Sponsored

New Shelby GT350 Mustang Revealed! 5.2L Flat Plane Crank V8, 500+HP / 400 LB-FT

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350, '65 Mustang Coupe
I doubt very many of these will see real competition like in American Iron, World Challenge, or the Continental Tire Series. There are too many changes that have to be made and most of the unique stuff would have to come off. This car is a fast street car that will be a blast on the track and could do really well in NASA or SCCA TT (Time Trials). Someone could run in an Unlimited class but unless you are a rich fanatic there are cheaper, easier ways to go fast in competition.
Almost nothing on the car is legal in my series so why not start with a cheaper car.

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
so what, all race teams will need to modify their car to conform, roll cages, removal of license plate brackets, race seat (no need for memory options), get rid of the subwoofer, upgrade brake fluids, pads, maybe change sizes, new wheels, tires, put fancy stickers on it, remove seats, remove carpet, etc. etc. so i guess they can probably bolt in some standard shocks

the real question is does the car stay somewhat true to its origins on the race track or is it only the shape they have in common.
Because why spend all that money on MRC just to unbolt them and put something else on. Thus, it's better as an option. So you can spend that money on all those extra bits you reference instead of parts you can't use.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Understood but, I was referring specifically to the article linked.
Understood but thinking the article may have not been clear on it being optional. It did list it as a technology coming, of course, which is great.

However it's bundled, hopefully it will be reasonable in cost.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
MagneRide is a must have option to get on the GT350. I have this option on both my C7 (Mag Ride) and Porsche (equivalent to PASM)... so when you go from Touring or Comfort to Sport or Track mode, it's like night & day...Jekyll & Hyde. It's always working seamlessly to achieve the best balance, damping, and handling. Worth it, IMO.
I agree with you.

Sponsored

Fenderaddict2

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fastmyles.com
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang Boss 302
I like how I'm like the 3rd dude on here with a boss, who's planning on gettin this car lol

Where else would we go next? Porsche GT3? Not enough seats. Let's just hope the sudden glut of Boss Mustangs hitting the market doesn't kill our resale value which has held up pretty good so far.

speedrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
I think Ford hit a home run with the GT350! Look at the technology they are bringing to the platform, FPC Voodoo engine which is about 90% all new from the Coyote 5.0 and required tremendous R&D to pull off for us. More than 500 HP without forced induction, new Mag suspension, updated brakes, lightweight transmission, significant body changes, upgraded Recaro seats, etc. Great balance of street performance (vast majority of users) and track abilities. They also targeted to keep it affordable, we shall see. Look at the 4 targeted vehicles and see how affordable they are?

Keep in mind they are not putting "everything" into the GT350 base car, this is a platform for new offerings for even more specific uses.

Expect to see a GT350R shortly which will move the target more to the track side while still be a streetable car, CC brakes, more HP, suspension changes, new wheel/tire combo, etc.

Expect to see a GT350S for track use only

Expect to see a GT500 for the high HP, sudden acceleration crowd. This will be something to watch as it will be the Mustang halo vehicle.

The new GT350 introduction is significant - if you didn't get everything you wanted, stand by. From a business standpoint, Ford needed to deliver a very capable platform but keep some things in reserve to intro later - they could have come out with 36 colors but what do they do in 2016, 2017, etc. Look for new colors, trims, and special packages as the evolution continues.

It is a good time to be a Ford fan!

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I think Ford hit a home run with the GT350! Look at the technology they are bringing to the platform, FPC Voodoo engine which is about 90% all new from the Coyote 5.0 and required tremendous R&D to pull off for us. More than 500 HP without forced induction, new Mag suspension, updated brakes, lightweight transmission, significant body changes, upgraded Recaro seats, etc. Great balance of street performance (vast majority of users) and track abilities. They also targeted to keep it affordable, we shall see. Look at the 4 targeted vehicles and see how affordable they are?

Keep in mind they are not putting "everything" into the GT350 base car, this is a platform for new offerings for even more specific uses.

Expect to see a GT350R shortly which will move the target more to the track side while still be a streetable car, CC brakes, more HP, suspension changes, new wheel/tire combo, etc.

Expect to see a GT350S for track use only

Expect to see a GT500 for the high HP, sudden acceleration crowd. This will be something to watch as it will be the Mustang halo vehicle.

The new GT350 introduction is significant - if you didn't get everything you wanted, stand by. From a business standpoint, Ford needed to deliver a very capable platform but keep some things in reserve to intro later - they could have come out with 36 colors but what do they do in 2016, 2017, etc. Look for new colors, trims, and special packages as the evolution continues.

It is a good time to be a Ford fan!
Can't argue with any of that :thumbsup:

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Sponsored

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
Uhhhhhh... Speedo goes up to 200mph. Sorry, I just noticed...

I was always staring at the 8200 red-line before.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
[ame]

FPC FTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
435i
Nothing new here but a well written, favorable article on the GT350

http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/12/01/gt350-shelby-throws-left-hook-m4/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice find. The BMW community is raving about this car and new gen M3/4 owners will admit the 350 will outperform it in every measurable performance stat before this car is even driven by the press.

If this article's hp and weight predictions are right, I think it's an easy 11 sec car.
Sponsored