Sponsored

I road tripped my 2016 GT350 over 3500 miles in 5 days. It was an amazing experience.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
So I work as a finance manager at a Ford dealership in the sticks. I've always loved Mustangs. About 5 months ago I purchased a 2016 Mustang GT PP and loved it. However, 3 short months later, an opportunity to purchase a gently used GT350 Track Pack with only 1500 miles presented itself. So finances be damned, I jumped on it. The car drives and handles like no other car I've ever experienced. You can definitely feel that the power is up high. There's not a whole lot going on below 3500RPM and you can forget about passing in 6th gear, but once it kicks in...buddy does it kick in. And it pulls all the way up to that 8250 redline, only just slightly slacking off above 7600. The cornering is superb. I managed to pull 1.20 G in a LEGAL ENVIRONMENT without the car breaking loose. Only minor complaints from the tires. It looks like a Mustang, but it absolutely does not drive like one. It's quite comfortable on the highway with the suspension in "normal" mode. The only complaint I have about the car is that it's so low that you have to be extremely careful anywhere you go because she loves to scrub. That's only a minor complaint and it can mostly be avoided. Anyway, last week I was supposed to be in Maine proposing to my (ex)girlfriend,but that fell through and I was devastated. Here I had planned this journey that was supposed to change my life, and now what? Go alone? I couldn't face that. I had planned on just keeping the time off from work and relaxing, but about two weeks ago I was on my couch, and the thought just popped into my head. I should go on a road trip. 5 days later I packed my crap, threw it in the car, and set off. I traveled West down I-70, which is gorgeous if not a bit plain (no pun hehe) until I hit Colorado. I saw the most gorgeous sunset I've ever experienced in Kansas, and got to tear up highway 550, the "Million Dollar Highway." The car handled and drove great, but 700 miles a day in the Recaro seats can wear on you. I met a guy in Atkins, Oklahoma driving an RX8 that I spent a good bit of time chatting with about our cars and took an unexpected cannonball run down some curvy road. I'm not sure what else to post, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Album!
http://imgur.com/a/Dph2Y
Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Awesome pictures! Sorry to hear about the ex but congrats on the Shelby! I'm sure driving that everyday will help to keep your spirits high!

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Sorry to hear about your ex. That's always a bummer, but a good road trip can be very therapeutic. I-70 west of Denver is great. I see from your pictures that you did the Estes Park loop. I love that stretch of road and Hwy 550 between Montrose to Durango is one of my favorite runs. I've only done that one a couple of times in a car. Most of the times I've been through that part of the country I've been on two wheels. Thanks for sharing and best of luck for the future!

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Sorry about the girl.

Great pics and documentation of your journey. As life gets busy there aren't many times you have a chance to take these adventures so good for you in doing so. :headbang:

Sponsored

El Diablo

Made in USA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Awesome trip in an awesome car.

I did a 5,000 mile plus round trip NYC to Vegas in my S550 GT.
The Mustang is made for road trips. Nothing like opening it up on those scenic long roads.

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible with Performance Pack
Funny, I have found that things have a way of working themselves out - often fot the best. Just look at the SWEET Shelby you now have. WELL DONE! :clap2:

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Convertible Triple Yellow
Sorry about the girl but congrats on the 350; I "only have a 6" but my wife and have been talking about a long road trip. Seats are surprisingly comfortable, even for my old bones.

Better to do these things while you're young!

Also, kind of refreshing that you didn't compulse about covering your entire front end with painters tape, for fear of a rock chip. :hail:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The girl?

There's another one around every corner. They're fully 1/2 the population of this planet, so forget her.

The car? The pictures?
giphy.gif

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
So I can hear the conversation 2 months ago......

"You buy that Shelby just before we're getting married and we're done!"

You did the right thing OP. Women are dime a dozen. Shelbys are once in a lifetime. :D

.....Says the man that hit the lottery 28 years ago and married the right one that's making enough to buy 4 Shelbys with her yearly income. :headbang: now if we could get the kids off our payroll, I could be driving one too. :frusty:

Sponsored

Martman GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT Premium
Sorry about the girl but congrats on the 350; I "only have a 6" but my wife and have been talking about a long road trip. Seats are surprisingly comfortable, even for my old bones.

Better to do these things while you're young!

Also, kind of refreshing that you didn't compulse about covering your entire front end with painters tape, for fear of a rock chip. :hail:
Brave of you to post that here! But, what does ding dong size have to do with this story? :ninja:

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Convertible Triple Yellow
Brave of you to post that here! But, what does ding dong size have to do with this story? :ninja:
LOL, true, but just like my car, it still puts a smile on her face...:cheers:

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
Congratulations on the road trip. Doing things like that is good for the soul.

I hope you're able to recover quickly from the ex-girl friend. Try to learn what you can and move on to a better relationship.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
That's quite a mix of highs and lows...

The hardest stuff in life leads to the most growth. No doubt, you'll be going over and over the facts and events of this break-up for weeks to come. Just let it happen, be compassionate to yourself and look toward the future with this new (albeit painful) experience under your belt.

Hang in there, man...Car therapy is a real thing. Its hard to feel too bad at 8,000 RPM. You have one hell of a car which puts you in a better place than most heartbroken slobs. :D

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
You guys are great. Thanks for looking. It was definitely for the best. She turned out not to be who I thought she was, so I'm much happier with the 350. I learned a lot about myself for spending such a short time on the road, and learned a lot more about what I want from myself and my life. There's an immense satisfaction with being able to spend the time driving and learning my car with all her ins and outs. Every time I merged onto the highway at lightspeed or dropped it two gears instead of one to pass, I forgot about all that was wrong and smiled like an idiot. And 550 was DEFINITELY therapeutic. Nothing like the possibility of oversteering yourself into a 10000 foot plunge to get the blood rushing and demand your focus.
Sponsored