Sponsored

MAPerformance Bolt-On Turbo Kit - 500whp Proven!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
I thought you understood, when not in boost, mpgs don't suffer. Hence the whole 'eco-boost' nomenclature. No contradictions here, sorry.

Maybe you should spend a bit more time w/ a thermo and fundamentals of engine design textbook? A NA V8 is not a turbo 4.

"It is vain to do with more what can be done with fewer." William of Ockham
I'm not going to bother with this anymore.

You can't claim equal performance to v8 then say better fuel economy out of boost. That is a complete straw man argument, and not worth my time to continue.

*outtie*
Sponsored

redhot91gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 BMW M Coupe

You can't claim equal performance to v8 then say better fuel economy out of boost. That is a complete straw man argument, and not worth my time to continue.

*outtie*
Sure you can!

Can cars with cylinder deactivation not claim better mpg's all while claiming higher power output?

For most people that daily drive these vehicles they can reap the benefits of great mpg's daily. This really isn't possible for the GT and therefore its a major advantage for most people.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT

*outtie*
Ehh you kind of can. Staying off the throttle, out of serious boost, the car will act just like a typical 4 cylinder as you know and will get fuel economy as such. Since these larger turbos aren't spooling until later in the power band, that means that there are fewer PSI down low in the RPM range during a typical metro-highway drive cycle. Every PSI of boost that is applied, there must be a certain additional amount of fuel added to the mixture to maintain the AF ratio. Fewer PSI means that there can be less fuel used. So, in short: less boost during daily driving means less fuel which means better fuel economy.

However, as soon as this engine hits peak boost, this thing will gulp gas. One can argue the GT will have better fuel economy at WOT, but that argument is pretty much pointless. 4MPG vs 5MPG? Maybe?

AngelOreo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JimmyG
Vehicle(s)
2015 - Ecoboost Premium - 6mt - Deep Impact
I will be swapping turbo's today hopefully and getting back on the dyno, we thought the turbo was the restriction in making more power but I found some tables in the Cobb software that opened up some more room.
Sir. Are you suggesting the stock turbo might have some fight left in it, or are you refering to a different precision upgrade?

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
Sir. Are you suggesting the stock turbo might have some fight left in it, or are you refering to a different precision upgrade?
5858 vs 6466

Also, I'm putting this MPG discussion that is happening for whatever reason to rest. The car under load (boost) will continue to produce better MPWOT (Miles Per Wide Open Throttle, I coin this term now...) than the GT. As I stated in a previous post I after 30 miles I was getting 27.7mpg off boost, and 19.4 in boost heavily. I reset the dash, went 15 miles, reset it again, went 15 miles. GT's are getting 6-8mpg when just slightly aggressively driving.

Sponsored

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk

*outtie*
Straw man? Nothing like that actually...

Imagine driving a naturally aspirated car the top of the Rockies, little air, little fuel, little power (representing the EB out of boost). Now, when you floor it, it's like dropping into Death Valley...let off, back at the top of the Rockies. A NA v8 is like driving in Missouri all the time. We understand the pressure differentials and the different fueling req'd for each scenario.

Hope this analogy works...I'll admit I didn't think too hard about it.

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Because we are into our car (with its current setup) for less than a stock GT and we are making more power than a GT, while saving money everyday by NOT owning a GT. The Ecoboost holds a cheaper insurance rate, as well as the MPG that was just discussed. If you haven't browsed through the S550 GT sections yet you should look at the MPG that these guys are getting, 6mpg here, 8mpg there, highway driving less than 20. I could beat on my Yukon XL non stop and still produce better MPG than that.

On a more serious note we are not here to discuss MPG, we don't really care about it we are just trying to make excuses on why we bought an Ecoboost over the GT. The simple answer is, because we wanted to. I freight train 2011-2014 Bolt on GT's with our car, and will do the same to 2015+ GT's stock and bolt on. We had the 2015 GT in our shop here, on the dyno, and drove it on the street. First hand experience gives me the authority to claim our EBM is faster on the street. I can't make the claim of being faster at the track until we are able to make it out there. I hope we can do at our event the 19th-21st this month. http://www.maperformance.com/proving-grounds/when/

Here is a little sneak peak from my tuning session last night with our EBM and turbo kit.

I will be swapping turbo's today hopefully and getting back on the dyno, we thought the turbo was the restriction in making more power but I found some tables in the Cobb software that opened up some more room.

