Question about online tunes vs local tunes

Royb2120

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Hello, if theres already a thread on this please direct me to it. Recently I decided to get a tune, after picking up a set of Texas speed long tubes, and a PMAS intake. I was wondering if the difference between an online tune or a local one is worth it. I was thinking of going with Lund since they are allegedly one of the best. I have also heard good things about Shoemaker. What would you guys recommend? I also live in South Florida and heard about getting tuned locally by Custom Speed Creations or DF Performance. If you know any other shops please let me know!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Fusion Training Systems

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1
Try the search engine and you’ll read everything you want to know.

Jjmoberg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 on order
I just went through this same decision. I was going to drive 3 hours for a street/dyno tune. Ended up deciding to go remote based on a recommendation i got here. Saved some money as well. I just loaded the tune last night but I am happy so far.

Lund would not be my remote choice based on reading here for the last 20 months

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The reality is that there's not really a way to know for sure.

A dyno tune has the following advantages:
  • You know how much power you're making
  • you'll have a consistent load applied to the car during tune development
A remote tune has the following advantages:
  • You have access to a wider array of tuning companies and by extension, you have access to talent that you'd never be able to see locally
  • generally lower cost

It almost entirely comes down to the skills of your tuner, if your local guy is amazing and does a really good job then that's the right answer, but if they're only average then the advantages of a dyno tune are not justified.

You'll never truly know who's a good tuner, that's all kept very close to the vest. What goes on behind the curtain is never disclosed, so there's no way to know if a big name is actually better than a smaller operation.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
If you want a local tune to you then go to Palm Beach Dyno in West Palm Beach......hope you can understand what im trying to say.

OP
OP

Royb2120

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I just went through this same decision. I was going to drive 3 hours for a street/dyno tune. Ended up deciding to go remote based on a recommendation i got here. Saved some money as well. I just loaded the tune last night but I am happy so far.

Lund would not be my remote choice based on reading here for the last 20 months
Who'd you end up going with.

OP
OP

Royb2120

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

• You have access to a wider array of tuning companies and by extension, you have access to talent that you'd never be able to see locally

It almost entirely comes down to the skills of your tuner, if your local guy is amazing and does a really good job then that's the right answer, but if they're only average then the advantages of a dyno tune are not justified.

You'll never truly know who's a good tuner, that's all kept very close to the vest. What goes on behind the curtain is never disclosed, so there's no way to know if a big name is actually better than a smaller operation.
Sounds good, thanks for the insight!

Jjmoberg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 on order
Who'd you end up going with.
User adjustable ethanol tune plus 91/93 tunes from P1 Tuners. Using the PCMtec multitune. Dan Estal is doing my tune. I got my cable in 4 days and my tune the day after that.

My general impression so far is these dudes know wtf they are doing for sure! And very responsive.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
The quality of the tune is more a function of who does it than where it happens. And it’s hard to go by “reviews” because you can’t sense 99% of what’s going on by just driving a car or even putting in the dyno or track.

Are you keeping cats?

Sponsored

Ls_Eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic Metallic GT
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

Royb2120

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
User adjustable ethanol tune plus 91/93 tunes from P1 Tuners. Using the PCMtec multitune. Dan Estal is doing my tune. I got my cable in 4 days and my tune the day after that.

My general impression so far is these dudes know wtf they are doing for sure! And very responsive.
Ill check them out. Definitely like the multitune

OP
OP

Royb2120

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The quality of the tune is more a function of who does it than where it happens. And it’s hard to go by “reviews” because you can’t sense 99% of what’s going on by just driving a car or even putting in the dyno or track.

Are you keeping cats?
Catless. But keeping my stock exhaust, not trying to be that guy 😂

K Myers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maurice
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang
Hello, if theres already a thread on this please direct me to it. Recently I decided to get a tune, after picking up a set of Texas speed long tubes, and a PMAS intake. I was wondering if the difference between an online tune or a local one is worth it. I was thinking of going with Lund since they are allegedly one of the best. I have also heard good things about Shoemaker. What would you guys recommend? I also live in South Florida and heard about getting tuned locally by Custom Speed Creations or DF Performance. If you know any other shops please let me know!
A lot of the shops still use these guys they will up load it and do all the data logging and went you get it back all you got to do is SEND IT. Shoemaker FTW

K Myers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maurice
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang

• generally lower cost

My first was from Bama (American Muscle) they were running a special tunes for life $175.00 i got it didnt know any better it worked fine because i didnt have anything to compare it to, then I got the same tune from Shoemaker, boy what a diffrence.
Sponsored