RLCA bearing: who has removed theirs?

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Feels like bushing deflection to me? My GT3 was rock solid with monoballs everywhere and the engine in the wrong spot.
I would look at the shocks, im dont know that much about suspension but it seems more of a rebound issue in the shock. but i think depending on the size of the bump and speed, it would be expected. like if you hit a speed bump around a turn at 40mph youre going to experiences some bump steer lol
Sponsored

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I like that the Steeda comes with an installation tool.
Just a heads-up, it's more of a press adapter than a standalone tool. You still need a press of some sort.

In the pic attached, the Steeda "tool" is the shiny round thing sitting on top of their bearing in the lower right of the picture. Sorry I don't have a better pic of it. The black adapters on the right side of the pic were from a bearing press kit borrowed from Autozone. The press kit was used on the toe link bearing, but wouldn't work on the LCA bearing (don't remember exactly why, but think it didn't have enough of a mouth to get all the adapters, etc on there.)
DSCN2112.JPG

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I stand by my claim. The car (and your heart) skips for just a second, then everything is back to normal.
Mine used to. It was very unsettling. Changed shocks and I now have the confidence to power through, knowing it'll keep the tires on the road.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I think a lot of my problem is the dampers are having trouble dealing with the progressive springs. But I also think that I do not need the LCA bearing and I think it is adding additional NVH to the equation. I am going to make one change at a time and not do anything rash at this point.

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
Just a heads-up, it's more of a press adapter than a standalone tool. You still need a press of some sort.

In the pic attached, the Steeda "tool" is the shiny round thing sitting on top of their bearing in the lower right of the picture. Sorry I don't have a better pic of it. The black adapters on the right side of the pic were from a bearing press kit borrowed from Autozone. The press kit was used on the toe link bearing, but wouldn't work on the LCA bearing (don't remember exactly why, but think it didn't have enough of a mouth to get all the adapters, etc on there.)
Yep sorry that's what I meant. When I had toe toe link bearings done the shop had to fuss around and make an adapter up.

Mine used to. It was very unsettling. Changed shocks and I now have the confidence to power through, knowing it'll keep the tires on the road.
So do you think the change has been because of more rebound in the Konis? Makes sense. More rebound pushing the tires back into the ground more effectively and promptly.

I think a lot of my problem is the dampers are having trouble dealing with the progressive springs. But I also think that I do not need the LCA bearing and I think it is adding additional NVH to the equation. I am going to make one change at a time and not do anything rash at this point.
I have the ford racing springs with linear (BMR handling) and it still does it. No oscillation in my car which I think the steeda shock mounts help out with. Can I ask why you have changed your mind about the RLCA bearings? I remember reading your initial impressions and you were really happy with the change. Is it a matter of not doing enough spirited driving to reap the benefits of the bearing to justify the additional NVH? Not being facetious, just curious. NVH is a very subjective topic and people have different tolerance to it so it's always interesting to hear other people's perspective.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yep sorry that's what I meant. When I had toe toe link bearings done the shop had to fuss around and make an adapter up.

So do you think the change has been because of more rebound in the Konis? Makes sense. More rebound pushing the tires back into the ground more effectively and promptly.

I have the ford racing springs with linear (BMR handling) and it still does it. No oscillation in my car which I think the steeda shock mounts help out with. Can I ask why you have changed your mind about the RLCA bearings? I remember reading your initial impressions and you were really happy with the change. Is it a matter of not doing enough spirited driving to reap the benefits of the bearing to justify the additional NVH? Not being facetious, just curious. NVH is a very subjective topic and people have different tolerance to it so it's always interesting to hear other people's perspective.
Less compression damping, more rebound. Rebound is adjustable, compression isn't. Both were the right change for my setup.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
@Bmac if you're softening the springs (I think I read somewhere you're going to SP089/082?) it'll be interesting to see if the Konis need further adjusting.

Sponsored

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
[MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] did your OEM sized Steeda shock mounts fit the konis?

Sorry to go off topic

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
[MENTION=29474]spiller[/MENTION] - I think it was more of a case of not having enough seat time into it and judging what the car does in all areas. The LCA bearing definitely helps with cornering, especially stepping out during a turn and getting hard on the throttle. It does wonders for wheelhop, which is why I am concluding that this is more meant for drag racers.