We are OFFICIALLY out of fuel, which is good timing because our fuel system upgrade will be ready for full testing in about a week.
Just want to add onto this, aside from the MPG that some of the GT guys are getting (i look around in the FI subsection every now and then), look at the issues they're having after adding a supercharger. sure they're making 500+ RWHP, but some are having idle stumbling issues, part throttle hesitation, rough idles, etc. Some guys are revising their tunes several times before its just right, and even then it requires more finessing. One tuner mentioned that the GT ECU is extremely complex, more so than the last generation, and most tuners can't get FI tunes to make a car run properly. Mind you, some of these guys are already $8k into an FI system, and their car isn't running properly. But hey, they're making over 500RWHP!

Yet, i haven't seen these problems with the EcoBoost. MAP hasn't reported issues like this, and neither has FFTec. Hell, some GT guys are having issues with NA tunes too.

Meanwhile, we have two turbo kits currently on the market for the EcoBoost, making good power, all the while being very affordable, and still getting excellent fuel mileage, and, (if you have a base EcoBoost), you're still well below the difference in price between a base GT and a base EcoBoost.

The aftermarket is exploding for the EcoBoost, and thats an awesome thing.

DanFish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT, 2015 Black Eco
Because we are into our car (with its current setup) for less than a stock GT and we are making more power than a GT, while saving money everyday by NOT owning a GT. The Ecoboost holds a cheaper insurance rate, as well as the MPG that was just discussed. If you haven't browsed through the S550 GT sections yet you should look at the MPG that these guys are getting, 6mpg here, 8mpg there, highway driving less than 20. I could beat on my Yukon XL non stop and still produce better MPG than that.

On a more serious note we are not here to discuss MPG, we don't really care about it we are just trying to make excuses on why we bought an Ecoboost over the GT. The simple answer is, because we wanted to. I freight train 2011-2014 Bolt on GT's with our car, and will do the same to 2015+ GT's stock and bolt on. We had the 2015 GT in our shop here, on the dyno, and drove it on the street. First hand experience gives me the authority to claim our EBM is faster on the street. I can't make the claim of being faster at the track until we are able to make it out there. I hope we can do at our event the 19th-21st this month. http://www.maperformance.com/proving-grounds/when/

Here is a little sneak peak from my tuning session last night with our EBM and turbo kit.

We are OFFICIALLY out of fuel, which is good timing because our fuel system upgrade will be ready for full testing in about a week.
Which turbo is this with?

Sponsored

AngelOreo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JimmyG
Vehicle(s)
2015 - Ecoboost Premium - 6mt - Deep Impact
Yup. He is reinstalling the 6466. I was also confused.

Sup3rPat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost PP Gaurd
Yup. He is reinstalling the 6466. I was also confused.
Imagine the PTE 6466 with the FFTec PnP 4Bar Tmap sensor! 35lbs of boost and POW 600whp!!!! :eyebulge:

Wishful thinking :p

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
5858 vs 6466

Also, I'm putting this MPG discussion that is happening for whatever reason to rest. The car under load (boost) will continue to produce better MPWOT (Miles Per Wide Open Throttle, I coin this term now...) than the GT. As I stated in a previous post I after 30 miles I was getting 27.7mpg off boost, and 19.4 in boost heavily. I reset the dash, went 15 miles, reset it again, went 15 miles. GT's are getting 6-8mpg when just slightly aggressively driving.
Looking to learn something today (serious). How is the EB able to produce more power with less fuel? If I have a fixed amount of energy per gallon of fuel in both cars, what would the AFR have to look like to make more power than a stock GT while getting double the fuel economy? Or am I misunderstanding this? Under heavy throttle, lots of idling, city driving, spirited jaunts, I got my average as low as 10.5MPG in my GT while it was stock. Can't even begin to imagine what kind of driver can manage 6-8.

Not trying to debate this. I just don't understand the math at play here.

bigspoondude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Scion xB
Looking to learn something today (serious). How is the EB able to produce more power with less fuel? If I have a fixed amount of energy per gallon of fuel in both cars, what would the AFR have to look like to make more power than a stock GT while getting double the fuel economy? Or am I misunderstanding this? Under heavy throttle, lots of idling, city driving, spirited jaunts, I got my average as low as 10.5MPG in my GT while it was stock. Can't even begin to imagine what kind of driver can manage 6-8.

Not trying to debate this. I just don't understand the math at play here.
Volumetric efficiency. Average NA engine has ~80-85% efficiency, whereas FI can exceed 100% efficiency. Yes the 5.0 puts out good numbers but it's not efficient at it. There's a much more detailed response with in-depth thermodynamics and physics to be had but I am just a humble grease monkey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volumetric_efficiency

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)