Possible head gasket issue, dealer cannot diagnose

OP
OP

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
Has the Coyote 5.0 traditionally been prone to head gasket issues? I don't remember it coming up very often--especially on stock or near-stockvehicles.

Edit: for some reason I missed that this was an Ecoboost car.
No prob, i haven't seen anything in my research about the Coyote having a lot of examples of head gasket issues. But when I started looking into the EB platform, it seems like there are some known problems, but I'm not sure about the frequency that they occur.

There's the well-known Focus RS issue where it came to be known that Ford had actually installed the head gasket from the Mustang in the Focus RS 2.3, which called for a slightly different gasket. I believe this happened with the greatest frequency, although I have no idea of the actual failure rate. Ford issued a recall for Focus RS motors that involved replacement of the head gasket.

I also read about TSB 19-2208 for the 2.0 EB for coolant intrusion (same issue I had) that called for the replacement of the long block.

Ford also documented an issue with coolant leaks/intrusion into the cylinders in the 1.5 EB platform (Google SSM 48106). On those cars, they suggest replacement of the short block and reusing the cylinder head. There's also some sort of recall for the 1.6/1.5 EB that calls for a software update to prevent this, although I have no idea what changes were made to the PCM calibration. My mother has a 1.5 EB in her Fusion and had a recall done not too long ago and it involved reflashing the PCM.

I didn't do any research about the V6 EB platform, but it seems to me that Ford has identified some issues with the 4 cyl motors as evidenced by the TSB and other communication (recalls, etc), although I have no clue what the failure rate actually is. I'm sure there are plenty of high mileage motors out there with zero issues, and reading about these issues online you're more likely to hear from those of us who have experienced these problems.
Sponsored