BBB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium GT Poverty Snack
Could anyone post a pic of the oil temperature display? I've not got my Mustang yet - just curious.
too lazy to go in my car, the car cover is on it for the winter :D

there are two modes... one that looks like this

You can also click on oil temp and it'll bring up a different needle style gauge and when it's warmed up the needle will be in the green section of the guage
Sponsored

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
I always wait for oil to get up to temp before getting on it. And it's good to get the oil good and hot when you drive, that's when any moisture gets cooked off. So starting your car up cold, going down the block cold, and then turning it off isn't doing your engine any favors either.

I do the same for the trans fluid. The notchiness when cold 1-2 and 2-3 shifts is the bane of my existence. [emoji35] Going to be doing some research with Royal Purple on that soon. I don't want too get to thin of fluid to improve cold shifts that it doesn't offer equal protection when hot. I called their tech support directly when deciding what engine oil to run and they were very helpful. I will do the same for the trans.

NotBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT (Base)
Car actually does this automatically for me. In the manual GT launch control is not available until the oil is in the normal range so when I see the "LC" icon show up at the base of the display, I know the engine is up to temp. :)

Need 4 Steed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
[MENTION=16481]NotBlake[/MENTION]
I do the same with waiting for the LC to show up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
i let it idle for about 45 sec before moving, M1 synthetic should be circulating fine by then

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
I use the remote start so its always a few minutes before putting it in drive....

m6pwr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Pkg,Recaros
One of the reasons to let the oil warm up and get hot before demanding high rpms and max power is to get the oil to thin out some so it can circulate well and flow quickly and evenly to all the engine internals it needs to lubricate. This isn't that much of a problem with the Coyote's thinner 5w20 oil (actually, it's an advantage). Keep in mind though that the Coyote seems to have pretty tight clearances or spaces between all the rubbing and reciprocating parts - - that's how it gets such high oil pressure readings even when the oil is hot (it's the clearances that produce or dictate the oil pressure, not the oil pump). So hotter oil will give better flow between the tight clearances than the thicker cold oil, even when it's as relatively thin as the 5w20. So you try to drive with a little restraint, at least until the LC lamp lights up which is when the oil temp first gets into the green sector.

If you've ever been to a Formula 1 race, during the qualifying and practice days, you can hear the engines continuosly running off and on even while the cars are stationary for long periods in their pit up on their jacks. That's to keep the oil warmed up and at optimum temperature. The engines are hooked up to a lap top and as soon as the computer sees the oil temps falling to a predetermined level, it starts the engines. But they aren't left at idle (that can actually cool the oil down). The lap top keeps the engine at 10,000 to 11,000 rpms to keep things nice and hot. Then the driver can hop in, drive to pit out and drop the hammer - wind it out to 20,000+ rpms. At least that's how it was done back in the days of the howling 1000 hp V10's.

therealdannye

President of Capitol S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deadpool 5.0
I never wait for it to warm up. I just start driving and wait for it to warm up "while driving" until I start beating on it.
Honestly, after testing it when I leave work in the mornings, it heats up far faster by just driving it. It'll be good and toasty if I remote start and do other shit for 10-15 minutes, but driving time it's like 3-4 max.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Do people let their Mustang warm up before giving it the beans?

Do you tend to use the coolant temp display below the dial, or do you switch the screen to show oil temperature/pressure every time and go from there?
Don't go insane until the oil temp is well into the green zone.

Sponsored

Socalmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium w/PP Race Red
I always drive conservatively, until my oil temperature says normal.

Otherwise, if it's cold, my car will lurch if I shift normally, I have to hold the clutch for a bit longer when it's cold to negate that.

Crazy Horse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chief
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Race Red
Yep, always get her hot before slamming it.