tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
That was Smokey or Harry Hyde.

"If you ain't cheatin' you ain't winnin' "
I'd always heard it the other way and never knew the original source. Never the less, the sentiment is the same.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
There are several like it, mostly from winners.

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I was a mustang guy back in the 80's when nobody else was. One day ( 1985 I think ) I was outside working on my 69 Mustang and my friend said " you need to come watch the race, this Elliot guy just lapped the field under green"..Was cool to first see a fast 351Cleveland and second see his making the other GM guys look bad. Became a Elliot fan and then mark martin.
I was always a NHRA fan and loved watching Glidden until NHRA decided to make GM win.

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
LOL same here, I wouldn’t go down there without it 🤣.

Indianapolis is a cool track, did the track tour a few different times. Never been there for a race though. I have a few friends that go to Talladega every year. Supposedly it’s quite the experience.
Indy track was so cool, ton of history.
We parked and tailgates in somebodies driveway that was across fro the stands.
Let us use the bathroom and everything,lol

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
That was Smokey or Harry Hyde.

"If you ain't cheatin' you ain't winnin' "
I heard Richard Petty answer the question is Bill was cheating in the mid 80's when he was so fast..Richard said something like " He was probably the only legal car running, they went through it after every race"

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
" He was probably the only legal car running, they went through it after every race"
The body templets got a lot tighter and there were more of them, then Bill slowed down.

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The body templets got a lot tighter and there were more of them, then Bill slowed down.
Now that you mention it, I do remember NASCAR tightening down on the templates back in the mid-to-late 80s. The T-birds had such an aero advantage over the GM products that I'm sure GM wanted to be sure they didn't get any more advantage by tweaking the body lines.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
I was a huge NASCAR fan until the mid 80s when they went from the win on sunday to sell on monday door slammers to the tube chassis sheet metal bodied cars of today. Then when Toyota was allowed to race I really turned away. Toyota is not a North American Stock car period.

I was at the 71 daytona firecracker 400 when everyone came in to pit with 15 laps to go and Pettys crew left the lug nuts on his left rear tire loose, so he had to come back in to get it changed and the lugs tightened properly. He was a lap and half down when he got back on the track, we were right in the entrance to turn 3 off the back straight and he would be foot thru the floorboard down the backstraight with the announcer shouting over the loudspeaker his speeds of 215,220, 225, 230, 235 and you could hear him at WOT open right up till he got to turn 3 and would let off the gas and flick the car into a power slide with his foot right back on the floorboard with the car sideways and smoke rolling off the rear tires all the way thru turn 3 and 4 for the last 5 or 6 laps and passed everyone to win the race. He had been playing with all the big names like pearson, Yarborough, etc the whole race letting them lead a few laps then just pull up and blow right past them for the lead. That was real NASCAR racing at its best, no restrictor plates and he who had the most HP won the races.

Another gripe is up until the last few years they never raced in the rain, when they could put on rain tires and still race. Heck IMSA endurance and world endurance and F1 race in the rain and even motorcycles race in the rain on 2 wheels.

NASCAR is nothing but a glorified demolition derby IMO anymore these days.

I am for turn right and left, speed up/slow down and races in all-weather conditions for 2.45, 6, 12, 24 hours. And have finishes after 24 hours of racing at less than seconds apart as well as several different classes of cars racing at the same time.

NASCAR is for sissies IMO in today world.

BD

Sponsored

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
Presently, Ryan Blaney.
Was Carl Edwards.
Was Mark Martin for 20 yrs!!!! Go Roush!

I now go camping at Watkins Glen for the weekend with a half dozen guys who've done it for 30+ yrs. Great place to see a race.

Dover one. Nice.
Pocono once, not so great.
I did the stock car rental on our honeymoon at Pocono. 12 laps in the Corolla drying the track and 8 in a stock car. It is as close to racing as I will ever get. We were big on Nascar until the losses of Kenny Irwin and Adam Petty put restrictor plates in a lot of races. The last cup race we went to was in New Hampshire and Jeff Burton went wire to wire for the win.
I have probably a hundred races on vhs somewhere from the 80s up until 2004.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
Back in the 60's and 70's it was a totally different animal........NASCAR has been sterilized in recent years IMHO!!

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
Unfortunately, Ford is prolly gonna be 0-6 after today...

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
All the NASCAR OG’s are great.
Restrictor plates only slowed them for a short bit then came real Winston Racing engine air flow advancements and screaming high RPM’s. 900 HP 9,000+ rpm 2v endurance motors…… what an era !

Last edited: