Sponsored

Rear Tires for Boost?

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
well, the nt05 will drag radial will work the best, just depends on if you ever get caught in the rain

we run the 305/45/17 radial pros
Sponsored

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
I've personally found virtually no difference in dry traction in equal conditions with NT05 vs 555. My Cobra makes way more torque and may actually spin less on 555s with a Whipple and I'd sure as shit rather drive in the rain on 555s. Worst hour of my life was spent driving in the rain on NT05Rs on the interstate with 70mph limit (with me doing 45mph).

Furore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 6A
I run Toyo Proxes 325/30/19 (19x11) in the rear. Definitely a major upgrade over the stock 20x8s I was running.

cyandhappiness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Premium PP
Just wanna make sure if people going for DR on the rear with supercharger we need to change our half shaft out correct?
I need to get some supporting mod going so might need to add that to the list.

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
Only if youre going to track it. You're highly unlikely to break on the street.

Sponsored

SmokedSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
:clap2:Somebody needs to put these Nitto 555r drag radials 305x35x20 on sale

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
With the first set of DR's I had ...Nitto NT05R's ...The car would hook in second gear on the street if I heated them up with 17psi in them. If I did not heat them up 2nd gear was worthless...no hook until 3rd (notice i didn't mention 1st)..this was with 19x10's and a 305/35/19 tire. The Nittos lasted 7k ...I have now switched to MT S/S 305/35/19's. Absolutely hands down the best tire for traction. First gear is very usable now. On hwy driving I will get some sway....but they really hook.

nicktechla

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nicktwaddell.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot

SmokedSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
NT05R *when freshly installed* will hook like a mofo (first still useless on street without burnout, but second is usable with gradual application of throttle). After a few thousand miles, the very soft tread compound will cause the tread surface to break down and degrade and the surface of the tire will look like a tennis ball with loose rubber peels and the grip will be worse than ever. When you reach this point, they will only hook well when you do a burnout to clean some of the feathering rubber off the surface. But its a long service life of basically hooking like shit (my car will usually light them up in 4th gear) once you get to this point. I have wore a set well beyond and found that once most of the tread depth is gone, the feathering starts to go away, and then they hook again decent (normal temps will hook in 3rd with gradual application of throttle) until the cords show.

This problem I am describing, I personally believe is a mostly IRS specific thing, as I cannot find many solid axle guys talking about it. IRS is always running some toe and camber and putting extra heat and wear into the tread.. the soft compounds get attacked by it I THINK.

I put on some MT Street R. They hooked even better than the NT05R. They also degraded even faster than the NT05R and in less miles than an oil change the tires are worthless for street use as they will now only hook after a massive burnout to clean the peeling rubber off.

My thoughts are basically that the drag radials will hook best but only when new. Once they start wearing they are worse than ultra high performance tires that wont start peeling and breaking down.

Attached is a photo of what a NT05R looks like after a few thousand miles of use (the photo was taken much later, but the surface had been like this for a long time before i took the photo). As you can imagine, hooking up with that loose rubber all over the surface is futile. The MT Street R did the same thing only sooner. So, tons of tread DEPTH left, but an entirely worthless tread surface. Alignment was at -1 degree camber, and 1/16in toe L&R (in spec). I was thinking about trying ZERO toe in the rear to see if that might prolong the tread surface life a little bit.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
level of traction desired at what speeds would be a question too.. i wanted a tire with ok tread life and decent traction.. i think most people know you can hook 1st gear on the street. best you can hope for is to roll into 2nd.. i have standard nt05 im trying as my compromise and the seem to be satisfactory so far with few hundred miles on them.

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
Well after chewing up my NT05Rs in no time (they look like they'll make maybe 3k mi with no track time) I dropped the money for the AM 20X10 PP rear wheels with 305/35/20 555Rs.

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP Oxford White
I just put 555's out back in 305/35/19 and am very impressed with how well they hold. I can get all over it in 2nd gear, and can get on it pretty good even in first. With the Pzeros I couldn't hit it hard until 3rd gear, and even then I had to be pointed perfectly straight.

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
555s in 19"? Are you talking about G2s?

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT PP, 2022 F350
X2 nto5r's are worthless.