the track etc. More on the tune, stock I just didn't seem to have a good feel with the gas pedal. The car is a manual so driving a stick with out good gas pedal feel I just didn't like it, I felt unconnected to it somehow?? I was always giving it too much or too little throttle taking off, shifting gears etc and I've been driving Mustang sticks forever.. Anyway after the tune now it's great! I feel connected and I can control the throttle much better and its easier and a much smoother drive. It also seems like the front end rises up more and faster and pulls harder when I get on it so its probably got more torque too. I also once hit the rev limiter stock [just testing it.] and the car like shut down and nose dived hard and stayed running, but now with the tune it just shutters like a MSD rev limiter and doesn't lose all power just some. I like that much better!! I'm sure that alone will make it faster at the track if I wind it up a little too much. Which is easy because it revs and pulls so hard I never want to lift.. [my bad I guess] Anyhow the Granatelli coolant tank does nothing but make the engine compartment look good but damn good I think, for sure worth the money to me..All in all I spent about 3 hours doing all of it and I got out just what I hoped or expected so I am very happy with all of it. best Mustang I've ever had which is saying a lot as I've had over 12 different models over the years nice work Ford!! ... .. :ford:
stang.jpg

Jayme

DoggystyleRacing®
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aedhp.com
First Name
Jayme
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I've had good luck with my roush cai, results in my sig.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
[MENTION=24242]ZombieHunter[/MENTION], welcome to the community and it's great to hear that Daniel took awesome care of you!

I have drive several manual S550's and I would have to agree with you on the pedal feel. I used to have an 04 GT 50th anny and going form mechanical linkages to all computer controlled everything is definitely weird at first. It is almost like some has put Novocaine on your right foot then made you drive.

I'm glad that you found the right noise for your car as well by adding our Severe Windstorm CAI and capping off the symposer. It is odd at first to hear engine noise from the speakers!

You may not have seen that we have a HUGE week coming up next week! We have our CAD Track Day and Dyno Day 2016​!

RSVP today so that we can slide you into the last remaining spot for each event!

On a side note, if you do not like your throttle tip-in, response or similar driving characteristics we can help!

Last edited:

ZombieHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red California Special
Thanks I'll try and make it to one of them..

leszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 CO GT PP vert
I received my power pack level 1 Roush package (intake + tune combo). I'm still waiting for my J2534 device to arrive from China so for now I only installed the intake. Couple of notes:
  • The instructions do not mention at all whether you need to keep or remove the 85mm restrictor/insert from the intake tube (without the restrictor the MAF portion of the tube has 105mm. I called Roush and they said that you need to keep the restrictor with their tune. They said that they did not get any additional power from the larger tube due to the throttle & manifold restrictions so they decided to have one tune fits all.
  • I have a Toyota compatible J2534 and I can use it with the Roush software to read data from the car, but it fails programming. I'm now waiting for the Ford/Mazda specific one.
  • For now with intake only my butt dyno says no change. :) However the removal of the sound tube makes the cabin quieter even with the Roush intake. IAT stays about 6 deg F (4 deg C) above ambient as long as you're moving at least 15mph. The seal seems to be working well.
Programmed the Roush tune yesterday. It took about 15min. to tune and 30min total to go through the entire end-of-line procedure (the software does additional checks after the tune and forces you to have a test drive before the entire procedure is completed.)

Seat of the pants tells me no change. :) However the throttle is more responsive for sure. I'll see how it feels after a few days of driving once the ECU adapts to the local gas and the car itself.

Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
No change uh? That's kinda disappointing but yeah see after a few days if it pulls harder at WOT and let us know if you don't mind.

Hope all of these "tunes" aren't just throttle mapping to a more aggressive curve to think you're better off ... in fact, I think the PP throttle is plenty aggressive as it is and wouldn't want it any more so.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Programmed the Roush tune yesterday. It took about 15min. to tune and 30min total to go through the entire end-of-line procedure (the software does additional checks after the tune and forces you to have a test drive before the entire procedure is completed.)

Seat of the pants tells me no change. :) However the throttle is more responsive for sure. I'll see how it feels after a few days of driving once the ECU adapts to the local gas and the car itself.
Odd. I had the dealership install my tune and I noticed right away it pulled harder. The before and after difference was similar to the stock difference in having a passenger and not having a passenger.

leszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 CO GT PP vert
Odd. I had the dealership install my tune and I noticed right away it pulled harder. The before and after difference was similar to the stock difference in having a passenger and not having a passenger.
You have a re-mapped shift points and shift speed of the auto transmission on top of standard throttle mapping re-mapped to a quicker response.

I have a manual transmission and had an already more aggressive throttle mapping that's part of the PP package.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You have a re-mapped shift points and shift speed of the auto transmission on top of standard throttle mapping re-mapped to a quicker response.

I have a manual transmission and had an already more aggressive throttle mapping that's part of the PP package.
The flash tune does more than just calibrate your throttle mapping and change your shift points. I find it hard to believe you gained nothing from your tune; I hope your car is functioning okay. :(

Edit: That came out wrong. Wasn't going for sarcasm; I'm genuinely surprised because you should be seeing results.

leszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 CO GT PP vert
The flash tune does more than just calibrate your throttle mapping and change your shift points. I find it hard to believe you gained nothing from your tune; I hope your car is functioning okay. :(

Edit: That came out wrong. Wasn't going for sarcasm; I'm genuinely surprised because you should be seeing results.
Of course it does more than just calibrate shift points and throttle mapping. But to bypass those I only concentrate on what it does at full throttle. Well after about 2 hours of driving (24h total) the car finally started to feel faster. Looks like the ECU finally adapted to the local gas. My guess - purely a guess - is that the factory default is 87 octane as that's what the Roush programming supports as the minimum octane and it takes some driving time for the ECU to adapt to the higher octane. Roush does recommend not to go below 91 octane for good performance.
Sponsored