Sponsored

Mustang Quality

DC15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Mustang GT
I would be interested to hear comments on the build quality of the Mustang GT350/R. How it compares to the previous Mustangs GT's 2011-2014 and Mustang GT 2015-16. Anyone own or experience all 3?

I am moving from a 12 Mustang GT Prem Convert (FRPP tune, FRPP suspension, GT500 Mufflers) to 17 GT350 or maybe an R (supposed to hear this week). I enjoy the 5.0 a lot, great sound and raw power, just a fun car, but it is a love/hate relationship for sure, definitely unrefined, which is part of the 'charm' with manual adjustable shocks, solid rear axle, etc... however, one thing that bothers me is every time you shut the door, you get that cheap car clank, does that still happen on GT350?

I am not expecting Porsche quality, but I hope Ford as taken it up a couple of notches from my 2012 pony, thanks.
Sponsored

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Honestly the quality isn't the greatest. I felt my 13 was built better, had way better paint, and the interior stood up better.....however, all of that is forgotten once you get behind the wheel and stomp on the gas in a tunnel.

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I would be interested to hear comments on the build quality of the Mustang GT350/R. How it compares to the previous Mustangs GT's 2011-2014 and Mustang GT 2015-16. Anyone own or experience all 3?

I am moving from a 12 Mustang GT Prem Convert (FRPP tune, FRPP suspension, GT500 Mufflers) to 17 GT350 or maybe an R (supposed to hear this week). I enjoy the 5.0 a lot, great sound and raw power, just a fun car, but it is a love/hate relationship for sure, definitely unrefined, which is part of the 'charm' with manual adjustable shocks, solid rear axle, etc... however, one thing that bothers me is every time you shut the door, you get that cheap car clank, does that still happen on GT350?

I am not expecting Porsche quality, but I hope Ford as taken it up a couple of notches from my 2012 pony, thanks.
That noise when you close the door is probably more to do with it being a convertible, than anything.

partyelmarty

What's it trap?
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Magnetic Metallic
You must have never driven a New Edge, SN-95, or a first generation Mustang if you think the S197 is "definitely unrefine." They are far from perfect but the S197 is solid IMO. What other SLA muscle/sports car handles as well as a S197.

S550 has it's issues, but overall the quality is great. People need to take all the over exaggerated complaints they read on the Internet with a grain of salt. I have a 2015, and I've been really happy with it. Go drive one and form a opinion of your own, that's the only way to know if you will enjoy it or not.

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
You must have never driven a New Edge, SN-95, or a first generation Mustang if you think the S197 is "definitely unrefine." They are far from perfect but the S197 is solid IMO. What other SLA muscle/sports car handles as well as a S197.

S550 has it's issues, but overall the quality is great. People need to take all the over exaggerated complaints they read on the Internet with a grain of salt. I have a 2015, and I've been really happy with it. Go drive one and form a opinion of your own, that's the only way to know if you will enjoy it or not.
Every generation of car is going to be more refined than the one that came before it, but by modern car standards, the S197 is fairly unrefined. Yes, it goes and handles well, but in most cases, it is fairly rough around the edges. I like that, though. My 08 Bullitt isn't the most refined car, but I like that about it.

Sponsored

partyelmarty

What's it trap?
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Every generation of car is going to be more refined than the one that came before it, but by modern car standards, the S197 is fairly unrefined. Yes, it goes and handles well, but in most cases, it is fairly rough around the edges. I like that, though. My 08 Bullitt isn't the most refined car, but I like that about it.
Unrefined compared to a directly competing car? Fairly unrefined is a overstatement. It's a American Sports Car, not a luxury sports coupe.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I like unrefined too.. it's why I like my 14 gt500 so much. Feels great in my hands! I'm getting the 350R for a more unrefined feeling than the 350.

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Unrefined compared to a directly competing car? Fairly unrefined is a overstatement. It's a American Sports Car, not a luxury sports coupe.
Unrefined when looking at:
- The fact that it was still a live axle (Yes, Ford made it work as well as a Live axle possibly could, but there are still inherent flaws in the design. I live them every day in my Bullitt and I chock them up to the "charm" of the car. I've upgraded the suspension and tires to where it's not bad, but there are always going to be times when you can't drive the car as aggressively as you'd like because you know the live axle will bite you.
- Pretty much everything about the interior is crap. Yes, the 2011-14s were improved a bit, but they were still not particularly nice, especially when some Mustangs were $60K+. Obviously the Mustang isn't a luxury car and it isn't a European car, but at that price, it is going to be cross-shopped with them and when every piece of plastic is as hard as my head, that's off-putting. It's an aspect of my Mustang that I've just accepted, and I've considered doing some upgrades to make the cabin feel a bit more premium, but all-in-all, I've always felt the interiors were a major let-down on S197s.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
The paint issues may be isolated to certain colors, it would be interesting to conduct a poll on that.
Mostly this is subjective and depends on your expectations. As for my GT350 quality, I have found zero issues with the car and have yet to find anything not right. The quality is on par with my Lincoln LS, which is perfect.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP

I owned a 12 GT and a 15 GT. I will say this, new builds will always have to work out the production kinks. Please do not take for granted that s A197 platform was in production from 04-14, 10 YEARS! by the time I bought my 12, S197's have been in production for 8 years. You can not compare the 2 in my opinion, unless you compare build quality at the same period of production. Having said that, My paint and no car paint is perfect. I would give my paint a 9/10. Body panels 8/10, adjusted stops on hood and trunk, (15 GT had same issues)front and rear bumpers are slightly off but acceptable considering the amount of work it would take to readjust. Exterior trim/weather strips, 9/10, minor scuffs on various black pieces, good fitment. In comparison, my 15 GT exterior trim around the windows was not aligned properly and also had the scuffs in exactly the same locations. Interior, 9.5/10, the carpet is the only issue I had in regards to the interior. Down by the xmsn tunnel, I had to tuck the carpet under the arm rest console as it was sticking out quite a bit. Sill, the carpet in this area does not lay along the floor but is popped out a bit. All the interior panels however fit great in comparison to my 15 GT. My 15 GT had door panel issues on the covers behind the door mirrors. Mechanically, 9.5/10, if it was not for a loose line to the rear diff cooler this would be a perfect 10. So all in all, considering this is essentially the first year of full production for the 350 and only the second for the S550, I am very pleased with the finished product as a whole : )

OP
OP
DC15

DC15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Mustang GT
Thanks guys, I appreciate the brutal honesty about quality, I know it can be subjective and emotional :) If the GT350 quality is in-line with Lincoln's then I would say it is a step up from my 12. As soon as I can get to Chicago in a couple of weeks I am planning to look at them in person.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
What other SLA muscle/sports car handles as well as a S197.
Thats Simple, no other maufacturer has made a SLA Car in decades, the only thing to compare it to would be pickup trucks.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I have some mad squabbles with my '11 interior. I've been pretty disappointed with it but the '15's that I have test drove seem to be lightyears ahead.

partyelmarty

What's it trap?
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Thats Simple, no other maufacturer has made a SLA Car in decades, the only thing to compare it to would be pickup trucks.
And yet the "unrefined" S197 was handing ass whooping me to the "refined" IRS cars like the Camaro, Challenger. Hell, the S197 when tested against the M4 was only a second behind, which yes, a second is not a short gap, but that just shows how well the S197 can handle despite uneducated folks saying how outdated it was lol.
Sponsored