Nascar Talk

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I was a fan from the late 60's into the 90's then they got the cookie cutter cars that drive like go karts. Back in the day the cars were high enough off the ground they got some air under them and the drivers had to drive the car.

I heard all the bitching from the drivers after the last Bristol race because they had to save their tires. I guess GY brought a wrong compound and unless the drivers took care of them they wore out quick. Most reviews of the race said it was the best race in years.

I say get some air under them and make the cars hard to drive then watch good racing.

Are you listening NASCAR?

Need real drivers instead of corporate poster boys.

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Who remembers the 1985 Talladega 500? Bill Elliot developed an oil leak and ended up 2 laps down after repairs were made. He lapped the field twice and won the race. He was running 205mph while everyone else was runningn 195-200. That's why we have restrictor plates now.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
I've been watching since the days Wide World of Sports was the only TV coverage we got. Awesome Bill was my guy, don't have a favorite any more. But I do route against anyone driving for Hendrick. That whole felony charge pardon sits wrong with me.

I've only been to one race which was the July Talladega race in 1991. I really should get to another one since they have so many more on the west coast it's not that far away anymore. For years we used to go to Evergreen speedway in Washington State to watch the Motorcraft 500 which was held on an off weekend for cup so many cup drivers ran the race. I met Bill Elliott a few times, met Davey Allison the weekend before his fatal crash, and was there the day Ken Schrader cut his thumb off.

Sponsored

jpalmerino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus, 2017 AG GT350
Not necessarily a huge fan of one person or the other with my enjoyment for NASCAR only seeing a resurgence recently (my dad was a huge Bobby Labonte fan), but I hope the Netflix special reaches my younger generation just like some of their others did.

It was nice to see Nascar get a special (even if it was multiple seasons after F1) before/at the same time as some of the other major US sports like NFL and PGA. The MLB/NBA (I think) doesnā€™t even have one so hopefully that says something positive about where Nascar popularity is headed

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Who remembers the 1985 Talladega 500? Bill Elliot developed an oil leak and ended up 2 laps down after repairs were made.
He had a very illegal car. it was 7/8ths scale. This race not only brought on restrictor plates but it also brought body checking templets.

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
He had a very illegal car. it was 7/8ths scale. This race not only brought on restrictor plates but it also brought body checking templets.
Never heard that one before. Got a link to the info about it?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Mags1, you like NASCAR too! Cool man!
Iā€™d have to pack heat goi g to the Chicago race! šŸ˜
LOL same here, I wouldnā€™t go down there without it šŸ¤£.

Indianapolis is a cool track, did the track tour a few different times. Never been there for a race though. I have a few friends that go to Talladega every year. Supposedly itā€™s quite the experience.

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I found some info about . It was a rumor cooked up by Darrell Waltrip and Junior Johnson but never verified. So just a conspiracy theory from sore losers.

Sponsored

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
Bobby Allison is the reason for restrictor plates. They were put in after this crash

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Bobby Allison is the reason for restrictor plates. They were put in after this crash
NASCAR was already talking about ways to slow the cars down in 1985. That crash might have been the catalyst but it was already in discussion before that.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Not much about it. It may not have been a true 7/8ths but it was massaged very cleverly. Once NASCAR figured it out Bill was no longer dominate.

I think there will never be a true account of this car due to the records that would have to be reversed. Wins disallowed, money returned ect...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've seen Joey Logano in some stuff and he seemed likeable.

I don't watch NASCAR. I like in theory how things used to be when the cars were actually STOCK CARS. Someone would come out with the Talledega or the Superbird and win everything. Or someone would build a new engine and win everything (no restrictors). I guess that makes races less exciting, but I don't love it when all the cars seem the same.

I'd love to see the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger run vs. each other. And Toyota could bring their sporty Camry to the mix LOL.

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Not much about it. It may not have been a true 7/8ths but it was massaged very cleverly. Once NASCAR figured it out Bill was no longer dominate.

I think there will never be a true account of this car due to the records that would have to be reversed. Wins disallowed, money returned ect...
Every team pushes the rules to the limits, especially back then. You've heard the phrase "If you aren't cheating, you're not trying"?
Sponsored