Modern Muscle that can turn - GT PP1 vs SS 1LE vs Scat

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Met up with two buddies today to cruise and shoot some pics. Comparison and my impressions and pics below but I’ll first say we are lucky to have lived through the second muscle car era!

The cars:
2022 GT PP1 manual, 2019 Charger Scatpack auto 392 handling package, 2021 Camaro 2SS 1LE auto. All cars are completely stock (with the exception of stock airbox mods.) All had brembos - all on summer rubber.

IMG_5381.jpeg

IMG_5384.jpeg

Straight line speed:
Here’s what most people care about. the Mustang pulled fairly hard on the scat from a 50 roll. I was actually really surprised how bad he got gapped. The Camaro was nowhere to be found (combo of heavy drag for the 1LE from the aero and really sticky tires is my guess - not surprising). From a dig the Scat beats the Mustang and below 40 the Camaro does too (man those autos shift fast). A ten speed mustang would be a different story probably. Overall they are very similar and fast for mid level muscle, but mustang takes 1st, charger a very close 2nd, Camaro 3rd.

handling:
On paper these cars should be fairly similar - all around the same msrp, V8, handling package equipped. All have big Brembos.
In reality, there was no contest. The Camaro had not only the most comfortable suspension but the most capable as well. The 1LE package is light years ahead of the PP1. The Camaro was unbelievably composed in every situation imaginable. michigan potholes hardly shook the car and you could floor the car coming out of a roundabout and barely chirp the tires. It hooks and books.

the GT is second, but not close. I love my car but I was blown away by the Camaro. I would be lying if I said I didn’t have some buyers remorse. My car is stiff, but lacks the grip of the Camaro and its composure over bumps. Additionally, under hard acceleration, the rear end jumps sideways slightly while the Camaro is glued to the pavement and accelerates perfectly straight. The plus for the Mustang is its brakes - not sure what car and driver was talking about when it said the Camaro had better brakes. The Mustang brembos are equal imo in pure braking power and have better feel and low speed modulation.

the scat, at 700 pounds heavier than both other cars, is a distant third. This is a big comfortable car and I have long thought it makes the best daily driver for around metro Detroit (I may be biased-my daily is an AWD hemi charger.) But handling wise it’s not close to the other two. It is a true muscle car whereas the Camaro and Mustang have moved into the sports segment. This car was wallowing all over the road compared to the other two and cooked its brakes, necessitating a 10 minute cool down, while my car and the Camaro’s brakes were cool to the touch when we stopped. The scat almost ate my bumper more than once on what I thought were fairly casual stops once its brakes heated up.

Driving impression/interior:

Driving all three back to back, my first thought is you really can’t go wrong. Just depends what you want.

The Mustang is my choice, balancing comfort with a great interior and top end speed. I love this car more and more as I drive it. The coyote sounds the best to me, the charger a very close 2nd and the Camaro 3rd (Camaro sounds like a truck motor to me, which it sort of is). I’ve always had a soft spot for small blocks, no matter how big they actually

The Camaro is a track beast and also pretty comfortable but the cabin is a coffin and I find the car ugly. The recaro seats are awesome for short drives (ford - figure out how to heat and cool them like Chevy does) but start to feel hard on longer drives.This is a fantastic car and truthfully, had I been able to find a manual version of this car, I probably would have bought it instead of the Mustang. The stang is a fun car for me after all and this car is pure fun, but I hate the interior and interface and I’d probably drive it less than I drive my Mustang because of this.

The charger, again, is probably the most practical daily of the three. best interior, great infotainment system and nav (don’t care what anyone says, uconnect is miles ahead of sync or the GM system). the handling package maybe turns it into a ski boat instead of a yacht, but it’s still a boat. Overall it’s a muscle car and a great looking one at that.

final thoughts:
Three great cars from the big 3, all excelling at their own thing. The Mustang balances between track terror and the boulevard brawler, which is why it’s the best selling of the three imo. What a great era this was, I’m truly sad to see the Camaro and Charger go.

God bless America and Detroit Muscle! 💪 🇺🇸

photo dump:
IMG_5385.jpeg

IMG_5383.jpeg

IMG_5382.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Good review! Thanks for posting.

I bought an LT1 Camaro last year (the cheapest V8 Camaro available). It has smaller brakes and none of the extra coolers that the 1LE or even the SS models have.

I would say the ride stiffness of the lowest V8 Camaro is similar to the GT350 or the Ford Performance track handling package I have on my 2017 PP1.

I understand that the 1LE has magneride standard, so it's possible the ride is softer than my LT1 with standard shocks. I have no idea, having never driven a 1LE 6th gen. I would assume it is stiffer than the LT1 - at least in sport/track modes. But the PP1 Mustang stock suspension is really, really soft by comparison to my LT1. To me, the PP1 Mustang is not set up for any kind of performance - other than maybe in a straight line. Maybe your 2022 is set up a lot different than my 2017 was from the factory.

But that's the way most Mustangs are set up. Ford decided that comfort was the most important thing to sell cars. And Ford definitely sold quite a few Mustangs.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really had to believe that A10 SS didn't beat up on the other two in a drag race.

No traction?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Ford decided that comfort was the most important thing to sell cars. And Ford definitely sold quite a few Mustangs.
I wonder if sales would have gone down in any material degree had they used Bilstein or the Fp track shocks as standard.

There was definitely a sku change between 17 and 21+. My 22 eco had base suspension and it wasn't great but it also wasn't cringe worthy.

I am looking at getting back into a Camaro after I sold the 1LE. I might pick up a FE4 car and put the almost new set of Multimatics (zle shocks) on it with a 6pot retrofit.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sms2022

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
Good review! Thanks for posting.

I bought an LT1 Camaro last year (the cheapest V8 Camaro available). It has smaller brakes and none of the extra coolers that the 1LE or even the SS models have.

I would say the ride stiffness of the lowest V8 Camaro is similar to the GT350 or the Ford Performance track handling package I have on my 2017 PP1.

I understand that the 1LE has magneride standard, so it's possible the ride is softer than my LT1 with standard shocks. I have no idea, having never driven a 1LE 6th gen. I would assume it is stiffer than the LT1 - at least in sport/track modes. But the PP1 Mustang stock suspension is really, really soft by comparison to my LT1. To me, the PP1 Mustang is not set up for any kind of performance - other than maybe in a straight line. Maybe your 2022 is set up a lot different than my 2017 was from the factory.

But that's the way most Mustangs are set up. Ford decided that comfort was the most important thing to sell cars. And Ford definitely sold quite a few Mustangs.
i agree. The 2022 PP1 suspension is fairly soft but probably firmer than I can use on the street. It’s like a “half” performance package mostly focused on marketing imo. it’s a nice ride for the street and highway but if id have paid $5000 for the option when the car was new I’d feel ripped off (I bought used). I have plans to put on the ford performance coil overs and the PP2 sway bars and bigger wheels and tires. It’s worth noting that the PP2 with magneride is nipping at the heels of the 1LE around the track from what I’ve seen.

the magneride on the 1LE is amazing. In comfort mode it glides over potholes. In track mode it is like the car is on rails. Ford - take notes.

OP
OP
sms2022

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
Really had to believe that A10 SS didn't beat up on the other two in a drag race.

No traction?
The SS did beat my stang in a drag race. It pulled on the charger off the line but the charger ate it up as they picked up speed. Traction wasn’t the issue. Watch drags on YouTube between the three cars, the results are similar. The cars are really close in acceleration. A 10 speed mustang would likely dust both barely.

keep in mind this wasn’t a regulated drag, just a rip on the street for an indeterminate distance.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The SS did beat my stang in a drag race. It pulled on the charger off the line but the charger ate it up as they picked up speed. Traction wasn’t the issue. Watch drags on YouTube between the three cars, the results are similar. The cars are really close in acceleration. A 10 speed mustang would likely dust both barely.

keep in mind this wasn’t a regulated drag, just a rip on the street for an indeterminate distance.
in almost all the tests I've seen (magazine, popular YouTube channels...) the A10 Mustang and Camaro are basically even, the Challenger is slower than both, and the Charger is another couple ticks behind the Challenger. The 1320 edition is the only one that seems to consistently post numbers equal to the the Camaro/Mustang. Matches my experiences on the street as well.

https://www.motor1.com/news/695555/chevrolet-camaro-ford-mustang-dark-horse-drag-race/amp/

OP
OP
sms2022

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
in almost all the tests I've seen (magazine, popular YouTube channels...) the A10 Mustang and Camaro are basically even, the Challenger is slower than both, and the Charger is another couple ticks behind the Challenger. The 1320 edition is the only one that seems to consistently post numbers equal to the the Camaro/Mustang. Matches my experiences on the street as well.

https://www.motor1.com/news/695555/chevrolet-camaro-ford-mustang-dark-horse-drag-race/amp/
Again, that’s a normal Camaro SS not a 1LE with monster front tires (drag) and downforce (drag). And it’s a quarter mile run. Ours was probably closer to a half mile run.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah the SS 1LE is a good chassis and ediff. I’ve driven one and it has some tricks for sure.

Unfortunately, it still looks like a Camaro, sooo pass.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
sms2022

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
I didn't realize they sold a handling pack charger that wasn't a wide body....also I don't consider those 3 cars to be equivalent. Sort of apples, horses, and fence post.
Agree after comparing them - but the 1LE was the competitor to the PP1 at first before the PP2. Charger is odd man out but to someone just looking for a fast, cool car they are competitors and around the same price. Worth noting that the two guys with the charger and Camaro both cross shopped both other cars.

also I’m not motortrend or a YouTuber, just a guy with a mustang and a couple buddies with cool cars wanting to do a comparison between muscle cars you might run into on the street. Lol.

OP
OP
sms2022

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
Does the aero even matter much at 1/4 mile speeds? It's not going to take 6mph off the trap speed

Same speed as the Mustang when motortrend tested it and C&D went 1 mph faster with a manual

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/...d-mustang-gt-performance-pack-comparison/amp/
Don’t know what to tell you bro. It was a run between real, used cars on the streets that they prowl in real life. Both cars were hot from cruising. These weren’t new magazine cars run in perfect conditions. I’d imagine the sticky tires on the front of the Camaro 1LE had quite the effect and, again, it wasn’t a quarter mile run.
Sponsored