I think where my problem is arising is in the compliance and articulation of the suspension at high speeds and over undulating and changing road surfaces. You wouldn't notice it being unsettling driving around town or on a perfectly smooth road. But for a road handling car I have a feeling that it is not allowing the IRS to articulate the way it needs to and it is actually inducing bind not reducing it. In addition, my whole setup is a factor as well. For instance, I think also my vertical links are far too stiff with the delrin/spherical combo and it needs more compliance. So with the LCA bearing and the bearings in the vertical links it's not giving me the proper compliance needed for the rear suspension to do its thing properly.

I plan on changing out my vertical links for a more compliant piece and then see how it is. After I see what change it made, next will be taking the LCA bearing off. If those two things aren't the answer, then I will look at better shocks to offer better control. Lastly if that doesn't work than new springs of the linear variety will get put on.

If I go step by step I will figure out what's going on for certain and better understand why.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I installed the BMR LCA bearing for my car. It really wasn't that difficult. The best decision I made was taking the lower arms after I removed them down to an independent local auto parts store that did machine work. They charged me $35 to press out the old and press in the new. I dropped them off in the morning and picked them up after lunch. It was the best $35 spent and I didn't have to spend hours as some have doing it myself on a homemade press.

Ryan P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jap Crap
[MENTION=29474]spiller[/MENTION] - I think it was more of a case of not having enough seat time into it and judging what the car does in all areas. The LCA bearing definitely helps with cornering, especially stepping out during a turn and getting hard on the throttle. It does wonders for wheelhop, which is why I am concluding that this is more meant for drag racers.

I think where my problem is arising is in the compliance and articulation of the suspension at high speeds and over undulating and changing road surfaces. You wouldn't notice it being unsettling driving around town or on a perfectly smooth road. But for a road handling car I have a feeling that it is not allowing the IRS to articulate the way it needs to and it is actually inducing bind not reducing it. In addition, my whole setup is a factor as well. For instance, I think also my vertical links are far too stiff with the delrin/spherical combo and it needs more compliance. So with the LCA bearing and the bearings in the vertical links it's not giving me the proper compliance needed for the rear suspension to do its thing properly.

I plan on changing out my vertical links for a more compliant piece and then see how it is. After I see what change it made, next will be taking the LCA bearing off. If those two things aren't the answer, then I will look at better shocks to offer better control. Lastly if that doesn't work than new springs of the linear variety will get put on.

If I go step by step I will figure out what's going on for certain and better understand why.
I don't disagree with your methodology here, but I do disagree that the bearing causes binding. I have the stock vertical links (see zero reason to change them out), but everything else is bearings. With the sway bar disconnected and the spring/shock removed, the whole assembly moved from stop to stop buttery smooth. No binding at all whatsoever. My guess is that you will get the best results swapping out your struts/shocks with something different. The reading I've done on those Ford Performance shocks and struts is that they are only incrementally above the stock PP struts and shocks, which are woefully underdamped. :shrug:

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
This is very interesting. What sort of NVH do they complain of? I have the RLCA and diff bushing lockout. My issue isn't with noise, it's more a bouncy/unsettled ride at speed. Around town it isn't really that noticeable but at highway speeds especially 75-80 and above it feels unsettled on anything but a completely flat surface.

I don't recall feeling it like this before the RLCA and diff lockout installed but unfortunately they were both installed at the same time. So I can't attribute it to one or the other.

My original theory was/is that my progressive springs are contributing to it as well.
I have the BMR LCA bushings, high-durometer vertical links, and FRPP knuckle-to-toe bushings -- I don't have ANY other suspension mods... YET. I can tell you that wheel hop has been reduced, and that the rear seems more planted -- other than that I don't have additional bounciness. I may do the steel insert-only option from BMR since this is a street-driven car, and mostly always will be. In some instances people have had interference with sloppy welds on the cradle from the "cups" supplied in the BMR lockout kit -- not a reflection of something wrong with the BMR strategy or kit -- just saying that some have had issues. I'll probably go with BMR springs at some point -- not sure if I'll change out the dampers or not -- I've heard good things about the SP089 front, and SP082 rear combined with the stock Performance Pack dampers (not sure if they have the "0" in the part number - Kelly may chime in) -- [MENTION=9985]BMR Tech[/MENTION] Kelly has reported on several threads that the bigger issues occur when you combine stiffening the cradle and the differential together -- do either one individually, and things are still happily streetable, but together there can be a big uptick in NVH -- one guy reported that he almost got thrown off the road, rear-end first after hitting a bump. He had just had the cradle dropped out, and all the bushings replaced: cradle, diff, etc. It's like BMR says in the second post of this thread.
Sponsored

Last edited: