Sponsored

Reducing underhood temps

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Since ive Installed my Kenne Bell my under hood temps have been pretty high. Lately with the ambient temps around 65 I see iats of 120ish. When I open the hood the amount of heat the escapes is astonishing. I've removed the rubber seal at the back of the hood but it didn't do much to help. I'm not sure if it's the long tube headers with the lower motor mounts but it's definitely alot worse than na.

Is there anything else I can do to extract some of the heat? I've already got a custom car guys upper and lower mesh grille.
Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Have you removed the carpet-like fire blanket from the underside of the hood? That may act as an insulator keeping some of the heat in.

Aftermarket heat extractors in the hood that are more opened up than the OEM ones.

Meth injection wont help underhood temps but will help lower IATs

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Last edited:
OP
OP
racingmason

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Have you removed the carpet-like fire blanket from the underside of the hood? That may act as an insulator keeping some of the heat in.

Aftermarket heat extractors in the hood that are more opened up than the OEM ones.

Meth injection wont help underhood temps but will help lower IATs
The fire blanket has to be removed on Kenne Bell installs. Im almost thinking of removing the performance pack undercover to let the air escape.

Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Also open up the front grill enclosed the Whipple airbox and added velocatech Ram Big Mouth that feeds the airbox.
IMG_1965.PNG
IMG_1967.PNG
IMG_0910.JPG

OP
OP
racingmason

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Also open up the front grill enclosed the Whipple airbox and added velocatech Ram Big Mouth that feeds the airbox.
I have the woven mesh custom car guys grille. its the same just more open surface area.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I have the woven mesh custom car guys grille. its the same just more open surface area.
Yup I'll be changing mine again this month to more open surface area as well not sure which one though. It's hard to choose.

cobra99dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I dont seem to have that problem with my KB. I also have longtubes. My IAT's are typically 40 degrees above ambient so today it was 38 out and I was seeing IATs around 75. Keep in mind that KB moves the IAT sensor to after the air has already been through the blower and compressed essentially an IAT2. So you'll always see higher IATs then say a Whipple setup but nothing to be too alarmed about. I did find that mine improved about 10-15 deg by using 75/25 water to coolant and a bottle of water wetter rather than the 50/50 mix recommended by KB.

OP
OP
racingmason

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I dont seem to have that problem with my KB. I also have longtubes. My IAT's are typically 40 degrees above ambient so today it was 38 out and I was seeing IATs around 75. Keep in mind that KB moves the IAT sensor to after the air has already been through the blower and compressed essentially an IAT2. So you'll always see higher IATs then say a Whipple setup but nothing to be too alarmed about. I did find that mine improved about 10-15 deg by using 75/25 water to coolant and a bottle of water wetter rather than the 50/50 mix recommended by KB.
Thanks. The IAT is not too bad, its just the insane amount of heat in the engine bay when I open the hood. It seems like i need to create some flow to get it out.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
If you want to remove heat from the engine bay then heat extractors or cowl hood (or both) will do the trick.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Awesome stuff, guys. I used an electric nibbler to cut my hood areas out, and after having them on for a year, I can tell a difference. Mine are the Scott Drake's painted to match the car, but the vents in this thread look nice, too.

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Awesome stuff, guys. I used an electric nibbler to cut my hood areas out, and after having them on for a year, I can tell a difference. Mine are the Scott Drake's painted to match the car, but the vents in this thread look nice, too.
How much of a difference? Dying down here in traffic! Most of my driving is stop and go. It was 78 yesterday and I sat at a backup for 15 minutes. IAT 150!

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
How much of a difference? Dying down here in traffic! Most of my driving is stop and go. It was 78 yesterday and I sat at a backup for 15 minutes. IAT 150!
The main reason I did the enclosed air box was to ward off the Whipple air sucking in hot air when stopped. With my setup like I did above enclosing the airbox and adding the big mouth snorkel it draws air now from in front of the grill. My inlet temps now only rise to maybe 100 but that takes like 15 munites. Before if it was 80 out when stopped it would hit 150 in a couple minutes.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
As Roh92cp has said, I switched to an enclosed airbox as well going from my Steeda CAI when I was NA, to my enclosed CAI Roush supercharger set up. After cutting the hood open more for the vents like I did, you can feel and see the hot air resonating out of the vents quite well when you stop and check it out. I also removed the rear rubber strip under the hood, switched to a 170* thermostat, removed my fog lights and installed brake cooling bezels with hoses and aimed at the engine/headers. My car runs cooler now supercharged than it did when it was NA, according to my gauges. I live in Pennsylvania, so I don't think I needed to do this stuff as much as I WANTED to do this stuff. I just like fooling around with this sh*t. And I'm trying to feel your pain Southview about it being 78 degrees, but it was 22 degrees here this morning, so I'm not feeling that bad for ya. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::cheers:
Sponsored

Last edited: