New Tune-Temps

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Just got Dyno tune from a shop in Western Canada. Runs great but having a weird issue that I need some advice on as the shop is closed. And I would like to drive some this weekend.
2017 6R80 Whipple Gen 3,
170 T-Stat
Whipple larger HE, Mishimoto Rad
Tuner says he used Whipples latest calibration and just fine tuned for fuel system, inj ,etc.
On the Freeway home all was good runs really great.
But ran into stop and go traffic. Like down to 5 -15 for around a half hour.Kept my eye on gauges car was at approx 205 - 209F. Good stuff, its about 70*F Ambient.
But when I parked in my driveway temp gauge read 219F.
Fan not on. But coolant temps seem normal. He said Whipple sets fan settings at 190 then 223. (Pic) What would cause this and is this normal for those fan settings?
I've never ever saw my gauge past 209 before.
If aiming for 212F OP Temp what would be a good second temp setting?
And my reason for posting is this car safe to cruise around in till tuners shop opens again??

20240316_171247.jpg
Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Hey Daryl.

Silly, but did you happen to check to coolant level? Also check the coolant level of the intercooler system. Any

What were the temps prior to the tune change? I know you replaced the IAT harness…

Tuner likely didn’t have a reason to play with coolant levels.

Do you know if they logged coolant temps on the dyno at all? Wonder what they were?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't worry about it. Big heat pump sitting on the engine idling without airflow coming through the RAD.

OP
OP
Daryl333

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hey Daryl.

Silly, but did you happen to check to coolant level? Also check the coolant level of the intercooler system. Any

What were the temps prior to the tune change? I know you replaced the IAT harness…

Tuner likely didn’t have a reason to play with coolant levels.

Do you know if they logged coolant temps on the dyno at all? Wonder what they were?
Coolant levels are all good. I've never seen head temps past 209 that's why I'm asking.
I told the tuner he wasn't worried about it just said Whipple has a higher fan setting than I'm used to. Consensus is not to worry about it as long as coolant temps are stable and head temps don't keep climbing.
I'm so used to glitches from the last tuner I'm like the boy who cried wolf now.
Lol

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
That's normal if you just spent a significant amount of time in stop and go. WIth a custom calibration you can set the fans to run more often and at full effort, which will help keep the creep slower, but make no mistake, if you sit still, the CHT's are going to slowly climb. Should come back down quicker once you get moving and stabilize.

Remember, even though you upgraded the engine coolant system, you also added a giant heat exchanger in front of it as well.

OP
OP
Daryl333

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
That's normal if you just spent a significant amount of time in stop and go. WIth a custom calibration you can set the fans to run more often and at full effort, which will help keep the creep slower, but make no mistake, if you sit still, the CHT's are going to slowly climb. Should come back down quicker once you get moving and stabilize.

Remember, even though you upgraded the engine coolant system, you also added a giant heat exchanger in front of it as well.
I'm sitting at a stop light and watching the temps climb. From 206 up to 217 just sitting at a light.
I've never seen this before and it's not even 70 degrees out.
Whipple sets the second fan at 223 that seems high to me. I guess if 212 is operating temps I'll get him to lower the second fan a bit. Do you know what a good temp would be to set the second one at?
Thx

Pistol_91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
I wouldn't worry about it. Big heat pump sitting on the engine idling without airflow coming through the RAD.
Exactly this. Look at your IATs in the pic. 160. Surprised your head temp isnt 350 degrees. Lol 160 is crazy this time of the year.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'm sitting at a stop light and watching the temps climb. From 206 up to 217 just sitting at a light.
Whipple sets the second fan at 223 that seems high to me. I guess if 212 is operating temps I'll get him to lower the second fan a bit. Do you know what a good temp would be to set the second one at?
Thx
Can you verify the low speed is running at all before it hits 223? I feel like it should be.

Also the IAT is really high, but idk where it's measured on the Whipple setup. If it's pre heat exchanger it doesn't matter that much.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I didn't notice the IAT. You need to check the heat exchanger system to ensure it's free from all voids and what not. You shouldn't be seeing those high of IAT2, especially if you're bypass is working properly. Check that the bypass is properly working and check the intercooler system to ensure it's burped.

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Thx
Same stuff with my roush sc - stop and go traffic it goes to 103 C at which point the fans kick in and it cools down. I have substantial cooling mods and when the car is moving, it's hard to get it to go over 85 C, but in stop and go situation there is no airflow. If you think about it, coolant temp is 5-7 degrees C below CHT, so you have nothing to worry about with 103-104C CHT.

OP
OP
Daryl333

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I didn't notice the IAT. You need to check the heat exchanger system to ensure it's free from all voids and what not. You shouldn't be seeing those high of IAT2, especially if you're bypass is working properly. Check that the bypass is properly working and check the intercooler system to ensure it's burped.
He just switched from the Aftermarket pigtail ti the Whipple pigtail I wonder if that's not functioning properly? As far I know he didn't touch anything else when he tuned it.
But okay I'll take it in to another shop tomorrow to get it gone over. Tuners are very rare here at least for Whipple Coyotes and he's over 2 hours away.

OP
OP
Daryl333

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Can you verify the low speed is running at all before it hits 223? I feel like it should be.

Also the IAT is really high, but idk where it's measured on the Whipple setup. If it's pre heat exchanger it doesn't matter that much.
Good call I just let it idle for about 7 mins temps just continued to climb to 207. Then I turned if off. Low speed fan never came on once. There is an IAT2 Sensor on the manifold if that's what you meant. Pic

20240317_174327.jpg

20240317_173340.jpg

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Good call I just let it idle for about 7 mins temps just continued to climb to 207. Then I turned if off. Low speed fan never came on once. There is an IAT2 Sensor on the manifold if that's what you meant. Pic

20240317_174327.jpg
I think the issue here is probably a tuning error. He may have forgotten to set the low speed fan to come on at 190, so you get no fans at all until high comes on at 223. Which isn't necessarily a huge issue or anything, but it's sub optimal. On a stock NA car the low speed doesn't come on until around 212 coolant temp, so it's not too far off the stock behavior.

So it's fine, but personally I'd want to run a whippled car cooler in general to give yourself more margin to play before heat soak sets in.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
IAT2 at 107 sitting still is fine. Nothing to worry about. In 100degree heat, you'll see it get up to 130 sometimes while sitting still.
Sponsored