Interior Trim?

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
I would like to replace or change my plastic dashboard trim by painting or other means. My questions come from the different trims I've seen in different interiors by model. My GT has gray plastic with a faux engine turned finish, my Dad's GT has a silver metallic finish. Somewhere I saw pieces that had a brushed finish that looks really nice - at least in photos.

I think the silver and the engine turned pieces look cheap.

Any ideas? Details or PNs for the brushed versions? Pics of what you've done to spruce up your plastic?

John
Sponsored

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure about paint but vinyl wrap seems to be the way to go, carbon fiber motif or something along those lines.

example : http://carwrapsupplier.com/

Terry

40calcobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ty gtpp, 04 cobra
Plastic? Ford says the dash trims are real aluminum. Which what trim car do you have op? I ok know the pp cars have a different trim look but its not plastic

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
i bought a sample of 3m's 1080 brushed aluminum vinyl looking to ditch the fake turned aluminum trim. It honestly looked like duct tape. didn't look anything like aluminum, so just order some samples first before buying an order.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
It is aluminum, but does have some sort of covering on it. I actually like my PP trim in my car.

Sponsored

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not real aluminum unfortunately. It's some sort of vinyl or graphic. I took the panels off to fix the squeak i had and they're plastic all the way through. It looks fine, but I wanted something that would accent the car a little differently.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
It's not real aluminum unfortunately. It's some sort of vinyl or graphic. I took the panels off to fix the squeak i had and they're plastic all the way through. It looks fine, but I wanted something that would accent the car a little differently.
I'm 90% if you peel that graphic off covering off, then it is. If you search the threads you'll see this has been discussed innumerable times and one of those threads has someone that pulled that plastic covering off for one reason or another.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm 90% if you peel that graphic off covering off, then it is. If you search the threads you'll see this has been discussed innumerable times and one of those threads has someone that pulled that plastic covering off for one reason or another.
You're right! I just popped this guy off and it looks like something about as thick as aluminum foil is wrapped around the plastic and a layer of something is on top of that. Possibly it's a layer of aluminum with a layer of the "turned" pattern on top overlaying it?

27418146120_103391707b.png

Last edited:

SBLee29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang V6 w/051a
I wrapped mine this weekend, not the best job, but just wanted to see what it'll look like. I'm might get it done professionally later. I'll post pics when I get home

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
You're right! I just popped this guy off and it looks like something about as thick as aluminum foil is wrapped around the plastic and a layer of something is on top of that. Possibly it's a layer of aluminum with a layer of the "turned" pattern on top overlaying it?

27418146120_103391707b.png
I think it's just enough to claim "Aluminum" :D

Sponsored

mhagerty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
I had all of my trim hydro dipped. Look into it, you can get pretty much any look or pattern you want. I went with the carbon fiber look and love it.

mhagerty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
I went with JLT and it was around $600 that included the four trim pieces, steering wheel trim and a piece I sent them for the center stack (including shopping back to me). Just as an FYI, I provided the parts.

Look for a post titled "I think I'm done" I took a few pics of the install. Reach out to Vinny at JLT, he can walk you through the process and options.
Sponsored