RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
Hello everyone!
So just as a lot of you guys, I'm dreading the look of the rear calipers on my GT 2020 when the front BREMBO calibers looks great!

I looked into painting the calipers, but it both was a PITA job along with the result of just making an ugly caliper visible.
When I turned to covers, I realized that there was a lot of options and with different results and work needed.

My goal... It should be easy to do myself, it should be fairly cheap and I wanted a solution where it was possible to take the brakes on/off for maintenance without having to cut off or ruin the covers.

This is what I used for the project:
- Caliper covers size large
- BREMBO Sticker
- Graphite grey spray paint (Find something that matches as good as possible - this was what I could get in Denmark)
- Automotive clearcoat (I found something from the same brand as the paint)
- Heat resistant silicone sealant (I found some heat resistant gasket silicone for 250degrees C (482 degrees F))
- Different tools and stuff explained through the guide.

Preparation of the original caliper:
Org. rear red.jpg

I brushed off any dirt with a steel brush dremel tool and afterwards I cleaned it with petrol based cleaning agent and then isopropanyl. I only cleaned the marked area since that was where it would bind.

Covers:
Covers painted.jpg

The covers needed to be cut a little to fit since they are universal. I have no pictures of this process but I did it with a fresh box cutter blade and I kept cutting a little, test fit, cut again, test fit, and so on untill it was as wanted.
I took off the screws and fake brake lines. sanded the covers with fine grid for prepping it for paint. Then I painted then with 4 coats of paint and made it cure for 24 hours.

Then wet sanded it with very fine grid both to make the small flaws in the paint go away along with making it better for binding with clearcoat.

On with the stickers - might be the most tricky part to get it straight and looking good.
After the stickers has been added it is time for clear coat.

IMPORTANT! First coat of clear has to be very thin since too much will dissolve the adhesive on the stickers and make them wobble and ugly... and YES!... I did that the first time and had to sand down both covers again and start over, so make sure you're careful here!
Afterwards I glued the screws back on along with the fake bleed valve. I used epoxy for this.

Comparison:
Compared.jpg

In the picture the color is more off that real. Have in mind that the front brakes aren't painted and in this picture the caliper is away from light under a fender while the cover hand held out where the light makes it look brighter.

Mounting:
Caliber with adhessive.jpg
Cover with adhessive.jpg
Cover mounted and pressurxed.jpg

The silicone was added in the caliber as well as on the cover. I used a finger to spread it to make it stick better (on the cover the black lines are markings of where it will sit on the caliber). After spreading it, I added a little more on both parts to make sure it would bond together nicely.

Afterwards when pressing it on the caliper I went to town with tape to make it sit still and correct for a couple of days to make completely sure that it had cured.

Polish and coating:
Cover mounted and done.jpg

After it had cured I polished them with 2500 polish compound and then coated them with CarPro CQuartz 3.0. Add they are smooth, looks glazed and are hardly picking up any dust. Plus they are very easy to clean!

Before and after:
1688850435895.jpeg

_DSC0609.jpg

_DSC0622.jpg

Final thoughts...

This was an easy project and it requires no special tools or expensive parts. It is not perfect and when you know what to look for, you can easily still see the original bracket.
It could have been done a lot prettier but I had a priority of easy maintenance as stated in the beginning.

I am really happy with the result and I can only recommend to go for it.

If you have any questions regarding this guide just hit me. Due to logistics since I'm in Denmark I might not be helpful with where you're able to find the parts others than the covers and stickers. And even those you might be able to find cheaper/easier than I could here in We-hate-funny-cars-part-of-the-world, haha!

Happy modding!

Thoughts a year after:
So after a year I did a checkup when getting the car ready for winter storage.
I am amazed that it seems to be placed well protected by the rim from stone chips - it has no damage at all and this is also the first time cleaning the covers and it went smooth as F...
I tried to pull it lightly but as far as I can remember, it sits just as fine as when mounted.
I also checked if they had any heat damage or was warped due to heat but no signs of that.

I ended up just cleaning it and then put on some ceramic maintenance detailer and we're ready for the next season 🔥

@MrBD1348 @StangTime @Roy_Steeda @ing3nious @WhitemarePP @LarsenGrind
Sponsored

Last edited:

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
This is a cool mod and great write up, great detail here.

Caliber; The diameter of the inside of a round cylinder, such as a tube.

Caliper; The assembly housing the brake pads in a disc brake.

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Haha thanks! I've corrected that! Such little detail that makes a bit difference which I wouldn't know since English is my secondary language.
Didn’t mean to be rude, hope I didn’t come off that way! Your English is much better than any of my second languages (I don’t speak any other language).

ing3nious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mom mobile
This is awesome thank you! I’m getting a dead link on the caliper cover from Aliexpress. Can you please screen shot the item @RasJeremy ?

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Thanks for the detailed info @RasJeremy
Your car looks awesome!

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
I am down right impressed. Great idea and outstanding work but I have one concern however this may not concern your project, the possibility for the caliper temperature to exceed the silicone sealant. I know the rotors can and will exceed that under certain conditions but not sure about the caliper itself. Either way my hat off to you sir for impressing the hell out of me.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
@RasJeremy

The link to the cover is dead, could you repost?

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Roy_Steeda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP, 2014 Mercedes E550
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone!
So just as a lot of you guys, I'm dreading the look of the rear calipers on my GT 2020 when the front BREMBO calibers looks great!

I looked into painting the calipers, but it both was a PITA job along with the result of just making an ugly caliper visible.
When I turned to covers, I realized that there was a lot of options and with different results and work needed.

My goal was that it should be easy to do myself, it should be fairly cheap and I wanted a solution where it was possible to take the brakes on/off for maintenance without having to cut off or ruin the covers.

- Caliper covers
- BREMBO Sticker
- Graphite grey spray paint (Find something that matches as good as possible - this was what I could get in Denmark)
- Heat resistant silicone sealant (I found some heat resistant gasket silicone for 250degrees C (482 degrees F))

Org. rear red.jpg

I brushed off any dirt with a steel brush in my dremel tool and afterwards I cleaned it with petrol based cleaning agent and then isopropanyl. I only cleaned the marked area since that was where it would bind.

Covers:
Covers painted.jpg

The covers needs to be cut a little to fit since they are universal. I have no pictures of this process but I did it with a fresh box cutter blade and I kept cutting a little, test fit, cut again, test fit, and so on untill it was as wanted.
I took off the screws and fake brake lines. sanded the covers with fine grid for prepping it for paint. Then I painted then with 4 coats of paint and made it cure for 24 hours.

Then wet sanded it with very fine grip the both make the small flaws in the paint go away along with making it better for binding with clearcoat.

On with the stickers - might be the most tricky part to get it straight and looking good.
IMPORTANT! First coat of clear has to be very thin since too much will dissolve the adhesive on the stickers and make them wobble and ugly... and YES!... I did that the first time and had to sand down both covers again and start over, so make sure you're careful here!
Afterwards I glued the screws back on along with the bleed valve. I used epoxy for this.

Comparison:
Compared.jpg

In the picture the color is more off that real. Have in mind that the front brakes aren't painted and in this picture the caliper is away from light under a fender while the cover hand held out where the light makes it look brighter.

Mounting:
Cover with adhessive.jpg

The silicone was added in the caliber as well as on the cover. I used a finger to spread it to make it stick better (on the cover the black lines are markings of where it will sit on the caliber). After spreading it, I added a little more on both parts to make sure it would bond together nicely.

Afterwards when pressing it on the caliper I went to town the tape to make it sit still and correct for a couple of days to make completely sure that it had cured.

Polish and coating:

After it had cured I polished them with 2500 polish compound and then coated them with CarPro CQuartz 3.0. ANd I can tell you that they are hardly picking up any dust and they are very easy to clean!

Before and after:
1688850435895.jpeg

_DSC0609.jpg

_DSC0622.jpg

Final thoughts...

This was an easy project and it requires no special tools or expensive parts. It is not perfect and when you know what to look for, you can easily still see the original bracket.
It could have been done a lot prettier but I had a priority of easy maintenance as stated in the beginning.

If you have any questions regarding this guide just hit me. Due to logistics since I'm in Denmark I might not be helpful with where you're able to find the parts others than the covers and stickers. And even those you might be able to find cheaper/easier than I could here in We-hate-funny-cars-part-of-the-world, haha!

