New EPA regs coming phaseout gas engines

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
BEV's cannot work here without massive increases in power plants.

As far as elections, if you want the same things, vote for the same people. If you want things different, vote for different people.
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
That's probably the only way EVs don't take over is if they never sell well. Corporations have a lot of control over policy, I believe.
I agree, they have extremely powerful lobbies. They don’t always get exactly what they want but they influence enough that they get most of what they want.

EV’s are fine in general and can have a place in the auto world. But we’re a large country with a lot of rural areas and areas that are not built out where EV is not practical. Then throw in vacationers that drive vs fly. Again, not practical as EV’s and their charging capabilities currently stand. And then you have the infrastructure which can’t handle a major increase in EV charging and the costs it will take to increase capacity.

And that’s not even getting into the environmental ramifications of increasing electricity production and the mining of lithium and other materials needed for batteries. If the govt wants to get off oil, find different fuel cell alternatives that can be refilled similar to gasoline and use existing infrastructure.

Ok, off my soapbox now

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Sadly, this is among other decrees by alphabet agencies with the intent ( ill-conceived in my opinion) to do away with fossil fuel using equipment soonest. We can dance around a bit but the intent is clear enough.
There is a city in california that has or will soon pass a law banning new gas stations.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
I’m guessing there was some heavy lobby from the auto manufacturers, given that EV sales are slowing and it’s costing them LOTS of money. Not to mention potential employment losses
Hello; such has in fact happened according to a news report I heard today. Some relaxation of requirements.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
EV’s are fine in general and can have a place in the auto world.
Hello; While I can agree EV's can have a place in the auto world, I do not see them as fine in general. EV's fit well for a limited number of people and in limited circumstances. Folks who have a stand alone home with property can have a home EV charger assuming they can afford the expense. Ev's can work well for short commutes. Long commutes are questionable due to issues which sap range away such as cold.
EV's will not do well for folks who haul or tow a load except for short distances.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
As far as elections, if you want the same things, vote for the same people. If you want things different, vote for different people.
IMO, it’s time for NEW choices. That applies to both sides. It’s tough to get different things when the choices are the same.

But in general I agree with your comment.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Hello; While I can agree EV's can have a place in the auto world, I do not see them as fine in general. EV's fit well for a limited number of people and in limited circumstances. Folks who have a stand alone home with property can have a home EV charger assuming they can afford the expense. Ev's can work well for short commutes. Long commutes are questionable due to issues which sap range away such as cold.
EV's will not do well for folks who haul or tow a load except for short distances.
My in general comment was more along the lines of they’re fine and can stick around for those that want them. I agree, they’re fine for short commutes, city driving, etc. Range, towing and infrastructure are major issues though

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
China is leading the way in BEV adoption. Not surprisingly they also are leading the way in the building of coal fired power plants.

https://energyandcleanair.org/publi...nues-as-more-provinces-jump-on-the-bandwagon/
Hello; First paragraph of the link.
"Coal power continues to expand in China, despite the government’s pledges and goals. In the first half of 2023, construction was started on 37 gigawatts (GW) of new coal power capacity, 52 GW was permitted, while 41 GW of new projects were announced and 8 GW of previously shelved projects were revived. Of the permitted projects, 10 GW of capacity has already moved to construction."

Edit- and yet a few who stalk this forum champion China as a shinning light on the hill when it comes to green energy and EV adoption. China has in a real sense become one of the global bases for EV + solar + wind manufacturing while at the same time ever increasing their pollution outputs.
Yet we in the west are vilified if we want to keep much cleaner transport and power generation system of proven reliability.

Last edited:

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes this will land in court. I haven't read the rule yet, but if the EPA is flouting the SC which has at least twice told them they have no power to regulate CO2 then any edicts are null and void.

Ultimately this can be settled only by Congress even though they have deliberately shirked their duty for decades. While the prez can of course fire everyone and erase the agency as a going concern, the reps are the problem and the solution. And Congress can only be reformed by the fools who keep voting these useless wankers in their seats.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
click bait.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
While the prez can of course fire everyone and erase the agency as a going concern, the reps are the problem and the solution.
Unfortunately this is not true.

I'd love to be able to discuss it but suffice it to say the courts would block any attempt to disband or fire these departments.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
China is leading the way in BEV adoption. Not surprisingly they also are leading the way in the building of coal fired power plants.

https://energyandcleanair.org/publi...nues-as-more-provinces-jump-on-the-bandwagon/
They (China) burn the coal that allows them to make synthetic graphite. Globally, natural deposits of mineable graphite is rare.
Synthetic graphite is the key to battery anode production.
Syn-graphite and China’s unabated coal use is the dirty secret not many talk about.
It’s no accident China is the world’s largest EV battery producer and consumer of coal.

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
click bait.
No, the result wanted by the green's is a total ban on ICE cars and trucks.

EDIT, A Canadian saw this coming back in the 1980's. Neil Peart. Red Barchetta. Rush
Sponsored