Same here. 28k miles, 1 auto x, 1 track day

7WfxTe.png
Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If they didn't follow the correct procedure to fill the trans after having it disconnected from the cooler it would be underfilled. That's kind of where I was going on that train of thought.

I'll be curious to hear what the issue turns out to be.
edit:

(OP), What did you have done to the transmission / cooler ? Google returns some postings that link 5th gear issues with low transmission oil.

Last edited:

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
What did you have done to the transmission / cooler ? Google returns some postings that link 5th gear issues with low transmission oil.
I personally didn't have anything done. My car had the engine replaced with the PO and they filled the trans properly.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I personally didn't have anything done. My car had the engine replaced with the PO and they filled the trans properly.
that question was supposed to be directed to the OP. I made an edit to reflect that. Engine replaced with PO? What is PO?

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
that question was supposed to be directed to the OP. I made an edit to reflect that.
Gotcha. Nothing was done to the transmission / cooler. I have a '17 so I never had to go in for any coolers to get installed or anything. As far as low oil, I'm not exactly sure if that's the case or not honestly.

I know the manual states every 5k miles, but since the issues were developed around 18k miles, I haven't driven the car hard consistently enough to become a little concerned about the oil consumption. I haven't had any oil-related issues, but I was approximately 3.8k miles into an oil change. Maybe I can have the dealership just check it just for the hell of it.

Just out of curiosity though, I do see in the manual that we'd get a low oil light if it becomes too low. Is that true? Considering I've seen a lot of people complain about losing oil and never getting a light.

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
nevermind. I thought you had something done to the transmission based on a previous post. What page in the manual does it show that ?

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
nevermind. I thought you had something done to the transmission based on a previous post. What page in the manual does it show that ?
Gotcha. Nope I just had an MGW shifter, that's about the closest thing to the shifter as far as mods go.

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
they took the trans out to swap the clutch. They drain the fluid to take it out

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
they took the trans out to swap the clutch. They drain the fluid to take it out
Ah, ok. You can tell I'm not a mechanic or even remotely close to it, lol. Only oil I was thinking about was engine oil. Ha. So yeah I have absolutely no idea what the condition of the transmission oil is since they've replaced the clutch.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Well, no great news to report back here. I think my dealer wants me to sort of hold back on some information until they can confirm issues, etc. (I asked just to make sure they were cool with me relaying things), so I'll keep you guys posted as much as I can. Long story short at the moment though, I probably won't have my car back for another week or two. They're waiting on a bunch of parts and tools :frusty:

Sponsored
OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Quick update. Still don't have the car and it's been 2 1/2 weeks now. The dealership stated they're going to have to rebuild the transmission. Apparently they can't get approval for a new assembly unless there's more damage, which at this point would result in a lot more time, etc. Very frustrating. They believe that the surging issues was attributed to the connection from the intake arm to the throttle body somehow coming a loose over time. They were able to pretty much slide it off with their hands very easily. So they fixed that, I went and test drove the car, and confirmed that the surging was not existent, although they had re-tuned the car to one of the ghost cam tunes I had from Lund, rather than the normal Lund tune. I'll find out if that's ultimately the issue soon enough.

There's another guy that I've been working with who has had 100% symptoms as me with the car surging and stuff. He's had ford engineers working with him and flying down, etc. to diagnose the issue. They determined the issue to be related to something else. I'll do a full write up on this once everything is confirmed there though.

So according to them, they've got the parts to start rebuilding already and although they've been slammed, they'll get to it ASAP. Guessing I won't have my car back this week either.

As I told my friends, if I have to bring the car back in for any major warranty work after this, I'm getting rid of the car. I didn't spend all of this money just to be going back and forth to the mechanic shop/ford every other month. This is going to be the 5th warranty claim I've had with the car since the day I bought it almost a year and a day ago.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
don't blame you, this sucks man.
It does man. Extremely frustrating and I've been driving a POS ford fiesta for the last two weeks. Most people are just like "oh be thankful you have a rental." This rental is a POS. I'd rather let Ford reimburse me for Uber if I could be quite honest.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Just got a call from Ford relations. They said the dealership won't even be able to get to the car for another 2 days. Lord have mercy.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Quick update. Still don't have the car and it's been 2 1/2 weeks now. The dealership stated they're going to have to rebuild the transmission ...
Can you ask them to provide photos of the broken part(s)?
Sponsored