Sponsored

If it wasn't for the S550, what would you be looking at?

oyitsagreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Agree. It's also a much smaller, tossable car. S550's saddest part to me is its boaty width and sedan-like length. Oh well. Guess if I gain 200lbs I will use the full interior.

Definitely a ridiculously small car. I imagine it would be extremely fun if you came from a non sports car.

But you'll be missing that punch of power. I couldn't imagine not having some power in every day driving ...its gotten me out of some sticky situations, and into fun ones ;)

I've always felt my Mustang was pretty small. You've got a long hood and a large rear windshield with a short rear end. With the headrests folded down the view even overlaps with the rear view mirrors.

Now a charger... That is a true boat. I literally disliked every second I was in it. The interior felt like I was sitting in an over padded bathtub.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm quite glad that the Mustang isn't any bigger than it is - the S197 is nearly as large as the 1979 Chevy Malibu I had for many years and bigger/heavier than any car I've owned since the very early 1970's.

Actually, I'd like to have seen a couple inches or so come out of the wheelbase and overall length dimensions.

Norm

Voodoo1796

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
POS Scion
My current four new car realistic short list right now is the S550, the current Focus ST, a BMW 2er, and the Lexus IS. Maybe the Gene Coupe, but not likely.

If there wasn't a S550 coming out, it would just be replaced with the S197. Ever since the introduction of the 5.0 and the LCI in 2010/2011, I've fallen in love with the Mustang all over again.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I'd disagree. If you put anything wider or stickier than stock onto a GT86, it becomes no fun. I'm sure the tire size and power advantage will more than overcome the weight difference of the EB and for the price, you can't beat its performance, power, or fun.

I'm looking forward to seeing GT86 v EB comparisons, but I'd put my money on the EB for speed and fun factor, and ride quality and useability compared to the rough-riding 'economy' GT86.

Don't get me wrong, I really like them and they handle great, but they really do need more power and they aren't the most refined cars out there from a NVH standpoint.

Voodoo1796

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
POS Scion
Don't get me wrong, I really like them and they handle great, but they really do need more power and they aren't the most refined cars out there from a NVH standpoint.
A number of friends and I have driven the Toyobaru, and this has been our biggest complaint. I understand the car wasn't meant to be an M3 killer or what not...but for the price they are around here, they just don't put out enough power to make any sense. It would be fun to have as a weekend/track/autox toy, and as a second (or even third) car it would be fun. But for most of us, whatever car we get has to pull daily duty, and I don't drive a ton of twisty back roads to work. I do have a lot of big, open straights, however.

I don't actively dislike the FR-S/BR-Z, but I would like it much, much better at 23-24 than the 27-32 they are going for around these parts. That, or another 20-30hp.

Sponsored

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
My list of new (to me) car to buy later this year is pretty short.
New 2015 Mustang GT for approx. 35K.
Used 2010 or 2011 Cadillac CTS-V with that wicked supercharged V8 engine but a bit pricey at 40K.
Newer used Infiniti G37 for about 30K is my base line to compare the other two against since I presently drive a G35 coupe.

At the moment the Mustang is on top but that could change once I take a test drive.
The other two are known cars that I have driven and feel they are both outstanding.
It will all come down to how well Ford has matured the latest generation of Mustang and my preference for a showroom new car over a well maintained used car.

OP
OP
OppoLock

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
My list of new (to me) car to buy later this year is pretty short.
New 2015 Mustang GT for approx. 35K.
Used 2010 or 2011 Cadillac CTS-V with that wicked supercharged V8 engine but a bit pricey at 40K.
Newer used Infiniti G37 for about 30K is my base line to compare the other two against since I presently drive a G35 coupe.

At the moment the Mustang is on top but that could change once I take a test drive.
The other two are known cars that I have driven and feel they are both outstanding.
It will all come down to how well Ford has matured the latest generation of Mustang and my preference for a showroom new car over a well maintained used car.
I really wasn't a fan of the G37S I test drove back in '09. It felt heavy and the VQ engine didn't seem like it was up to the task (not enough torque and the NVH levels were at odds with the improved interior). Never got the feeling that the G37 was a worthy successor to the G35.

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
You are correct, and that is why it is my baseline to compare the Mustang against.
The Infiniti is more of a sporty mature car, sort of the opposite of a Subaru STI.
It does have all of the bells and whistles as well as already having IRS and is similar in size to the Mustang with outstanding build quality and comfort level but engine output is not high on their list.
If there was such a thing, the Infiniti would probably compare more directly to a fully loaded 6 cylinder because even the ecoboost 4 cylinder is probably going to outperform the 6 cylinder in the Infiniti in a race.

My big hope is that the Mustang GT outdoes my baseline Infiniti in every way and is clearly the better bang for the buck.
If that doesn't happen I will probably move up to the outstanding 550 HP Cadillac CTS-V rather than settling for the bottom end option.

Malikona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1
- 2013 Volkswagen GTI R (or wait till next year for 2015 version)
- Used Infiniti Q60/G37 Coupe
- BMW 2-series

But :ford: gave me a better option!! :D
Same list for me (minus the GTI) plus a used Audi S5.

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
You are correct, and that is why it is my baseline to compare the Mustang against.
The Infiniti is more of a sporty mature car, sort of the opposite of a Subaru STI.
It does have all of the bells and whistles as well as already having IRS and is similar in size to the Mustang with outstanding build quality and comfort level but engine output is not high on their list.
If there was such a thing, the Infiniti would probably compare more directly to a fully loaded 6 cylinder because even the ecoboost 4 cylinder is probably going to outperform the 6 cylinder in the Infiniti in a race.

My big hope is that the Mustang GT outdoes my baseline Infiniti in every way and is clearly the better bang for the buck.
If that doesn't happen I will probably move up to the outstanding 550 HP Cadillac CTS-V rather than settling for the bottom end option.
The, "V" is an amazing car. I'm kind of a fan of the new v-sport, which while not as fast, has gotten rave reviews from V drivers who have traded in their 550 hp beasts for a car that MANY feel is a better car overall. I would have a hard time getting a V anytime soon knowing that a vastly superior replacement was likely about a year away.

The V-sport is on my instead of perhaps list as it has luxury with substantial (though not OFF THE HOOK) HP and is a really nice car. That and the back seat that my 13 year old can actually fit in..

Sponsored

erne75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP
WRX but I'm really glad the Mustang is here...

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
So today I had some spare time and dropped by a Cadillac dealership to drive the cts v-sport performance. Sticker was 61ish and the interior was very very nice. I didn't have the opportunity to really get on it, but felt a bit of a rush on a very short straight.

I can't imagine not being happy with this car. That said, i will wait for the 2015 and likely the gt350 to see what i would be missing with a GROWN UP CAR.

docprego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium Magnetic/Ebony
For me it's either the C7 or S550. I've had my heart set on the Vette but I really need to see the Mustang in person to make a genuine comparison. At literally half the cost of the C7 and 96% of the horsepower it's a tough call between the two. Can't go wrong either way!

91z28350

Obsessed with Horse Power
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JAMES
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT500 - 837 RWHP AND COUNTING
Z06, GT500, 6th Gen Camaro ZL1 or Hellcat.
Sponsored