Sponsored

Possible head gasket issue, dealer cannot diagnose

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
Posting this in the issues section since it's more relevant here.

My car is an early 2016 build with a Cleveland engine. I currently have 61,242 miles on it with no powertrain-related mods other than a catch can and intercooler/charge-pipes (see sig). About 3 weeks ago, I noticed that the car would start a bit rough for about 2-5 seconds, and then proceed to run smoothly. At the time I didn't notice any smoke or smells (although I was in the car so it was hard to see, and prior to this I never had the dreaded Ecoboost PCV-related smoke issue.

Below is what I checked at that time:

I checked and didn't see any DTCs in Forscan Lite. I didn't see anything too out of the ordinary when I logged some drives with Forscan. No issues with the low side fuel pressure vs desired, no issues that I could see with excessive knock/misfire, long term fuel trim cells were < +10%, octane ratio hadn't changed, and everything else looked fairly normal. Zero issues with coolant temperature or cylinder head temperature.

I checked my catch can and emptied it. It had a small amount of oil that looked typical from what I've emptied in the past. I actually replaced the hoses on it at the time since the original ones from Mishimoto were garbage and weeped oil out of them pretty much from day-1. They sent me new ones that are holding up fine so far. The catch can has been on the car since 1,500 miles (basically brand new) and I have never gutted or replaced the PCV.

I pulled the plugs (NGK 1 step colder-than-stock), verified the gap was consistent 0.028" and didn't see any wetness or fouling that I could see. They've been in there about 2 years, so I replaced them with the same units gapped to 0.028". At the same time I removed and cleaned the throttle body and other than typical light carbon buildup, it wasn't dirty. Once I did these two steps, I disconnected the battery and cleared the Keep-Alive Memory so that the car could re-learn all trims/adaptations.

I changed my oil about 1,500 miles prior to noticing the issue and the oil was pretty normal - dark, but I certainly didn't see any milkiness or anything strange. The car doesn't consume oil for the most part and I normally go ~5,000 miles between changes. I use 5W30 Mobil 1 with the Motorcraft filter. Regardless, I checked the oil and fill cap and didn't see any signs of coolant. The level was fine as well.

I checked the coolant when it was cold, and noticed that it was slightly below the MIN line on the degas bottle. I topped it off with the OEM orange Motorcraft coolant, and marked the cold level. I looked all over for leaks, but couldn't find any external leaks. I didn't pressure-test it, but just decided to keep an eye on it. I haven't had any issues with low/no heat in the cabin either.

The steps above didn't really seem to affect anything, and I noticed the cold start rough idle would only happen occasionally. Fast forward to last week, and I noticed that the cold start was accompanied by a bit of whitish smoke. Nothing too crazy, but more than what you would expect to see from condensation. It seemed to have a bit of an odor, but it was so slight that it was hard to tell if it was due to the car running in open loop when warming up or if it was a sweet antifreeze-like smell. It only did it on cold starts, and would clear up fairly quickly. I checked the coolant again, and it seemed to have gone down slightly (maybe 1/8" - 3/16") from the level I previously marked.

Yesterday I got an el-cheapo boroscope and decided to pull the new plugs and check them out as well as take a look in the cylinders. I did that this morning when the engine was dead cold. Cylinders 1-3 looked pretty normal. Cylinder 4 had a small pool of coolant in it which looked as if it was weeping down the side of the cylinder wall. The boroscope I used came with a mirror, but I couldn't get the damn thing to focus properly so I couldn't see the top of the combustion chamber or valves, but I did get a decent look at the cylinder wall and it looked consistent with what you can see of it in the pictures below. I didn't take a picture of the plugs unfortunately, but I didn't notice any fouling, however, the "rim" that the ground strap attaches to in cylinder 4 had some very slight moisture on it. The insulators looked fine and the gaps were the same as I set them. I pulled the oil cap again, which you can see in the third picture below. Possibly a bit of condensation, but looks fairly clean to me.

This is cylinder 3. Cylinders 1 and 2 looked pretty consistent to this one.
View media item 16478
This is cylinder 4. Note the coolant weeping down the side of the wall at the 8 'o-clock position.
View media item 16477
Here's the oil cap. I didn't notice any milkiness on the dipstick, but didn't grab any pictures of it either.
View media item 16476

After seeing this, I called the dealership this morning (Saturday) and let them know. I have the Ford ESP (Extra Care) that I bought from Flood Ford and it's good until 7 years, 75,000 miles, so I have coverage. I'm bringing the car in on Tuesday (I'll call back on Monday and see if I can bring it in that afternoon). I don't want to drive with it like this. I have the "enhanced rental coverage" with the "first day rental" option as well, so hopefully they'll take care of me. Does anybody have experience with using this?

Pretty frustrating because I'm honestly not very hard on this car, and I take pretty good car of it. Like I said above, the only powertrain-related mods I have are the catch can and the intercooler / charge pipes. Prior to this though, the only issues I've had with the car were the evaporator core which kicked the bucket 2 years into ownership in mid 2017, and the evap purge solenoid/valve that set the P1450 DTC code. I replaced the evap part myself as it was $20 and would've been an inconvenience to take it to the dealer. The evaporator core was replaced under the original 3Y/36K warranty.

Update as of today: the dealer has had the car since Monday. They said they didn't find any coolant leaks and I sent them the pictures in response. They said they took another look and that "it's nothing to be worried about". Does anyone have any advice on what to do? It seems to me that coolant shouldn't be in the cylinder.
Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I am not familiar with aftermarket parts on an EB but would Ford consider a charge pipe worthy of voiding your warranty? I would assume you already looked into that before putting it on as you spent the coin for the extra care. If it doesn't than you need to get what they said in writing and open a case with Ford. No antifreeze should not be in your #4 cylinder.

OP
OP

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
I am not familiar with aftermarket parts on an EB but would Ford consider a charge pipe worthy of voiding your warranty? I would assume you already looked into that before putting it on as you spent the coin for the extra care. If it doesn't than you need to get what they said in writing and open a case with Ford. No antifreeze should not be in your #4 cylinder.
The charge pipes shouldn't be related since they're only related to air induction and don't connect to anything directly involved in the cooling system. They connect between the turbo and the throttle body, meeting at the intercooler (which is air-to-air in the EB) between each of these. dealer didn't cite any modifications as being related to my issue. They seemed more interested in getting me out of their hair despite what I told them about the issue. It seemed like their tech might've pressure tested the cooling system for a few minutes, but might not have left it for very long. Since they couldn't detect a loss of pressure in a short amount of time, and couldn't preproduce the smoke issue on a cold start, they claimed it couldn't be real. I sent them the pictures, and they "looked at it again", but then said the smoke at cold start was "normal" and that apparently my pictures with the coolant in cylinder 4 were "nothing to worry about" and kept asking when could come in to pick it up. I asked them in what situation is it normal that coolant should be present in the cylinder, and they just continue to BS me about there being no leak. I'm picking it up tomorrow morning and I'll see what their writeup says. I'll then see if I can get some more pictures (cylinders, spark plugs, orange coolant that I wiped off the camera, or the declining coolant level) as well as catch a video of the rough idle and cold start smoke.

I'll then call another dealer and see if they can help. Does anyone know of a helpful Ford dealer or even service advisor in Houston?

I had to fight like hell to get the dealer I bought it at to even look at it, and others were really backed up.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
You will find once you open a case with Ford the dealership will change their tune real quick. You will have the service manager calling you.

You are on the right track as far as documentation and pics. Its hard to argue the pics. I second the alternate dealership as well.

OP
OP

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
You will find once you open a case with Ford the dealership will change their tune real quick. You will have the service manager calling you.

You are on the right track as far as documentation and pics. Its hard to argue the pics. I second the alternate dealership as well.
Yeah, I've documented like crazy. I picked up the car today. I looked at the service ticket. It seems they only cold-started the car and checked for smoke, then advised that it was normal operation in cold weather. I understand that, but my complaint was that it only did it after cooling down following a drive at operating temperature for at least 20 minutes. Nowhere did I see that they pressure tested the cooling system, although they seemed to have refilled it (overfilled it as well). When I brought it in it was about a half inch below the low mark (cold), and now it's above the max line. They didn't appear to have taken a look in the cylinders from the pictures I sent. I doubt they even showed the technician the pictures, as I was told by the advisor that it was "nothing to worry about".

I took it home since there were few people there today I could complain to and I had to give up my rental. I let it cool down, then took a bunch of pictures and video with my boroscope. I put them in a Google Drive folder and plan on calling the dealership on Monday and speaking with the service manager. I'll send them the link to the Google Drive and ask them in what situation is it normal to have coolant in the cylinders. Depending on that conversation, I may bring it back in, but I'm leaning toward taking it to another dealer.

Here's the Google Drive link to a video I took of cylinder 4 if you are interested. In the video I'm turning the engine by hand, and it shows coolant in the cylinder and on the cylinder walls very clearly.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
As Kong76 noted above, it’s now time to call the Ford 800# and get a Regional CSR to start a Case. That will elevate your concerns.

Sometimes it’s not so much the Service Center or Dealership, it’s that the assigned Tech to your vehicle at the time may have been inexperienced or just doesn’t know how to properly diagnose.

I would go to another Dealer in your area AFTER you establish a Case with your Regional CSR.

—

With this last Dealer does your invoice show that the Tech performed any type of compression check on any of the cylinders or did a pressure test of the entire cooling system? That’s what the Tech SHOULD have done...

OP
OP

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
With this last Dealer does your invoice show that the Tech performed any type of compression check on any of the cylinders or did a pressure test of the entire cooling system? That’s what the Tech SHOULD have done...
No, although I had been told on the phone that they tested the cooling system and found no leaks. They refilled the coolant though. The service ticket just mentions that they tested for the cold start rough idle + smoke concern. It does not mention any other tests such as a cooling system pressure test, leakdown test, or compression test.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, although I had been told on the phone that they tested the cooling system and found no leaks. They refilled the coolant though. The service ticket just mentions that they tested for the cold start rough idle + smoke concern. It does not mention any other tests such as a cooling system pressure test, leakdown test, or compression test.
Well, if it’s not on your invoice or work order by the Tech, they didn’t do any compression test or pressure test.

Whenever they do such diagnostics, it’s supposed to be documented on the invoice as it’s part of the warranty repair process and diagnosis.

Call the Ford 800#, get a Case number opened. Find another Dealer in your area.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Obviously your borescope photo shows coolant in Cyl #4. A coolant system pressure check by the dealer may not detect a super slow leak, and/or may not show the leak if done cold.

What they need to do is pull Cly #4 plug, put the piston at BDC, then pressurize the coolant system for an extended time period and monitor the cylinder with a borescope to watch for coolant like you did.

Or they should trust your trouble shooting data and just pull the head and look for the cause. Might just be the head gasket.

If the coolant leak is just into the cylinder, the oil and oil cap will never show any signs of coolant contamination. Cyl #4 piston top is also cleaner, which is due to coolant being burned; ie, similar to how water injection cleans carbon deposits.

OP
OP

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
Update as of last week:

I took it back to the dealership and spoke with the service manager and that they would be glad to take another look. I was assigned to a service advisor who was pretty helpful and I sent him the pictures and video of cylinder 4. They put me in a loaner F-150 and started looking at it again. I got a call last week that their technician was able to verify the concern and that they were working with the Ford tech hotline to proceed with the teardown and next steps. They started that late last week and should have some more information on Monday, so I'll update next week. I'm not worried about the warranty being denied, but I'm not sure what the involvement of the tech hotline entails other than just approving the repair. I'm hoping they'll put a new engine in it, but that might be a stretch. It looks like Ford issued a TSB for the 2.0 Ecoboost for owners experiencing similar problems with coolant intrusion. That TSB seems to involve a long block replacement.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just curious, was your coolant overflow bottle showing any discolored fluid or blackish staining on the interior?

OP
OP

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
Just curious, was your coolant overflow bottle showing any discolored fluid or blackish staining on the interior?
No, I didn't see any discolored fluid or residue. The fluid looked orange and I couldn't smell any oil in it. I took a picture of the reservoir when I brought it back from the dealership the first time they looked at it. They topped off the fluid and seemed to have overfilled it, but then again the picture was taken when the engine was hot. Looks pretty orange, and it looked similar before I brought it in. When I took a look at it, I didn't do a test to see if combustion gases were in the cooling system, but visually, I didn't see any contamination.

OP
OP

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
I called the dealership today and they mentioned several parts were going to be replaced and were on order. The service advisor mentioned specifically that the head would be replaced as well as I believe something to do with the high pressure fuel pump (not sure what that has to do with my issue, but I'll take it). They should be here by Friday, so I'm looking at getting the car back on Monday. I'll update when that happens.

OP
OP

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
Update as of today (3/4/20)

I picked up the car this morning. Looks like it got a new head gasket and associated hardware. They also changed the coolant, one spark plug, and the oil/filter, which I would've expected. Based on the ticket, it looks like they actually pressure tested the cooling system this time, did a compression check, and took a look in the cylinders, and of course found coolant in #4. They then checked the block/head for any abnormalities and determined the head gasket to be the cause of the leak. They said they found a P0217 DTC, which relates to overheating, but I never saw that code set in Forscan at any point in time, which is strange. Here's a picture of the ticket if you're interested.

The head gasket was on backorder which is why it took about 4 weeks start to finish. Looks like they replaced some fasteners, which I would've expected, as well as the valve cover gasket, vacuum pump gasket, thermostat gasket, and crankshaft seal as well as the crankshaft pulley bolt (not sure how this was related, but I'll take it). I'm guessing they replaced the timing cover bolts (first line item in the pic) and silicone sealant for the cover itself, which is good because it had a small leak.

It seemed to run fine today, but I plan on taking a closer look this weekend. I'm going to check the plug gaps and take a look in the cylinder while I'm at it. If I can, I also want to get pics/footage of the valves so I can share the condition of the valves because I've only seen one or two examples posted on here. I also plan on changing the oil again just to make sure any contamination that may have gotten in the crankcase is flushed out.

I'm guessing it sat for a few weeks, because it was slow to start this afternoon. I'm thinking the battery might be toast. It's the OEM original, so it probably needs replacing anyway.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Has the Coyote 5.0 traditionally been prone to head gasket issues? I don't remember it coming up very often--especially on stock or near-stockvehicles.

Edit: for some reason I missed that this was an Ecoboost car.
Sponsored