Sponsored

LTs w/o tune

aggieStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 1965 Mustang Coupe
Can LTs be installed without a tune with no ill effects? Im aware the gains wont be as much but im just weighing options since my mod funds are getting low and i cant afford both. I really dont want to miss out on the LT deals going around.
Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
more than likely get a CE light, but car should compensate with the wide bands, but a tune is always a good idea when you start modding like that

kooks green will have least chance at a light

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
If you have to do one or the other I would do the tune first. There will always be deals around with the vendors. Labor day sales, black friday sales etc. I personally wouldn't run a car with LTs and no tune.

OP
OP
aggieStang

aggieStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have to do one or the other I would do the tune first. There will always be deals around with the vendors. Labor day sales, black friday sales etc. I personally wouldn't run a car with LTs and no tune.
Im not going to tune until the warranty is gone, but if i get the headers now an NEED a tune then they will sit in the box til 36k miles.

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you weren't going to tune until warranty is gone then why were you looking at headers? The headers will void your warranty easier than a tune. At least with a tune they will have to look at your computer. Like you I am waiting to tune. I'll probably get a tune next year, let the engine run through it's cycles for at least 6 months to make sure nothing is wrong and then tune. I waited about 6 months plus with my 13 and never had a problem.

Sponsored

Nazgul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 15 GT PP
You might be able to run Lt headers without a tune if you get an o2 spacer. Don't quote me on that. But why do headers if your not gonna do the tune?

comagt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Im not going to tune until the warranty is gone, but if i get the headers now an NEED a tune then they will sit in the box til 36k miles.
Well 60k miles if you're worried about the engine warranty? :)

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Well 60k miles if you're worried about the engine warranty? :)

I'd rather spend that time trying to break the engine than leaving it stock the whole time. 60k miles would take me almost 10 years to reach at my current average yearly mileage.

OP
OP
aggieStang

aggieStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you weren't going to tune until warranty is gone then why were you looking at headers? The headers will void your warranty easier than a tune. At least with a tune they will have to look at your computer. Like you I am waiting to tune. I'll probably get a tune next year, let the engine run through it's cycles for at least 6 months to make sure nothing is wrong and then tune. I waited about 6 months plus with my 13 and never had a problem.
Cuz headers are reversible. A tune is not. And ya i guess 60 k mi is the powertrain warranty. Eh i guess its fast enough as it is. Ill just stick to visuals i guess.

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cuz headers are reversible. A tune is not. And ya i guess 60 k mi is the powertrain warranty. Eh i guess its fast enough as it is. Ill just stick to visuals i guess.
Yeah that's true, but who would want to go through the hassle of installing and re installing over again if you had an issue.

Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
A tune won't void your warranty and neither will headers. They may void certain parts of your warranty. It is not this cut and dry, but if it came to it, I'd rather lose my exhaust warranty than the engine warranty.

Technically, true. In practice if you are thinking you will take the headers off every time you bring the car in to the dealer, think again. That is a rough 6 hour job on the minimum. ~12 hours of work each time you bring the car in, no way.

Reds197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BASE (sold)16 LPF 62mm 16 Whipple 15 VMP MT-82
Tune is 100% the first performance mod. If you are unwilling to tune it I would save my money!

OP
OP
aggieStang

aggieStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I only take my car in for serious warranty work. So an afternoon to return to stock aint bad.

OP
OP
aggieStang

aggieStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tune is 100% the first performance mod. If you are unwilling to tune it I would save my money!
Eh not in my book. Tuning right off the bat is a waste unless it is a custom tune. Why custom tune if its only gonna take stock parts closer to their breaking point. Id rather tune to take full advantage of all of my upgraded parts.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I only take my car in for serious warranty work. So an afternoon to return to stock aint bad.
And another afternoon to put them back on. Many of the diy'ers on here said they would never do it again. Of course there is one guy who says it is no problem and will to come to your place and do it for $250...
Sponsored