Sponsored

Is it too early to start thinking about the MY17 mustang?

BCeagle08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT DIB PP 6MT Navi 401A.
When they released the 2010 Mustang there was very strong reason to believe that the 5.0 Coyote engine was coming, and soon. People who bought a 2010 had to expect that it was more likely than not that their car would be outdated within a year or two.

That's not the case right now. I don't see any replacement for the 5.0 on the near horizon. Not as strong rumors or suspicion as there was with the 5.0 Coyote in 2010.
Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Refresh 2018 , probable. I bought the 2010 GT , it was a refresh year with the 3 V still there. You are all talking 2017/18 for changes. I go even further . Ford no doubt is working on Gen 7 , say 2020/21. Usually 5-6 years from concept to production. Can we really talk about the 55 Th Anniversary now. Yes, we can. Will the V8 GT still be there? Will ecoboost V 6 eventually carry the muscle car flag ? :headbang:
I dont think anyone here is talking/expecting G7....we know that is MY '20...I think most of us expect something in '17 now that the Camaro is out and taking some of the publicity with all their upgrades to the G6 Camaro (weight, 8 speed, magnetic, etc)

I think it's the 10 speed coming in '17 as the major upgrade like Sync 3 was in the '16.

OP
OP

CJ4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base 6MT
I hadn't thought about it, but the ten speed is a pretty safe bet IMO. Maybe an all aluminum body, like the new F-150?

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
I would only expect sync 4 for 2017.
No because the Camero got Sync 8 so the Mustang needs to do something better. What was Ford thinking?

Sponsored

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
My vote is still for the 5.2L Voodoo engine !!! I think Ford will respond with this to shut Camaro down. I feel they are getting close to production??? IMO

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Can I quote my old thread again? It's over a year old now, but I was pretty close with my predictions for '16MY :p

What if all the goodies for the '18MY (see below) were introduced a year early on a '17MY Mach 1. This would be similar to the approach Ford took with the Bullitt in '09, giving the (small) mechanical tweaks that were then seen in the '10 refresh. Although I'm not sure quite how practical it would be on the production line, unless all the Mach 1s were produced at the same time.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10226

'16MY
GT350 introduced - 525hp from a FPC 5.2 V8 (also available as a GT350R with rear seat delete, carbon fibre wheels)

California Special introduced for the GT, with lightly revised front and rear fascias, new interior trim and unique 19" wheels.

PP available on the automatic GT!

'17MY
Mach 1 reintroduced - DI 5.0 with 475hp, 10-speed auto/paddle shifters, revised front and rear fascias, Premium Plus interior with full leather extending to doors and dash, 20" wheels and Perf Pack as standard.

'18MY
Complete styling refresh across the range - revised headlamps (LED turn signals now incorporated into the headlamp assembly) & tail lamps, revised grille/bumper/fascia.......more differences between Ecoboost, V6, GT. Revised interior with another bump up in quality & tech.

GT uses a 460hp/430lb ft version of the new DI 5.0 (10-speed now standard autobox across the range)

Mach 1 still uses a 475hp DI V8 with Perf Pack as standard (either 6sp manual or 10sp auto/paddle shifters) . Features revised front/rear fascias, and Premium Plus interior with full leather extending to doors and dash.

Ecoboost 4 now up to 325hp (new base trim available to appeal to rental fleet)

Ecoboost 6 - V6 changed to a 2.7 "Nano" Ecoboost V6 with 385hp (the V6 is no longer the entry level model)

GT350 continues with the new sheet metal changes, but sticks with the 525hp FPC Voodoo.

GT500 introduced with a 675hp supercharged version of the 5.2 Voodoo engine, but with a cross plane crank. Slight wider front and rear fenders and 20" wheels as standard. Features a similar Premium Plus interior as the Mach 1 with full leather extending to doors and dash. Available with either 6sp manual or 10sp auto/paddle shifters

Things that will likely be improved on?

Port Injection to Direct or PDI
Some of the EU GT's Weight Reduction (Some GT350 Weight savings too)
Output Increases
New Colors (Grabber Blue?)
MagnaRide option on the GT
10 Speed Auto
A possible Competition GT Package (resurrection of the 2005 Mustang GTR)

Although, the MSRP will likely increase so... If you buy now you would probably be very happy. If you wait to buy, you will probably be very happy... Either way you'll probably be very happy.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Can I quote my old thread again? It's over a year old now, but I was pretty close with my predictions for '16MY :p
Just admit you work for Ford TwinTurbo. :D

I do think a 3rd year minor refresh is possible...that's the year most car companies make minor cosmetic changes.

I hope the 10 speed is in there in the '17.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Just admit you work for Ford TwinTurbo. :D

I do think a 3rd year minor refresh is possible...that's the year most car companies make minor cosmetic changes.

I hope the 10 speed is in there in the '17.

Haha......work for Ford? I wish I did, Mr Spartan :ford:

I guess it's possible, but Ford have so many options they can choose from.

10-speed auto
DI (460hp?)
Magaride option
Sheet metal changes

All at once, or split over the '17/'18 model years?

I'd be gutted to wait for a '17, only to find out it perhaps get "just" the mechanical changes, then a bodywork refresh a year later.

Problem is (for us watchers), Ford could be testing all those mechanical changes right now, in non-camo'd cars, right under our noses!

Guess we just have to keep an ear to the ground and listen when those "in the know" on this forum give us a juicy bit of gossip :)

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Haha......work for Ford? I wish I did, Mr Spartan :ford:

I guess it's possible, but Ford have so many options they can choose from.

10-speed auto
DI (460hp?)
Magaride option
Sheet metal changes

All at once, or split over the '17/'18 model years?

I'd be gutted to wait for a '17, only to find out it perhaps get "just" the mechanical changes, then a bodywork refresh a year later.

Problem is (for us watchers), Ford could be testing all those mechanical changes right now, in non-camo'd cars, right under our noses!

Guess we just have to keep an ear to the ground and listen when those "in the know" on this forum give us a juicy bit of gossip :)
Im really waiting for the 10 speed since I'm getting an Auto (and hoping the PP comes out also). I pray that it's the '17 because if its not Im going to be pretty irked.

I mean they've been working on that 10 speed for years and years. It should be out by now.

Sponsored

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
I'm really surprised how many people want the 5.0 to get direct injection. Seeing how impatient people were when Procharger had to adjust to a change Ford made, I can't wait to see people waiting months for a solution on fueling a high HP build.

VTECSAUCE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB PP GT w/ RECARO's & ITR swapped '94 hatch
Y'all peeps forgetting the fact that Ford dropped a completely new power plant in the 2011 GT with the Coyote a YEAR after a major redesign. And then 2 years after that, they refreshed the design with some minor tweaks. The point is Ford is hard to predict.
They were also using that 4.6 for 15 years lol

OP
OP

CJ4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base 6MT
The body work stuff isn't a big deal to me as long as mechanically the cars are very similar or equal: if the MY17 has a stronger Coyote and a 10 speed, if they tweak the sheet metal I really won't care all that much.

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
so when do they put individual wheel electric motors in, like the le mans cars? oh 2019 thats it...

I love speculation and all the little things people think of. Though as someone looking to buy a 2016 i wish i knew what was definitely happening in 2017, but like most people say there is always something better around the corner. I guess i do the same with technology but its easier to swallow a new pc being slightly outdated as its much cheaper than a car purchase.

I also wonder (if they do a mach 1) if it will be a bigger production like a GT/CS or limited like the 2004 runs. I would love to have a mach 1 like my dad's '73 but who knows what will really happen.
Sponsored

Last edited: