Sponsored

Resale value....ouch

scottmoyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT and 2016 GT
My 2014 has 38k miles now. My '17 has 6500.

Again, I want to state that dealers will offer you a low ball price so they can get the profit when they retail the car. Retail prices seem to be pretty good on the 2014 with the majority being in the low to mid $20k. range. These are Premium models, not base models.
Sponsored

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White '18 GT350
Mustang ownership is a one way street. Don’t expect to trade in the car after a year and get something else. A loaded 5.0 seems to lose 44% as soon as you drive it off the lot (at CarMax). See the most incredibly stupid things done with cars on this forum. You should buy the car and keep it well after the payment period of five or six years but at this site that makes you a dinosaur. I saw the 5.0s go for 18-23 grand more than my six when I bought my car and that is insane! The dealers never stocked the base GT. I don’t know what you are buying for the extra cash but the resale always tells the truth.

A car is an emotional purchase and realize this when you buy a Mustang. You pay dearly for the bragging rights and as soon as a refresh or new model comes along you are forgotten like yesterday’s news. Is there even a forum for previous versions of Mustangs here? The six was EOL months after I bought it and I knew it all going in. I bought the cheapest base car and through fleet sales no less, that is how I buy a Mustang! Happy as a clam now but I am old and my ego is not tied to a car.
So bc you bought a base v6 we all should follow that route. Glad you like your car, for me I wanted the creature comforts. To each their own.

Why would or should there be a dedicated forum for previous mustang? There's plenty out there as is, and in case you didn't figure it out this forum is for the 6g.

mmm...

6k in about two years? For Ferrari’s that kind of mileage matters but not Mustangs. What’s the pressing need for an 18 anyway? I’ve driven Mustangs for decades but if you itch for a change lurk in other performance car forums. This place will just make you myopic to the possibilities. There’s a whole world of interesting cars out there. Take a look around. Just saying...
Again, of course this site will make you relatively myopic. It's a MUSTANG forum.

Though really people here do seem to, mostly, give other cars their due and recognize the short comings of the stang

wjones14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE; Sold: 2005 Mustang GT
I paid MSRP for my 2005 Mustang GT Premium Coupe. $26,125. Sold it 10 years later with 78,000 miles for $11,000. It retained 42% of its original value after 10 years.

In comparison, according to Kelley Blue Book, the value of my BMW after 3 years and 10,000 miles is now about 60% of the original MSRP.

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
This is why I bought a low optioned GT. Then again, I plan on keeping this car for a long time

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
So bc you bought a base v6 we all should follow that route. Glad you like your car, for me I wanted the creature comforts. To each their own.

Why would or should there be a dedicated forum for previous mustang? There's plenty out there as is, and in case you didn't figure it out this forum is for the 6g.

Again, of course this site will make you relatively myopic. It's a MUSTANG forum.

Though really people here do seem to, mostly, give other cars their due and recognize the short comings of the stang

I put that in as you never hear people talk about resale on the base and I went right for that rock bottom price. As for 6g yes it’s 6 Gen cars but one tiny forum for all the other Mustangs would not hurt as I have driven them since the 1980s and some have multiple cars in addition to a 6g.

Sponsored

Lionorion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Family minivan (for now)
Vehicle Showcase
mmm...

6k in about two years? For Ferrari’s that kind of mileage matters but not Mustangs. What’s the pressing need for an 18 anyway? I’ve driven Mustangs for decades but if you itch for a change lurk in other performance car forums. This place will just make you myopic to the possibilities. There’s a whole world of interesting cars out there. Take a look around. Just saying...
That may be true. But no other car in our price range is as beautiful. IMHO

OP
OP
lazarus870

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
so what did they offer you?
canadian prices so won't be relevant to most people but offered me 31 and trade-in online showed 33-36 value

reek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I think most performance specific cars are terrible for resale. Pretty much why I'm driving my GT like I stole it. would hate to try to sell it in 5 years and never have enjoyed it just to get a 1-2 thousand more in value.

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
I think most performance specific cars are terrible for resale. Pretty much why I'm driving my GT like I stole it. would hate to try to sell it in 5 years and never have enjoyed it just to get a 1-2 thousand more in value.

Pretty much this. You always take a huge depreciation hit buying a car new regardless of what make or model.

I drive way too many miles to worry about resale value anyway

Sponsored

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
i traded a 16 base gt only had 355 gears magnetic, cloth int. manual ,lowered with sve drift rim. 7800 miles..i got 26,400. i had it a little over a yr..on my current car .

which i thought was fair trade in seeing it was a base and mods dont bring the value up at all so .. i paid 30 out the door for the 16 and that was at the end of 15 i bought it

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I lost $6k after a year but I bought it $6K below MSRP so that's $12k below MSRP after just a year.

KV Racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP
Depreciation doesnt bother me as I have no intention of getting rid of my '16 anytime soon, or possibly ever. I buy stuff to hang on to it. The last 4 vehicles I have purchased, I still have 3 of them, and none of them (besides the '16) were bought after 2006. The only one I dont have is the one I traded in on the 2016, and I had owned it since 2003. So unless my Mustang starts to become a mechanical liability, it's not going anywhere.
Oh, and it's actually "better" for me if the car loses it's value so I dont have to pay so dam**d much property tax on it every year. LOL

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Depreciation does not matter if you keep the car. What drives me crazy is guys who buy up a loaded car and then add mods and then want to buy a newer car because of a refresh and 30 extra horsepower at the top end!

They are most definately young and all well and good, but if they are like me they will date and marry some girl while owning the car and then have to start thinking about a house and that downpayment. Maybe mommy and daddy will give it to you two love birds but if not that car business can come back to bite you in the ass. It’s not even a proper car for new homeowners. Anyway, I am old so what do I know. Well I can by 14 fully loaded 2018 5.0 Mustangs right now if I wanted to. The fleet manager where I bought this car was willing to send me on my way with the car two hours later after lunch if I wanted - no financial worries etc. with me. But even I baulked at the 50 thousand dollar 5.0.!!!! :tsk: Look - 30 minutes ago I saw a loaded 2018 5.0 convertible for 61,500CAN and that is over double the sticker for my car. Is it double the car? Nope! So someone is getting the shaft and it’s anyone that buys that car. Ford is to blame for the rapid depreciation of the higher end Mustangs as they are all bloat in options. Buy the base 5.0 and live with that. Lighted pony puddles and lighted Mustang sills are money down the drain. In my honest opinion of course.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Its obvious cars depreciate and our mustangs are no different. That being said, using Carmax as a reference is completely useless. There offer to buy is a marketing gimmick to get u in the door, nothing more. They will obviously buy anyones vehicle at a fire sale price much like a pawn broker. If he wanted a true value hed go back to a ford dealer and get a value for trading up.

Anyone who thinks they're getting anywhere near FMV from a dealer needs to step away from the pipe!
Sponsored