Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Man. These last few days have been extremely interesting.

So Friday I had to go to Baton Rouge to drop off my dog before I left for my trip to Cuba from Saturday - Tuesday. Had got a nail in the tire and needed a whole new set of tires (since I already had 3 patches in one tire and started getting some wire showing). Ended up getting a set of 325/30/19 and 305/30/19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. These tires are so nice! Contemplating on if I want to even put tire letters on them again.

Anyways, on my way back from Baton Rouge on Friday I lost 5th gear close to home. Parked the car and said I wouldn't drive it until I can go straight to Ford. My advisor mentioned that it'd be ok to drive since I probably just lost the syncros. I went to Best Buy and my car started vibrating like crazy, almost as if my transmission or something was about to just shoot out of the car or something. It did it even in neutral after I parked, so I had to turn the car off and get it towed.

I waited 3 hours for my tow truck driver to show up and after he arrived, he complained and whined about my car being too low for him, so he didn't want to be bothered with it. He ended up leaving. I had to call Ford roadside assistance again and get another driver out here. Waited an hour and a half for him and he was finally able to get the car towed to the dealership.

Once the car arrived to the dealership, they started it up just fine and wasn't able to reproduce the issue. Luckily, I had sent them dash cam footage of the issue occurring in Best Buy's parking lot, so that was perfect. They're going to be looking at the car today and Monday to see if they can try reproducing the issue and figure out what's going on.
Sponsored

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I'd bet on losing 5th being related to the trans being removed for clutch install... Sucks :(

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I'd bet on losing 5th being related to the trans being removed for clutch install... Sucks :(
Hmm, I didn't even think of that. Kind of learning this stuff as I go honestly. So they have to remove the transmission to install the clutch? Think the transmission may have just not been reinstalled properly?

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Does 5th gear engage properly, but just doesn't work? I seem to recall you have aftermarket shifter. That may be another variable.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Does 5th gear engage properly, but just doesn't work? I seem to recall you have aftermarket shifter. That may be another variable.
It doesn't work at all. It literally sounds like a crunch or a thump when shifting into 5th, and when releasing the clutch pedal, nothing happens. It's almost as if it doesn't catch or like shifting into neutral.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
The trans has to come out to replace a clutch, but I can't imagine any scenario when R&Ring a RWD manual trans that would affect 5th gear. It's not like the transmission itself has to come apart. In essence, to replace a clutch, you unbolt the trans and slide it rearward and free of the clutch, which is attached to the flywheel.

The shifter would be a possibility (out of adjustment?), otherwise something shit the bed inside the trans.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
The trans has to come out to replace a clutch, but I can't imagine any scenario when R&Ring a RWD manual trans that would affect 5th gear. It's not like the transmission itself has to come apart. In essence, to replace a clutch, you unbolt the trans and slide it rearward and free of the clutch, which is attached to the flywheel.

The shifter would be a possibility (out of adjustment?), otherwise something shit the bed inside the trans.
Gotcha. Yeah I'm not too sure how I feel about it being the shifter. Considering all of the other issues I've been having with the car, I almost feel like whatever else has been going on has contributed to 5th gear going out. The dealership just quickly mentioned over the phone that it may be the syncros, but he didn't have the car to diagnose it or anything. Just mentioned that it's not uncommon for 2nd or 5th gear to go out on these cars (mustangs in general, not specifically the GT350).

Last edited:

dkbluedevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Well guys, what a rough day. Started off with a nail in the tire (3rd or 4th nail this year), so I had to get that replaced. Turns out the inner parts of my front tires were showing wire (I'd never have saw that from the outside) so it must have been a bad factory alignment perhaps. Had to drop 2k on tires and other stuff (e.g. mount/balance, taxes, alignment, etc.)
I had this problem too on first set of tires. Started to look like time to replace the rears. Fully expected to make fronts last twice as long as rears, as outer to center of tread was half-life at worst. Only then started to inspect entire surface of treads to realize that inner tread was completely worn through. Ridiculous on factory alignment. Not sure yet if dealer's street-focused alignment for second set has improved on that.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Gotcha. Yeah I'm not too sure how I feel about it being the shifter. Considering all of the other issues I've been having with the car, I almost feel like whatever else has been going on has contributed to 5th gear going out. The dealership just quickly mentioned over the phone that it may be the syncros, but he didn't have the car to diagnose it or anything. Just mentioned that it's not uncommon for 2nd or 5th gear to go out on these cars.
What?! Is this really a thing w our 3160s??

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I had this problem too on first set of tires. Started to look like time to replace the rears. Fully expected to make fronts last twice as long as rears, as outer to center of tread was half-life at worst. Only then started to inspect entire surface of treads to realize that inner tread was completely worn through. Ridiculous on factory alignment. Not sure yet if dealer's street-focused alignment for second set has improved on that.
Same here man. My front tires were absolutely embarrassing. The guy put the car on a lift to take a look at the nail/staple that was in the rear tire. When he showed me the front tires, I was pretty embarrassed and in disbelief. I couldn't believe that the inner portion of the tires had wire that was COMPLETELY visible. From the outside of the car, the tires looked completely fine. I would have NEVER saw that if he didn't put it on a lift.

What?! Is this really a thing w our 3160s??
Sorry I should clarify, he just meant mustangs in general from his experience.

Sponsored

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
If they didn't follow the correct procedure to fill the trans after having it disconnected from the cooler it would be underfilled. That's kind of where I was going on that train of thought.

I'll be curious to hear what the issue turns out to be.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Dealership probably just said synchros as a generic response. I don't think synchros would suddenly fail.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
If they didn't follow the correct procedure to fill the trans after having it disconnected from the cooler it would be underfilled. That's kind of where I was going on that train of thought.

I'll be curious to hear what the issue turns out to be.
Gotcha. Agreed. Sounds good too man. Thanks a lot! I'll keep everyone posted.

Dealership probably just said synchros as a generic response. I don't think synchros would suddenly fail.
Yeah I think it was just one of the "common" problems. I don't think he was necessarily concluding it though.

take anything a service advisor says with a grain of salt.
Yeah I'm with you. I'm not gonna lie though, our dealerships are known to just be BS, not know shit about our cars, give us any kind of BS, but I have to admit that this one is on point. All the guys there drive, mod, and work on their own GT500s and GTs. Fixed a couple buddies' cars as well that had a ton of issues. I'm definitely with you though for the most part with most dealerships.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Same here on the tires.

21,000 miles and 3 track days.
Top two are the fronts, corded on the inside:

attachment.jpg

-T
Sponsored