Happy modding!

Hello everyone!

My goal was that it should be easy to do myself, it should be fairly cheap and I wanted a solution where it was possible to take the brakes on/off for maintenance without having to cut off or ruin the covers.

- Caliper covers
- BREMBO Sticker

Org. rear red.jpg

I brushed off any dirt with a steel brush in my dremel tool and afterwards I cleaned it with petrol based cleaning agent and then isopropanyl. I only cleaned the marked area since that was where it would bind.

Covers:
Covers painted.jpg

The covers needs to be cut a little to fit since they are universal. I have no pictures of this process but I did it with a fresh box cutter blade and I kept cutting a little, test fit, cut again, test fit, and so on untill it was as wanted.

Then wet sanded it with very fine grip the both make the small flaws in the paint go away along with making it better for binding with clearcoat.

Afterwards I glued the screws back on along with the bleed valve. I used epoxy for this.

Comparison:
Compared.jpg

Mounting:
Cover with adhessive.jpg

Afterwards when pressing it on the caliper I went to town the tape to make it sit still and correct for a couple of days to make completely sure that it had cured.

Polish and coating:

After it had cured I polished them with 2500 polish compound and then coated them with CarPro CQuartz 3.0. ANd I can tell you that they are hardly picking up any dust and they are very easy to clean!

Before and after:
1688850435895.jpeg

_DSC0609.jpg

_DSC0622.jpg

Final thoughts...

Happy modding!

@RasJeremy - simply outstanding write up. Thank you. Great work and craftsmanship. You are to be commended. Thank you for sharing.

OP
OP
RasJeremy

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
Didn’t mean to be rude, hope I didn’t come off that way!
Not at all, it was even great with your explanation - we learn something every day :)

This is awesome thank you! I’m getting a dead link on the caliper cover from Aliexpress. Can you please screen shot the item @RasJeremy ?
Fixed in the guide. I can recommend for you to just look up different types of covers to find the look that you like the best - I just thought these were kinds close to the front ones.

Let me know of your progress :)

Thanks for the detailed info @RasJeremy
Your car looks awesome!
Thanks! If you get into the project, post pictures of it here :)

Kind words and concern about temperature
I had that exact same thought in mind and went through google for information. If tou go track you might be better fitted with metal covers and some silicone that is fitted for 400 degrees C (752 F) this stuff is just not that easy or cheap to get in my part of the world.

But for daily use it wont be that hot at all. Both since it is the rear brakes and it is not like you're on the brake constantly.
I found somewhere that rear brakes on a hot day with regular use will run around 200C (392 F) but it wasn't clear if it was the disc/pads and or the caliper.

I have had numerous of runs at 250 km/t (155 mph) and medium to hard braking and so far no discolouration, warping or parts going lose. However if that will happen it will be updated asap in here.

@RasJeremy

The link to the cover is dead, could you repost?
Link updated. I can also recommend you to find a cover that have the look you find satisfying (there are a lot of options) - I picked this one since I thought it was quite matching to the front ones.

@RasJeremy - simply outstanding write up. Thank you. Great work and craftsmanship. You are to be commended. Thank you for sharing.
Thank you for your kind words :)

plresultsman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
16 White GT Vert GT PP Roush Stg1 M'flow ctbck
Hello everyone!

- BREMBO Sticker

Org. rear red.jpg

Covers:
Covers painted.jpg

Comparison:
Compared.jpg

Mounting:
Cover with adhessive.jpg

Polish and coating:

Before and after:
1688850435895.jpeg

_DSC0609.jpg

_DSC0622.jpg

Final thoughts...

Happy modding!

Well done!

Polski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marek
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP2 401A
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone!

- BREMBO Sticker

Org. rear red.jpg

Covers:
Covers painted.jpg

Comparison:
Compared.jpg

Mounting:
Cover with adhessive.jpg

Polish and coating:

Before and after:
1688850435895.jpeg

_DSC0609.jpg

_DSC0622.jpg

Final thoughts...

Happy modding!

I was wondering if I want to order Mach1 HP wheels for my Magnetic PP2. With this photo I know that yes, I need them :)
Sponsored